Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope (Read 6674 times)

BLKDRGN

Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
Can I use a camcorder instead of a spotting scope? I have a Canon with 10x optical zoom. It also has image stabilization. I can also add a 5x telephoto lens to it. Not sure though if it comes out to 5x10 for 50x or 5+10 for 15x. Can someone clarify that too? Someone told me that you want to have a spotting scope because you can see the vapor trails. Can you not see that with a camcorder?
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.

djsmiles808

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
Don't think that zoom is enough. We used a 40x optical. Clear.

Heavies

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
Can I use a camcorder instead of a spotting scope? I have a Canon with 10x optical zoom. It also has image stabilization. I can also add a 5x telephoto lens to it. Not sure though if it comes out to 5x10 for 50x or 5+10 for 15x. Can someone clarify that too? Someone told me that you want to have a spotting scope because you can see the vapor trails. Can you not see that with a camcorder?

Might be able to see vapor trails in the correct lighting conditions.

BLKDRGN

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »
Don't think that zoom is enough. We used a 40x optical. Clear.

Well from what I've been reading is a 2x telephoto lens comes out to 10x x 2x = 20x optical zoom. So a 5x telephoto lens comes out to 50x optical zoom.
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.

338KID

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 03:20:57 PM »
Best of both
Fast is fine , accuracy is final

dirsh

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

338KID

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
Fast is fine , accuracy is final

dirsh

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
is that yours? what brand is that? how much was it and where can I get one? lol
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

338KID

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
is that yours? what brand is that? how much was it and where can I get one? lol
Yes it is . It's a Leuppy 20-60x80 mark 4 . With a usnightvision iPad adapter.
Fast is fine , accuracy is final

ACADEMI

  • Guest
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »
Don't make it weird jack! " hey " get a spotting scope!
Whatever floats your boat! And it's on like donkey kong!

ACADEMI

  • Guest
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »

passivekinetic

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »
I thought of that before.

One thing I am not sure about is if the high and constant decibels will screw the microphones.

So, something to think about.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

338KID

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »
I thought of that before.

One thing I am not sure about is if the high and constant decibels will screw the microphones.

So, something to think about.
Well after a few hundred of 338 lapua rounds , countless 556. Another few hundred 762 the mic still captures sounds good
Fast is fine , accuracy is final

338KID

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
is that yours? what brand is that? how much was it and where can I get one? lol
Sorry a military buddy of mines ordered it for me . Seen it on amazon for $2200 . Just got to watch out for them knock offs
Fast is fine , accuracy is final

passivekinetic

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 10:15:26 PM »
Well after a few hundred of 338 lapua rounds , countless 556. Another few hundred 762 the mic still captures sounds good

OK good to know. That eases my worry. I have an old camcorder to try out for that. (Old does not mean I don't still need it! Haha)
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

338KID

Re: Camcorder instead of Spotting Scope
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 05:40:27 AM »
OK good to know. That eases my worry. I have an old camcorder to try out for that. (Old does not mean I don't still need it! Haha)
I mainly got the adapter for my kids to look out at the nights sky . The iPad is a bit much for hunting once the wind catches it it gets really shaky. I got the adapter for my Android phone now .
Fast is fine , accuracy is final