Bolt Action .22 (Read 3377 times)

MantisClaw

Bolt Action .22
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:41:48 AM »
I have a friend who's looking to buy his first firearm.   He's looking for something bolt action and while he's not picky about caliber, I figured no better place to start then .22LR.  Does anyone have any recommendations about the various bolt action .22s?

Teichi

Re: Bolt Action .22
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:55:09 AM »
CZ 452 or 453. Savage MKII is good too.

AmbuBadger

Re: Bolt Action .22
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
I have a Ruger 77/17 that I bought a .22lr barrel for, and she's a very well-built gun. Usually up there in price, but keep an eye out for places like OGC-- I got mine there for under $250. They take the same magazines as the 10/22, and are far better built than the bolt-action Mossbergs Sports Authority has from time to time. It's a gun I would recommend buying if he's the type to spend a little extra now for something he wants to hold on to. As for the CZ, my cousin has their lower-end 452, but it's still a fine gun. Trigger could use a bit of work though, very rough. The higher-end CZs are beautiful.

Tom_G

Re: Bolt Action .22
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »
You won't go wrong with a Savage.  All of their .22 rifles are excellent in terms of price/performance ratio.  And, they are one of the few manufacturers out there who make left-handed bolt actions.  They definitely have a model in your price range (whatever that price range is.  They have a LOT of models and options).

Stalk the local gun shops, and look for a Mossberg in the M44 family.  Excellent guns with excellent sights.

Also, take a look at the CMP. 
http://thecmp.org/Sales/rifles.htm
They have both surplus and new .22 target rifles.  These are guns for people who are serious about their .22 accuracy
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Heavies

Re: Bolt Action .22
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »
I have been using a Savage MKII BV. Great value and very accurate with the right ammo.
I use it for cheap practice for long-range wind reading, shooting it at 100 yards with a scope. It is possible to land 10 rounds of Wolf Match Target inside of an inch, as long as I read the gusts and letoffs correcty.

I am working on mounting some aperture sights right now. Change it up a little. Hehe.