Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops? (Read 3602 times)

RSN172

Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« on: January 19, 2023, 10:39:19 PM »
So about 2030 hrs tonight someone fired about a dozen rounds over a 3 minute span.  Sounded pretty close.  It is now 2230 hrs, 2 hours later and no cops.  I guess nobody bothered to call. I know I didn't.   I love it. Just part of the life in rural Puna.  No wonder cops don't like to come here.  They could get shot and nobody would even come out to see what was going on.
Happily living in Puna

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 01:00:45 AM »
Maybe the Cops were the ones shooting?

it happens.   :shaka:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 07:29:04 AM »
Maybe the Cops were the ones shooting?

it happens.   :shaka:
=========
LOL
yeah I know something about that :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 08:34:36 AM »
Maybe the Cops were the ones shooting?

it happens.   :shaka:

Desk pops have been updated to cruiser pops.

RSN172

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 10:28:40 AM »
Maybe the Cops were the ones shooting?

it happens.   :shaka:
If they were they need better training because apparently whatever they were shooting at didn't get hit. I give some slack since it was at night and we don't have street lights here. It is pitch black dark at night since we are approaching a new moon.
Happily living in Puna

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 11:06:27 AM »
If they were they need better training because apparently whatever they were shooting at didn't get hit. I give some slack since it was at night and we don't have street lights here. It is pitch black dark at night since we are approaching a new moon.

Cops shoot for practice, too.  I didn't say they were shooting at someone or anything that needed killing.

 :shake: :wave:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 11:24:50 AM »
: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
=================

next question....
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:02:12 PM »
How did this stereotype of cops and doughnuts come about? :rofl: :rofl:

I'll google and see what I can dig up.  Seems like forever that cops and doughnuts are as American as apple pie. ;D
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 12:38:59 PM »
How did this stereotype of cops and doughnuts come about? :rofl: :rofl:

I'll google and see what I can dig up.  Seems like forever that cops and doughnuts are as American as apple pie. ;D

it's a stereotype based on decades of observed behavior.

Quote
Over at Atlas Obscura, writer Cara Giaimo delves into the doughy lore, tracing the
unflattering cliché’s origins back to the mid-20th century. During this time, Giaimo
writes, police departments started covering their beats by car instead of by foot.
During the graveyard shift, doughnut shops were convenient late-night spots to fill
out paperwork, drink coffee, park a cruiser, and make an emergency phone call.

A reciprocal relationship was born. The doughnut shops felt protected with the police
on their premises, and officers enjoyed having a place to refuel. Some small-town
doughnut shops kept special desks for police officers. Other kitchens developed such
strong alliances with local law enforcement that top officers warned cops against
accepting the sweet treats for fear they’d appear biased. Soon, cops became synonymous
with doughnuts—and popular culture immortalized the relationship.

However, the relationship between doughnuts and our country’s servicemen goes far
deeper than the modern-day cop cliché, Giaimo points out. In World War I, Salvation
Army volunteers served doughnuts to the soldiers on the front lines in France. In the
1920s, the Red Cross provided free doughnuts for veterans who were living abroad.
In fact, the tradition of serving doughnuts to America's protective forces can be traced
all the way back to a New York Times article from 1898, in which volunteer cooks
served a group of soldiers a batch of the homemade pastries.

This simple gesture of care might have stuck with relief organizations over the years,
and perhaps helped gave rise to the contemporary cop-doughnut stereotype that we
laugh about today. In any case, the hackneyed caricature has a sweet origin story—
no matter which way you swallow it.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/69102/where-does-stereotype-about-cops-and-doughnuts-come

It's not been that long ago that cell phones and 7-11s didn't exist.  24/7 businesses that served coffee and pastries were few and far between.

I know in NC, Waffle House has always been a favorite of Cops and Truckers.  Any place they can sit down to take a coffee break was frequented by Cops after midnight, especially if they regularly comped the Cops' checks.  Often I'd see several patrol cars parked outside of Waffle House and KrispyKreme.

Once patrolmen stopped walking their beat and switched to cars, the weight was harder to keep off.  Seeing a portly Cop eating donuts just made the stereotype even harder to shake.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 12:46:30 PM »
How did this stereotype of cops and doughnuts come about? :rofl: :rofl:

I'll google and see what I can dig up.  Seems like forever that cops and doughnuts are as American as apple pie. ;D
==============
sorry, I'll take any excuse to show off my babies. LOL

What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 10:55:55 PM »
So about 2030 hrs tonight someone fired about a dozen rounds over a 3 minute span.  Sounded pretty close.  It is now 2230 hrs, 2 hours later and no cops.  I guess nobody bothered to call. I know I didn't.   I love it. Just part of the life in rural Puna.  No wonder cops don't like to come here.  They could get shot and nobody would even come out to see what was going on.

Is it possible they came quietly and you didn't notice?

RSN172

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 12:01:05 PM »
Is it possible they came quietly and you didn't notice?
No. I have a camera with excellent night vision mounted 15 ft high on a tree to see my gate and the road.  It has a micro SD card that records the last 7 days on a continuous loop. I viewed the playback.  No cops and no neighbors even bothered to come out and check the road.  I had one neighbor call to ask if it was me shooting and if not, if I was ok.  Other than that, nothing.

Where I live people don't like cops coming around.  For some reason I don't understand, they don't seem to like them very much.
Happily living in Puna

eyeeatingfish

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 09:27:58 PM »
No. I have a camera with excellent night vision mounted 15 ft high on a tree to see my gate and the road.  It has a micro SD card that records the last 7 days on a continuous loop. I viewed the playback.  No cops and no neighbors even bothered to come out and check the road.  I had one neighbor call to ask if it was me shooting and if not, if I was ok.  Other than that, nothing.

Where I live people don't like cops coming around.  For some reason I don't understand, they don't seem to like them very much.

Oh, crazy. Even if they were just slammed, someone should have come out even if it were 2 hours late.

Maybe people there would be more friendly if the cops came around more and interacted with people out there positively.

RSN172

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 12:07:15 AM »
Oh, crazy. Even if they were just slammed, someone should have come out even if it were 2 hours late.

Maybe people there would be more friendly if the cops came around more and interacted with people out there positively.
Where I live it is a 10 minute drive to get to a paved road (unless you are like my daughter in her Jeep who does it in 8). Cops never came because nobody would bother to call.
Happily living in Puna

robtmc

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 08:37:47 AM »
If they were they need better training because apparently whatever they were shooting at didn't get hit.

From all the polices shootings in the last few years on the BI, they usually miss.

RSN172

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 12:24:06 PM »
From all the polices shootings in the last few years on the BI, they usually miss.
You mean somebody on da BI who Iike commit suicide by cop gotta spend money for go Oahu?
Happily living in Puna

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Shots Fired, Where Are the Cops?
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 12:32:49 PM »
You mean somebody on da BI who Iike commit suicide by cop gotta spend money for go Oahu?

Just have to walk up closer so the Cops don't miss.  Five yards ought to do it.

 :wave:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw