Do you post gun pics with the Serial Number?? (Read 2093 times)

moosed

  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 867
  • Total likes: 0
  • Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Do you post gun pics with the Serial Number??
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
Hi,

I was discussing with another forum member/friend the possible reasons why some would blot out the serial numbers of guns they post online.  As I thought about the potential for misuse and did some Googling (yeah, it's a verb now!), I discovered some things:

(1)  One argument for blotting serials:  scammers using the pics for creating gun auction/for sale ads.   Detailed ads with serials are more believable for buyers.  The buyers can also run a check to see if the firearm was reported stolen.

(2)  Another:  someone might try to use your firearms information for insurance fraud.  Not all places register all guns.  Your firearm could be listed in a fire or theft claim for payment.  Unless there is a need, Law Enforcement may never let you know your firearm was reported lost or stolen.

(3)  someone might think they are doing a good thing getting guns confiscated by reporting your gun as stolen from them.  In Hawaii, not much chance unless the gun was never registered.

(4)  The main argument AGAINST blotting out serials was "you're paranoid!  I've never heard of anyone ever doing any of this!"

As I said, I did some research.  This is from 2011.  I hope this information helps someone else:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/internet-scammer-paul-webster-caught-anti-fraud-tips-from-gunsamerica/
When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".

BananaClip

Re: Do you post gun pics with the Serial Number??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »
I try not to but sometimes I post pics without thinking...   :(

 
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"- Genesis1:1 KJV

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

"Once Blind But Now i See"

Tom_G

Re: Do you post gun pics with the Serial Number??
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »

(1)  One argument for blotting serials:  scammers using the pics for creating gun auction/for sale ads.   Detailed ads with serials are more believable for buyers.  The buyers can also run a check to see if the firearm was reported stolen.

(2)  Another:  someone might try to use your firearms information for insurance fraud.  Not all places register all guns.  Your firearm could be listed in a fire or theft claim for payment.  Unless there is a need, Law Enforcement may never let you know your firearm was reported lost or stolen.

(3)  someone might think they are doing a good thing getting guns confiscated by reporting your gun as stolen from them.  In Hawaii, not much chance unless the gun was never registered.

(4)  The main argument AGAINST blotting out serials was "you're paranoid!  I've never heard of anyone ever doing any of this!"


1 & 2 are pretty specious.  Manufacturers make lists of serial numbers available.  It would be pretty easy to pluck a genuine serial number out for a specific make/model gun without having to wait around for someone to post one. 

3 is just evil.  But, yes, I could see that happening.  It's the same mentality that reports private YouTube videos after being invited to see them.

4 is shortsighted.  Not that many years ago, Social Security Numbers weren't considered particularly important.  Hell, our own state used them as drivers' license numbers until recently!  Just because there's not a widespread form of abuse today doesn't mean there won't be tomorrow.

If I am posting an item for sale, though, it's a little different.  As you said, having a serial number lends legitimacy to the sale.  In particular, with vintage guns, it's hard to claim "numbers matching" without posting the pics to prove it.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.