Help with a new .22 rifle (Read 14372 times)

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Help with a new .22 rifle
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
Hey guys,
I am looking to get myself a .22 rifle for Christmas. The two rifles I always hear about are the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin Model 60.

What does everyone think of these rifles?

Are there any others I should consider?

Does anyone know if there are any better deals than Sports Authority?
Thanks.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Tom_G

Re: Help with a new .22 rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »
I own a Marlin model 60, and have shot many Ruger 10/22s.  Personally, I prefer the Marlin.  Out of the box it is a sweet shooting gun' accurate, rugged, reliable.  It shoots every type of ammo I have ever fed it without complaint, except for WOlf.

If you are into "customizing" then the Ruger is the way to go... if you want to buy a gun and get straight to using it, I recommend the RUger.

I'll take a second and address a perceived shortcoming, namely the tubular magazine.  With the purchase of a Spee-D-Loader, you can reload more quickly than someone with a small pile of magazines.

I help out with the Aloha Council Boy Scouts.  One of their annual events is an all-day shooting camp for troops statewide, held at Camp Pupukea.  I showed up with my Marlin model 60 and loader.  The other dozen instructors on the rifle line all snickered at me as they uncased their various Ruger 10/22s.  Everyone was proud of their gun, and most of the instructors has 4-5 magazines each.

Then the shooting began.  Each scout got 25 shots.  As soon as the entire troop has done 1 set, if time permitted, they could do a second.  Troops rotated to the firing line every 20 minutes or so (there were other events going on as well).  There were literally hundreds of scouts in attendance.  From 8 AM until 4 PM, the firing line was never quiet.  WE maintained 10 firing positions at all times, with instructors rotating out for food and other needs. 

Guess how long those 4 or 5 precious magazines last?  That's right... 2 shooters.  Then you reload.  And reload.  And reload.  Instructors off the line were spending hours straight shoving rounds into 10/22 mags.  Not me, though.  Every 4th shooter, I'd start dropping rounds into my SPee-D-Loader, 13 per chamber (I gave everyone an extra shot.) 

At the end of that hellishly fun day, care to guess who the only man standing without bloody thumbs was?

But I digress.  You won't go wrong with either gun, but you'll certainly go right with the Marlin!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

tonsofguns

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:42:53 PM »
Well, well, well, look who's coming around now for the .22, Mr. Bigger-is-Better !!!!  Stocking up for that zombie invasion I see !!!  ;D  I'm with Tom_G on this one, had my trusty Marlin fer quite a while now... no problems to report, that little gun can take a beating.

I like the Ruger strictly for the aftermarket, but like was posted earlier, if you like to shoot all day, and if you don't have the hands of a concrete worker like mine.... then your guaranteed sore thumbs.

What ever you get, don't forget a decent scope!  :shaka:

Moki

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »
Both rifles are dead accurate plinkers but I have always preferred the 10/22 over the Marlin. The two factors encouraging this preference are; customization and magazine capacity.

Having a removable magazine with capacities varying from 10 to 100 really makes a difference for me, I would much rather shoot and just pop in a new mag as opposed to stopping to reload. In Hawaii magazine capacity for the 10/22 seems to be a sticky subject. Where the max capacity is suppose to be 10 considering there is a pistol version of the 10/22 but I have bought several 25rd mags from the Sports Authority in Kona.

And when it comes to customization, there is no rifle better or easier to modify. It is a hobby of mine to pick up a cheap 10/22, make it pretty, then sell it. I consider the stock 10/22 a blank canvas waiting to be painted. I almost get more joy out of the customization process then I do shooting the rifle, almost.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Do any of you know a local shop that stocks the Marlin?
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:42 PM »
Well, I was able to go to a few shops yesterday (Young Guns, Security Equipment, and Gun Source). Gun Source was the only store that carried the Marlin 60, for way more than it should have been. They also carried a 10/22 for way more than it should have been.

Young Guns had a used Ruger 10/22 but I'm wary of buying used and don't really know what to look for.

It looks like I'll have to wait until the next time they are on sale at Sports Authority.
I am not a lawyer.

Tom_G

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
It's such a shame that the local Wal-Marts don't carry guns and ammo.  The Marlin (or the Ruger) should be an off-the-shelf buy at any big box gun dealer. 

Gunbroker has sellers offering the model 60 NIB for $175.  You could always have Big Al at Ready on the RIght bring one in for you!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »
I got home from work today and saw the 2-day Sports Authority ad sitting on the counter. I looked inside and what did I see?
The Ruger 10/22 was on sale for $199 :)
I marched straight on down and half an hour later, I had a new piece in my collection.
Yay!!!

I can't wait to take it out.
I am not a lawyer.

Tom_G

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »
Congratulations!  You will soon be terrorizing litle steel chickens!

bushmasta55

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • "Drop your weapons!" "Come and take them!"
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 11:46:13 PM »
I just picked up a .22.  First one is a Savage MKII bolt action, and a Ruger 10/20 for the Mrs.  Has anyone fired the Savage bolt action? Cant wait to try it out next weekend.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 11:57:53 PM »
I haven't fired a Savage bolt action, but I have heard very VERY good things about them. Good trigger and 1 M.O.A. accuracy and such.
I am not a lawyer.

itwasntme

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
I got home from work today and saw the 2-day Sports Authority ad sitting on the counter. I looked inside and what did I see?
The Ruger 10/22 was on sale for $199 :)
I marched straight on down and half an hour later, I had a new piece in my collection.
Yay!!!

I can't wait to take it out.

Congrats on a new gun!!!  I just picked up a Saiga 12 as a Christmas bonus from my boss.... did I mention I have the coolest boss ever? :thumbsup: 

Been looking at the adds for Sports Authority too.  If I do not go over my Christmas bugdet maybe Ill get one too.  Have fun!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »
Damn, I need to find a boss like that :)
I am not a lawyer.

Antithesis

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
So have you shot the new .22 yet? 
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
No, not yet. I don't get out to the range that often, especially during the holidays. It will probably be next year before I can head out :(

But on a happy note, I think I should be getting my scope today :)
I am not a lawyer.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:15:03 PM »
Here it is with the scope mounted.

[smg type=preview id=27]
I am not a lawyer.

bushmasta55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
nice new toy.  how much was the scope?  can that scope fit on my savage MKII ?

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 11:47:57 AM »
The scope is now a few dollars cheaper than when I just bought it. Bushnell .22 Rimfire 3-9x32 Riflescope

It uses rimfire "tip-off" rings, so if your bases accept those, I'd say it should work. Otherwise, pick up some new rings and you should be good to go.

I'll give a review after I get out to the range.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:17:01 AM by 2aHawaii »
I am not a lawyer.

Tom_G

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
I just picked up a .22.  First one is a Savage MKII bolt action, and a Ruger 10/20 for the Mrs.  Has anyone fired the Savage bolt action? Cant wait to try it out next weekend.

I bought a left-hand Savage bolt .22 for my boo, who shoots southpaw.  I've used it in the rimfire competitions at the silhouette range (which is awkward for a rightie) to good effect.  You should be pleased.

bushmasta55

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 01:08:03 AM »
Brought it to the range last weekend.  The savage was pretty accurate with just the iron sites.  Aimed for center mass and the rounds were landing on the top right.  Then started aiming at the bottom left then started hitting center mass.  Was fun and i got tired after 50 rounds.  I'll be looking around for a scope.