When I got the raw data for 2017 from Mr. Perrone back in February I'm pretty sure I posted this summary I made on the site here in some thread or other, but for convenience:
2017 applicants/denials
Hawaii County 2/2
Honolulu County 7/7
Kauai County 1/1
Maui County 3/3
State Total 13/13
Reason(s) for denials:
Hawaii County: "Did not meet chief's discretion." "Did not meet chief's criteria for license to carry."
Honolulu County: "Does not meet chief's criteria." "Does not meet chief's criteria for license to carry."
Kauai County: "Denied per chief." "No justification."
Maui County: "Does not meet criteria under 134-9."
Note: 181 "security" licenses to carry were issued to 181 applicants for those licenses.
* * * * *
Here is another summary that I tabulated and pretty sure I also posted here somewhere... for the entire period of record keeping:
Hawaii CCW (“Citizen”) License Applications and Determinations
2000-2017
As annually reported by the Research and Statistics Branch of the Crime Prevention and Justice Assistance Division of the State of Hawaii Office of Attorney General (The reports can be found online at
http://ag.hawaii.gov/cpja/rs/). Those documents also record the number of open carry (“security”) licenses applied for and granted or denied. [Edit: Of course NOW the AG claims that "open carry" and "security" are not synonymous (i.e. any "citizen" could have applied for and been granted an "open carry" license..

) even though
in fact they always have been synonymous...]
2017
14 denials O 7, M3, H 2, K 2
2016
27 denials O 16, H 6, K 5
2015
44 denials Oahu (O) 27, Hawaii County (H) 12, Kauai (K) 3, Maui (M) 2
2014
21 denials O 19, K 2
2013
7 denials O 7,
1 issued K
2012
5 denials O 4, M 1
2011
8 denials O 8
(From the annual state report: license applications denied “for not meeting unstated criteria established by the chief of police.”
2010
3 denials O 3
2009
3 denials O 3
2008
1 denial (“From the respective county police chief.”)
2007
7 denials (“From the respective county police chief.”)
2006
0 denials
1 issued, K
2005
6 denials, O 6
2004
5 denials, O 5
2003
1 denial (location not stated)
2002
4 denials (locations not stated)
2001
8 denials (by “respective police chiefs”)
2 issued, M 2
2000
1 denied (no location given)