I just got a mortgage. I disagree with you. Your mortgage remains static, this is the largest chunk of your bill. Its 90% of my total payment. I don’t have mortgage insurance or anything like that. Home insurance is cheap, property taxes would increase. But not enough to matter to me.
Like you said your salary would keep up with the raising inflation. Since 90% of what you pay on your house is static, you would gain more than you lose. IDK how you get taxed that high that 80% of your check goes to taxes...might want to speak with an accountant. I pay around 30% effective tax rate. Which means on $200 raise I would net $140.
Let me know when your MORTGAGE company sends you your first escrow statement asking for more money. Your little semantics game won't matter if it's Principle and Interest vs. Taxes and Insurance. It's still your MORTGAGE PAYMENT.
I never said mortgage insurance. You are required to have property insurance. It's collected as part of your MORTGAGE PAYMENT and held in escrow until the insurance and tax payments are paid.
I never said your salary would "keep up with inflation." I said the government bases their cost of living increases on inflation. That in NO WAY guarantees you will get an increase that matches the projected inflation rate. They will use the current rate -- usually a fraction of it. You'll always be playing catch-up if your increases were based on last year's inflation rate assuming the future rate is the same or higher. Month-by-month, your paycheck gets smaller until that annual increase. Then the government gives you a small bump that would hopefully match last year's loss of earnings. But, if the rate increases THIS YEAR, you're again paying for goods and services with LAST YEAR'S COL increase. It never catches up, especially if the true inflation rate always exceeds the one your pay increase was based on.
Again, Mr. Simpleton can't do reality.
As for 90% of your mortgage remaining static, that assumes you never need to refinance for any reason -- use the equity for a large expenditure or pay off higher interest debts, and so on. The main reason people buy instead of rent is to take advantage of equity income as house prices rise. Higher interest rates affect the amount of equity you can afford to borrow against that property.
Your "locked-in rates" doesn't hold water in the really real world. Do you have a condo? What do you do if the association fees go so high you can't, or won't, afford them? Move? There goes your locked-in rate. You're now having to get a new mortgage at the inflated interest rates.
