Ar15 upgrades (Read 18636 times)

drck1000

Re: Ar15 upgrades
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »
another upgrade I did recently is a nickel boron BCG
makes cleaning easier

SNIP
The coated/treated BCG is one that I've never tried.  I've shot friends or test guns with them, but never had to clean them, so couldn't tell difference.   ;D

Will be interesting to see if or how the coating or treatment wears.  One aspect of the AR action that I tend to notice is wear points and if they change or is different than normal. 

stangzilla

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2019, 05:05:21 PM »
this was the last build I did, my 4th AR build.  several months ago
parts I used:
Ruger lower
PSA assembled upper with 18" stainless barrel, with 15" keymod handguard, chambered in .223 Wylde
ambi CH
PSA nickel/boron BCG
Magpul MOE K2 pistol grip
Kaw Valley Precision 4.3 oz buffer
Tom's Tactical enhanced nickel/Teflon trigger (essentially the same as ALG ACT trigger), now I changed it to a PSA 2 stage 4.5 lbs trigger
JP tuned and polished extra power buffer spring
LuthAR MBA3 stock
Griffin Armament muzzle brake
optic:  Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS, but I may change to a Vortex not sure yet

stangzilla

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »
installed a PSA 2 stage, 4.5 lbs trigger
its on the bottom of the pic, top is the milspec one
feels way better just dry firing it, much lighter.  1st stage is an easy take up, 2nd stage is short and much lighter than the milspec one
1st stage is 2 lbs, 2nd is 2.5 lbs
it was $70
i'll try it out soon

trigger is much better than the milspec one.  much lighter and 2 stage.
accuracy was better but I was only using Federal bulk 223 black box loose ammo so I assume I wont get great accuracy with this ammo anyways
next i'll try with some match grade ammo and see how it is
but i'm very satisfied with the trigger   :thumbsup:

Lihikai

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2019, 09:51:48 AM »
$70 is a good price.  How would you rate the PSA 2 stage against the more expensive triggers?  I've tried the PSA EPT when it first came out - it was just OK.  Not sure if it was nickel finished back then.

drck1000

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
trigger is much better than the milspec one.  much lighter and 2 stage.
accuracy was better but I was only using Federal bulk 223 black box loose ammo so I assume I wont get great accuracy with this ammo anyways
next i'll try with some match grade ammo and see how it is
but i'm very satisfied with the trigger   :thumbsup:
Nice!

Got two builds almost complete on the “base” of things. Will try to post the details later.

stangzilla

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
$70 is a good price.  How would you rate the PSA 2 stage against the more expensive triggers?  I've tried the PSA EPT when it first came out - it was just OK.  Not sure if it was nickel finished back then.

not sure how it compares to more expensive triggers, I've only shot my friends' more expensive triggers.
but from the limited use of those more expensive ones, they are a little better, lighter
but for $70 its very good

ren

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2019, 09:20:26 PM »
looks similar to the Rock River 2 stage trigger.