CA proposes bill so employees cannot stop shoplifters (Read 1295 times)

changemyoil66

CA proposes bill so employees cannot stop shoplifters
« on: June 07, 2023, 09:01:13 AM »
Yup, in Kommiforina.

Wonder if they're going to do the same for home invasions and self defense.  Or self defense outside the home since more CCW's are issued.  Next is HI.

hvybarrels

Re: CA proposes bill so employees cannot stop shoplifters
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:15:26 AM »
When Cali runs out of uhauls and the grid can’t charge your Tesla

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

groveler

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:47:44 AM »
Pardon the length on this.
I was a cross country runner and lived in a rough neighborhood.
I worked in a liquor store there.
A guy grabbed a six pack of beer ran out and the boss said go get him
so I did. I ran him down, tackled him, and subdued him.
Cops showed up really very quickly. put him in cuffs and
read me the riot act.
If I weren't a minor( I was 16) Cop said he would have
arrested me for assault.
For taking down a 35 year old thief?
They told me to get out of there.
I took the beer back to the store.
California in 1972.
 :wacko:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 11:33:19 AM »
On a related note, Walgreens has just unveiled a new anti-theft retail store design, complete with kiosks to place orders.  Stock is kept locked up in storerooms.  No customers are allowed to have access to the merchandise before it's paid for.

I remember Service Merchandise was similar.  They had a demo/representative item on display -- sometimes tethered to an alarm with a security cable or under a locked plexiglass case.  You shopped the display items, then you pulled a paper ticket for each item you purchased.  You took the tickets to a register, paid, and the items would show up on a conveyer belt for pickup.  Very similar system to how Circuit City worked.  If  there were no more paper tickets for an item, that indicated it was out of stock, but it was always good to ask.  Sometimes kids would collect the tickets for amusement.   :wacko:

Law enforcement can't/won't stop the looting (it's way beyond just shoplifting now), so the retailers have to find some way to serve the public and stay in business.

Walgreens Causes a Stir by Unveiling 'Anti-Theft' Store
With Radical New Security Measures

A revamped Walgreens location in downtown Chicago reopened Tuesday
with only two shoppable aisles of so-called “essentials” — presumably
inexpensive items not typically shoplifted.

If a customer wants anything not on display in one of those aisles, he can
order it from a kiosk and pick up your order from the counter.

“Let us do the shopping” a sign next to one of the tablet-sized kiosks read
(emphasis original).
https://ijr.com/walgreens-causes-stir-unveiling-anti-theft-store-radical-new-security-measures/

You know curb-side pick-up became popular during the pandemic.  I think that might be the next iteration. 

"Order online, stay in your car, and we'll bring your order to you."

After that -- 2-hour home delivery.  Anything that keeps the looters away from the merchandise.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 11:35:40 AM »
When Cali runs out of uhauls and the grid can’t charge your Tesla

A salt weapon.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 12:02:56 PM »

You know curb-side pick-up became popular during the pandemic.  I think that might be the next iteration. 

I tried this for the first time a few months ago and liked it.  But it was only for a bag of cat food.  I can imagine that errors do happen, so 1 should check their items before the employee leaves.  The plus side to doing this, especially at Walmart is you only buy what you need since you're not browsing the aisles.

What I have been doing more recently is ordering what I need online and having it shipped (free shipping) to me.  With sensitive places, I choose to do this for now. Just need to adjust to not waiting until something is empty or near there before you order. Rule of thumb is, if it's half gone, reorder.

groveler

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 12:22:10 PM »
On a related note, Walgreens has just unveiled a new anti-theft retail store design, complete with kiosks to place orders.  Stock is kept locked up in storerooms.  No customers are allowed to have access to the merchandise before it's paid for.

I remember Service Merchandise was similar.  They had a demo/representative item on display -- sometimes tethered to an alarm with a security cable or under a locked plexiglass case.  You shopped the display items, then you pulled a paper ticket for each item you purchased.  You took the tickets to a register, paid, and the items would show up on a conveyer belt for pickup.  Very similar system to how Circuit City worked.  If  there were no more paper tickets for an item, that indicated it was out of stock, but it was always good to ask.  Sometimes kids would collect the tickets for amusement.   :wacko:

Law enforcement can't/won't stop the looting (it's way beyond just shoplifting now), so the retailers have to find some way to serve the public and stay in business.

Walgreens Causes a Stir by Unveiling 'Anti-Theft' Store
With Radical New Security Measures
https://ijr.com/walgreens-causes-stir-unveiling-anti-theft-store-radical-new-security-measures/

After that -- 2-hour home delivery.  Anything that keeps the looters away from the merchandise.
Because I live in rural Hawaii, I do a significant amount of shopping on-line.
My closest Home depot is an hour away.
I hate using it,  but Amazon covers most all the other bases.
That seems the way to go to stop thefts.
Malls are dead, as long as we have the Black and Democrat "privileged"
culture in the USA, we have to adjust.
The kiosk idea works for me.
 :thumbsup:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 12:34:44 PM »
I tried this for the first time a few months ago and liked it.  But it was only for a bag of cat food.  I can imagine that errors do happen, so 1 should check their items before the employee leaves.  The plus side to doing this, especially at Walmart is you only buy what you need since you're not browsing the aisles.

What I have been doing more recently is ordering what I need online and having it shipped (free shipping) to me.  With sensitive places, I choose to do this for now. Just need to adjust to not waiting until something is empty or near there before you order. Rule of thumb is, if it's half gone, reorder.

I've used curbside pickup at Target in Kapolei a few times, twice at Ace Hardware in Wahiawa, and once at the Mililani Walmart.  Not a single hiccup.

I also recently made an online purchase at Home Depot in Pearl City.  They have a system where they place your order in a locker at the front entrance.  You're emailed an order number and a QR code.  Show that code to the electronic reader, and it unlocks the locker that contains your items.  No need to go inside the store.   :thumbsup:  Anything that won't fit in a locker will be waiting for you at customer service.

Some of these methods existed before, and others were implemented because of the pandemic. 

I don't see any reason to fear problems.  If they happen, you can relax while they fix it for you.  It's not like Amazon where you have to ship things back and wait for replacements.

There's a hoarding mentality here on island.  If something is on sale, you better get it then or you might miss out.  I usually shop sales, so if I will need something soon-ish, I go ahead and pick it up until I run out of the old.  That satisfies the extra time required if mail-ordered, and saves me money since I can't always find discounts when I run out.

I'm also an IT guy.  Always have a backup.   :geekdanc: :thumbsup:
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 02:24:15 PM »
How far off in the future where home invaders can invade and take what they want and you cannot intervene.  Even sexual assault and physical violence.  Maybe even murder.

Never would happen some would say.  I dunno.  Some of the shit happening nowadays I'd never thought would happen in a million lifetimes.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 05:42:00 PM »
I've noticed Lowe's and HD have what looks like HPD surveillance poles which appear to run on solar.  At the top of the pole I see a couple of cameras and a loud speaker.  I heard the loudspeaker being used at Lowe's today for a promo announcement.

I can only imagine these are intended as deterrents against the same looting we see on the mainland.  Lots of high-priced inventory they don't want leaving the store without payment.

I guess it makes sense.  Store employees can't physically detain anyone who wants to really get away without escalating to assault.  Maybe Cops arriving on scene can make arrests before the looters leave?
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 02:08:06 PM »
Okay.  I have to update my experiences with online ordering and pickup services.

My new range needs a 40A circuit minimum, so I was going the cheap/easy route of just upgrading the 3-wire/30A receptacle to 3-wire/50A and reuse the old plug.

I bought a 50A range receptacle at the Waipahu Lowe's around 2pm.  Back at home, I noticed I actually had a 4-wire/50A rated cable, even though it was only using 3 wires. 

After verifying the 4 wires were properly connected to the breaker box, I decided to upgrade to the newer 4-wire standard. That meant a different receptacle than the one I bought plus a 4-prong plug.

I figured it'd be quicker to order the 4-wire parts on the Lowe's website and do the return and pickup at customer service. 

I placed the order and waited for the "Ready to pick up" email.  About 9pm, the email still hadn't been delivered.  I checked and checked -- no email.  Then I checked the Lowe's app on my phone, and it said my order was ready for pick up.

I mentioned the missing email  to the service counter rep, but she seemed more interested in doing paperwork so she can leave on time.  When I got home, i saw the email finally arrived.

Had I waited and not checked my app, I would have been delayed until the next day.

My guess is the email was sent after the store employee realized (based on my comment) she hadn't updated my order status after pulling the items.  Yet, that doesn't explain why the app showed ready, but the email arrived much later.

Order placed: 6:46
App showed order was ready:  9:04 (no idea when that was updated -- could have been 20 minutes after placing my order?)
Email receipt showing when order was picked up:  9:25
Email notification that my order was ready:  9:38

The items were what I ordered, so no problems there.  Just the "system" to let customers know their order is ready appears to be flawed.
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 02:16:10 PM »
it's just a matter of time...there's already tracking gimbals for small cameras

Deeds Not Words

rpoL98

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 04:09:41 PM »
looks like Iwilei Home Depot?  I wonder if they got the bolt cutters from the hand tools.  sorry, it's tweeter.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1679842242821779457

ETA:
sorry, didn't realize it's old news.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/07/07/29-year-old-man-arrested-following-brazen-theft-caught-camera-home-depot/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:14:48 AM by rpoL98 »

RSN172

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 09:38:48 AM »
How far off in the future where home invaders can invade and take what they want and you cannot intervene.  Even sexual assault and physical violence.  Maybe even murder.

Never would happen some would say.  I dunno.  Some of the shit happening nowadays I'd never thought would happen in a million lifetimes.
Don’t know about others, but I personally don’t care what the law says. If someone invaded my home, they would be shot.  It wouldn’t be like they made a mistake like knocking
on the wrong door or trying to enter the wrong house.  Where I live houses are far apart and don’t look the same.  I also have a locked gate.  I am pretty sure most of the guys here
would do the same.  I am not letting some asshole politicians tell me what I can or cannot do when my and my family’s safety is threatened.

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2023, 10:12:20 AM »
Don’t know about others, but I personally don’t care what the law says. If someone invaded my home, they would be shot.  It wouldn’t be like they made a mistake like knocking
on the wrong door or trying to enter the wrong house.  Where I live houses are far apart and don’t look the same.  I also have a locked gate.  I am pretty sure most of the guys here
would do the same.  I am not letting some asshole politicians tell me what I can or cannot do when my and my family’s safety is threatened.

And if a younger person were to do this, they would be at minimum tried in civil court by bad guys family. Which means owner would have to pay for a lawyer.

Worst case scenario is the state wants to make an example of you. So you get arrested and have to pay for a defense lawyer.  In the mean time, you lose your job and if you have kids, CPS takes them away. If you're married, you also may get divorced.  Then add in the civil trial after all of this.

So the point is that this CA law is trying to only apply to businesses. But how long before it then applies to your car. Then to your home?  CA is playing the long game and their corrupt politicians know that most people don't' think ahead or see the bigger picture.

Many states, including HI already have a "duty to retreat" law, which only protects the criminal.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2023, 03:25:16 PM »
My duty to retreat also includes doing a mag dump on yo ass. ;)
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

RSN172

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 04:10:58 PM »
And if a younger person were to do this, they would be at minimum tried in civil court by bad guys family. Which means owner would have to pay for a lawyer.

Worst case scenario is the state wants to make an example of you. So you get arrested and have to pay for a defense lawyer.  In the mean time, you lose your job and if you have kids, CPS takes them away. If you're married, you also may get divorced.  Then add in the civil trial after all of this.

So the point is that this CA law is trying to only apply to businesses. But how long before it then applies to your car. Then to your home?  CA is playing the long game and their corrupt politicians know that most people don't' think ahead or see the bigger picture.

Many states, including HI already have a "duty to retreat" law, which only protects the criminal.

My advantage is I am old and the older I get the less I care. I also have SD insurance which is supposed to cover the Civil suit. I wonder what the consequences would be if someone broke in while I was sleeping and my two 120 lb Rottweilers tore them apart.

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2023, 04:42:17 PM »
My advantage is I am old and the older I get the less I care. I also have SD insurance which is supposed to cover the Civil suit. I wonder what the consequences would be if someone broke in while I was sleeping and my two 120 lb Rottweilers tore them apart.
Same same. So buy robot dog with guns attached.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RSN172

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2023, 05:59:10 PM »
Same same. So buy robot dog with guns attached.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Ok. I go stat saving money. Whea get fo buy dat?

aieahound

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2023, 10:28:40 AM »
My duty to retreat also includes doing a mag dump on yo ass. ;)

Your Honor, I was covering my retreat.

I like that.