government unions (Read 966 times)

groveler

government unions
« on: October 30, 2023, 10:19:55 AM »
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/gm-autoworkers-union-reach-tentative-deal-end-strike-reports

GMC civilian cars just died.
Nobody in their right mind buys a new car or an EV POS
all that does is make union guys rich and the Managers even richer.
any product that drops in value 20% or more once you buy and drive it is not a good investment.
Maybe buyers who live in cities and never drove 10 to 20 hours to visit family on the mainland
will buy their crap.  I won't.
I was a union member most my working life. I hate unions.
I hate non-union companies even more. They tend to be abusive.
UAW asks for shit that is laughable.
How about just an honest days pay for an honest days work?
Long shore man can't even figure that one out.
I've been both UAW and ILWU plus some others.
We pay dearly for lazy asses to sit around and do nothing.
Y'all think about that when you buy your next new car.
 :grrr: >:D

zippz

Re: government unions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 11:16:13 AM »
I feel somewhat the same way when unions abuse their power and ask for things beyond what they should be receiving at the expense of others.  But there is a purpose for unions for safety issues and wrong doing by the employer.

I'm part of a union and going through a big mess right now with a competing union trying to take over.  I'll have a good story when this is over.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »
There's a major difference between private industry unions and government unions.  The private companies have a vested interest in keeping workers somewhat content so everyone makes a living.

With government unions, it seems more like a game of trying to catch someone appointed to a management position breaking a rule and using that as leverage to get more government concessions.  Most of the time, the person was unaware the rule even existed.

We had to deal with the government employees' union at Langley AFB, VA.  Since I supervised 2-3 civilians, I had to take the union training class and attend meetings whenever a new rule was added.

If anyone on the base who qualified as "management level" -- GS or higher, or any officer or NCO -- broke a union rule, the sign in front of the main gate blasted the base commander as having committed unfair labor practices.   I only saw that happen once in my 3 years there.

What bothers me most is the rules that governed union employee's supervisors were also covered under a slew of EEOC and other employment laws.  There was no actual reason for a union other than giving the power to enforce and punish to union leaders.  Anyone who was subjected to unfair labor practices had at least 5 levels of offices they could file complaints with and have their accusations investigated. 

In that case, it seemed unions were redundant, as the unions of the past were able to have their fair practices and rules codified into law.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 12:27:31 PM »
Unions do just enough to keep the head guys pockets full and in power.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 01:09:31 PM »
I was a private sector union member.

As an apprentice I, along with countless other apprentices, were brainwashed by the union, telling us that the best of the best in terms of hard work and skill were in the union.  That the non-union sector harbored the lazy, dumb, unskilled workers that nobody wanted.

When I became a journeyman, I looked around me and realized:

It was the opposite.  The non-union companies recognized the hard working, skilled workers and compensated them with compatible union wages and benefits that rivaled or bettered their union counterparts.  These workers ended up with a better compensation package because they did not have to pay union dues.

And the lazy, dumb, unskilled workers that the non-union companies passed over?

Where do you think they ended up...... :crazy:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Wchiro

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 07:31:43 PM »
I was a government Union worker for 30 years (not really fond of Unions). One thing I hate about Unions is that they protect people who really should be fired.  Also entry level workers received the same pay as skilled old timers  :wtf: who had to teach the new guys which really sucked.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 02:09:53 AM »
I was a government Union worker for 30 years (not really fond of Unions). One thing I hate about Unions is that they protect people who really should be fired.  Also entry level workers received the same pay as skilled old timers  :wtf: who had to teach the new guys which really sucked.

Really?  I always thought unions prized seniority over performance.  Learned something new I guess.

What i thought was people in the same job category all make equal pay, and when Old Ben retires, his replacement will be the person with the highest seniority that meets the job requirements, not necessarily the best qualified person.

I do know unions make it very difficult to fire anyone if they are meeting at least the minimum standards for their position.  That all goes back to whoever wrote and approved the position descriptions for each job.  If the existing standards are not high enough to weed out the under-achievers, maybe there needs to better standards.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 09:01:19 AM »
I know of a guy who is a total ass, but knows how to articulate things well.  He was part of the hotel union and couldn't get fired.  Well along comes covid and everyone got fired and the hotel didn't bring him back.  Many hotels used this to "clean house" for those who they couldn't fire.