Interesting shooting in Wisconsin (Read 4205 times)

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Interesting shooting in Wisconsin
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »
This is an interesting story just posted in Wisconsin.  A person, technically illegally carrying a pistol, shot a couple of people trying to rob him.  I wonder how this story would play out in Hawaii.  Negative media spin playing up how evil the shooter was and how young the 'victims' were?  What is your take?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/53141847.html

A 17-year-old Milwaukee boy was shot and killed as he and a 19-year-old associate tried to rob a man on the city's north side early Thursday, police said.

The teen who died apparently shot the older teen during the robbery attempt, according to a Milwaukee Police Department spokesman.

The shootings occurred about 2:50 a.m. in the 2600 block of N. 1st St. When the suspects confronted a 22-year-old man on the street he pulled out his own gun and shot the younger teen, police Sgt. Mark Stanmeyer said. Somehow, the older teen was shot and received a non-life threatening injury, Stanmeyer said.

The surviving robbery suspect and alleged victim were arrested, Stanmeyer said. The Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office will review the incident to determine whether charges will be brought against the robbery victim, the sergeant said.

Stanmeyer did not identify any of the people involved in the incident.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

HiCarry

Re: Interesting shooting in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
He'd be arrested and spend some time in jail, regardless of the circumstances or how obvious it was that the use of deadly force was justified.

If anyone doubts that, then just look to what happened when a man used a kitchen knife to kill a home intrusion perp who was attacking his (the homeowner's) girlfriend. Despite the fact that the police were called out on two occasions prior for the same intruder that day, the owner was still arrested. WHen he was finally let out of jail, our PA, Peter Carlisle, (who wants to be our next Mayor...) said the homeowner was "clearly justified" in his use of deadly force. If it was so obvious, why did the guy have to spend the night in jail? Can you imagine if the owner had used something a politically incorrect (at least here in Hawaii) as a gun to defend his loved one?

Here's a link to the story: http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/03/23/news/story09.html

Anubis

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:46:16 PM »
A person, technically illegally carrying a pistol...

The article did not state the man was carrying a concealed pistol; unlicensed open carry is legal in Wisconsin.

If this occurred in Hawaii, I would expect him to be arrested and charged for having a pistol on him outside his property.  HiCarry's linked story supports this theory---seems like self defense is frowned on in Hawaii, if not downright illegal.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:58:57 PM by Anubis »
located in Arapahoe County, CO

Antithesis

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »
I'm confused by some of the language in the article.  So the would-be-victim shot the younger robber, and the younger robber in turn shot the older robber? 
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:58:19 AM »
I believe that is correct. The younger robber accidentally shot the older robber.

Maybe it was like in those action movies where the bad-guy get's shot, and while he's going down, shoots his bad-guy buddy.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here