Hawaii Hunter Education Classes (Read 29598 times)

zippz

Re: Hawaii Hunter Education Classes
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »
I finished the DLNR Hunters Education course at Nimitz. It was an interesting class learning about conservation, types of animals, methods of hunting, and hunting rules.  Class is also good if you go on hikes and like nature. They don't talk much about firearms so I wouldn't recommend taking the class to buy handguns unless you're already very experienced with them.  I highly recommend this course to anyone, to include experienced shooters, non-shooters, and children whether or not you're into hunting.

Next class is July 29/30 at Nimitz for standby status. There are classes on each island. Classes are free.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
I took the class back in December 2015.  I agree that it was pretty entertaining.  Learned a lot about conservation, how purchase of guns, ammo, etc go toward funding conservation.  The class got me really interested in bow hunting! 

They sort of gloss over firearm handling.  Not really sure how that experience qualifies as meeting the requirements stated in the regs, other than that the badge/certificate is stated as acceptable. 

They instructors are really fun and you can tell that they enjoy what they do, both with the hunters ed class as well as hunting, conservation, etc.

Eric808

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Took the Hunters Ed on June 21st-23rd.  The instructors were awesome, informative, and made the learning experience enjoyable.  They all added their own experiences that brought the educational material into real world context, which made it easier to understand and remember.  I was worried about passing the ? of knowledge, but did ok.  They said that it would take a few weeks to get your certificate, but we lucked out and I received my the following Friday and purchased my Hunting License on Saturday.

I had to register for the class two month in advance and the class fill up quickly.  But the instructors are very accommodating and took all the stand-by, every seat was filled. :thumbsup:  So if you were not able to register for the class, you should do the standby.

The class is held late in the day, starts at 6pm, sign in at 5:30, we were able to park in any of the stall on the upper deck.

zippz

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
There is a new Hybrid Hunters Education course offered. You take an online course (and pay $19.50) then take a 1 day class (4 hours) instead of the 2 or 3 day class.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/blog/2016/09/06/nr16-187/
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu