May is National Military Appreciation Month (Read 3237 times)

new guy

May is National Military Appreciation Month
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:27:47 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper

macsak

Re: May is National Military Appreciation Month
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:23:54 PM »
shouldn't every month be national military appreciation month?

mahalos to all that have served, are serving, and will serve

To the ladies and gentlemen of the U.S. Armed Forces:

Thank you for your service.

Respectfully,
new guy

 :shaka:

clshade

Re: May is National Military Appreciation Month
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Word.

 :shaka:

Fun little story (and the reason I make a terrible liberal)

Fresh outta college, my new wife and I were struggling to make a living in Portland, OR. I took the first job I could get: canvasing for the Oregon Public Interest Research Group (OSPIRG). Wow. A buncha good folks who really thought they were making a difference in the world. I didn't say that I thought they were a little full of it and that I was just there to get a paycheck, but they really were good people. I didn't do too well in that job...

I remember clearly though it was damn near 20 years ago. Knocked on a door and a retired man answered the door wearing a blue cap with "USS Somethin'" on it with scrambled eggs along the edge of the visor. My brother, ex-navy, had a similar hat so I knew what that meant. After my brief, mandatory, little pitch asking for money for some liberal, environmental cause that I can't remember and establishing that he wasn't interested in supporting it I said "Fair enough, sir, and thanks for you time. Did you serve in the Navy, by any chance?"

He was quite surprised and said that he had for most of his adult life.

"My brother was in the Navy during Desert Shield, sir, and I know how tough it can be on you and your family. Thank you so much for you service, I really appreciate it."

He looked at me for a moment and said "Son, you been out walkin' around all night. You want to sit and have a cup of coffee before you go?"

So I sat in his living room and he told me about life onboard the "USS Sumthin'", about his children and grandchildren, and I told him about my brother and my family. After 20 minutes or so I said "Well, I've really enjoyed this but technically I'm still on the clock so I should get going. Thanks again."

He looked at me with one of those looks that only an elder can give a young man and asked

"Son, do you really believe in this cause that you were talking about?"

I thought about it for a moment.

"I'm not old enough to know what the best thing to do is, but this seems like a cause worth fighting for until I know what the best thing is. So, yes and no. I know that our quality of life is linked to the quality of our environment and this is pretty much the only avenue I know of to support that."

He looked at me for a long moment.

"Son, I still don't think I can give you any money but I highly respect you. You have a good night and take care, now."

When I briefly related the wonderful conversation I had with the Navy vet my coworkers scoffed and told me that I was wasting my time: conservative vets never give anything.

At that moment I quit that job. That single conversation did more good for the "cause" (and for me) because it was a ~human~ moment, a human connection across ideological divides, and not a one-sided financial appeal. My devout coworkers couldn't understand that.

I've always been thankful for that conversation with that vet. It was a formative moment for a young, idealist man.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:08:33 PM by clshade »

ImKu

Re: May is National Military Appreciation Month
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing clshade  :thumbsup:

Let us not forget to recognize the military spouses who stand by their loved ones as they fight/fly/sail, move bases, and take part in an unusual culture.  I wasn't issued my wife in my sea bag... but I couldn't have got this far without her. 
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

Jl808

Re: May is National Military Appreciation Month
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
^^^ nice. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.

:Shaka: to all the people in our armed services, here on 2a or not.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

tuor

Re: May is National Military Appreciation Month
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 07:20:29 AM »
As a little kid I looked forward to May because that was when Hickam and all the other bases would have Open House weekend.  Looking at all the planes and displays made for an awesome day for me.  I remember they even let select people fire the M60 MG one time I was there - right on the field where the Army and ARNG displays were.  They were firing belts of blanks of course.  I (and all the kids that gathered around for that display) got some brass from that too.   I also remember they had the Vulcan AAA battery setup and I think I remember it was pointed at aircraft approaching HNL!    There were shuttle buses that you could hop on to get to Pearl and take tours aboard ships too.  Unfortunately most of that is gone now, I think Hickam only opens up when the Thunderbirds are in town and Kaneohe MCB only opens up during Bayfest.  Thanks in part to the shitheads who carried out 9/11/2001 although they may have stopped doing the annual Open House just before that. 

Now that I work for the Navy I get to see and sometimes experience a brief taste of what their lives are like.  When I got the chance, I told a couple of enlisted Submariners that I had a lot of respect for what they do everyday no matter how mundane.  And I definitely have a lot of respect for military families that can deal with that kind of life.  I know some women have that attraction to uniforms, but when they find out everything that comes with wearing the uniform many can't deal with it. 

To all of you who signed those forms to enlist or earn their commissions, thank you for what you do - no matter what it is. 
Life NRA Member
Life SAF Member

macsak

Re: May is National Military Appreciation Month
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
bayfest and pearl harbor 4th of july fireworks cancelled due to sequestration :(

but it is not to be blamed on the president, just like all the other things

did you guys see this morning when he had the balls to say that the safety of our overseas diplomats is of primary importance and that he would have to get congress to work with him so that they can get the money to keep them safe?

As a little kid I looked forward to May because that was when Hickam and all the other bases would have Open House weekend.  Looking at all the planes and displays made for an awesome day for me.  I remember they even let select people fire the M60 MG one time I was there - right on the field where the Army and ARNG displays were.  They were firing belts of blanks of course.  I (and all the kids that gathered around for that display) got some brass from that too.   I also remember they had the Vulcan AAA battery setup and I think I remember it was pointed at aircraft approaching HNL!    There were shuttle buses that you could hop on to get to Pearl and take tours aboard ships too.  Unfortunately most of that is gone now, I think Hickam only opens up when the Thunderbirds are in town and Kaneohe MCB only opens up during Bayfest.  Thanks in part to the shitheads who carried out 9/11/2001 although they may have stopped doing the annual Open House just before that. 

Now that I work for the Navy I get to see and sometimes experience a brief taste of what their lives are like.  When I got the chance, I told a couple of enlisted Submariners that I had a lot of respect for what they do everyday no matter how mundane.  And I definitely have a lot of respect for military families that can deal with that kind of life.  I know some women have that attraction to uniforms, but when they find out everything that comes with wearing the uniform many can't deal with it. 

To all of you who signed those forms to enlist or earn their commissions, thank you for what you do - no matter what it is.