155 Palma (#2156) or 175 smk for 1000 + yards (Read 7561 times)

Rhed

Re: 155 Palma (#2156) or 175 smk for 1000 + yards
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2022, 05:11:27 PM »
I have the JKL Precision trigger.  VERY helpful.  Eliminates or greatly reduces missed shots, or errors.  With the Impact Precision, I have to be a little careful as working the bolt in a certain way results in a trigger.  My Defiance actions, no problem.  I probably can adjust the setting for the Impact, but it hasn't bothered me. . . yet. 

Yeah, fighting your gear is n bueno.  I had a different USB battery that would shut off if there was a too long break between shots.  So I ended up missing shots or even strings here and there.  Super  :grrr:  A new USB battery pack and all was well again.  When I do my powder tests, a missed shot here and there will not be good.

Hope your next range session goes well!
Does your JKL trigger pick up the action on the bolt too? I was watching a video on https://pietrecoiltrigger.com/ and I think it said it sometimes picks up the bolt noise. But if it does, the LabRadar will jus throw a error at first. But when you take a shot, it’ll just go back to reading.

drck1000

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2022, 05:45:20 PM »
Does your JKL trigger pick up the action on the bolt too? I was watching a video on https://pietrecoiltrigger.com/ and I think it said it sometimes picks up the bolt noise. But if it does, the LabRadar will jus throw a error at first. But when you take a shot, it’ll just go back to reading.
So far, I think it only picks up when I close the action.  The Impact action has this bump at the end when closing the bolt.  I've read about it and it doesn't bother me, but many other shooters have noted it.  To the point where Impact's website mentions it and advises to "run the bolt like a man" or something to that effect.  Haha 

I think it triggered a couple of times when I opened the bolt and the bolt hit the rear of the action too abruptly.  But yea, it just throws the error.  I clear it if I see it, but I think it picks up the next shot just fine even if you don't.  I've noticed more than a few times where there's a random pick up and nothing but the muzzle velocity, which is usually much lower. 

Rhed

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2022, 02:10:45 PM »
So I decided to stick with one load to finalize. 47gr of Varget seems to be ok. Still no pressure signs. But I’ll leave it at that already.  I don’t wanna do any more ladder testing, as I only have 12lbs left. Hoping to stretch it out soon.  Here’s some of the shooting this past weekend. Not the best of shooting, but then again, I’m not a good shooter. All for the hobby and fun. Gonna do a ladder test with 175gr using XBR later when I got time.

26” 1-10 bbl
.308 Peterson srp case
155 gr smk #2156
47 gr Varget
CCI #450 srp

drck1000

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
47 gr Varget and 2900+ fps  :o

That's impressive!  Seems like good results on target as well.   :geekdanc:

"Only 12lbs left", eh.  Haha.  If you get into dire need for Varget, let me know.  I have quite a bit of 1lb containers of the same lot and an 8# jug as "back up".  I'll likely be focusing on 6.5 cm for a while, so prob spending less time on .308 win, therefore using up less powder. 

Rhed

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2022, 10:25:18 AM »
47 gr Varget and 2900+ fps  :o

That's impressive!  Seems like good results on target as well.   :geekdanc:

"Only 12lbs left", eh.  Haha.  If you get into dire need for Varget, let me know.  I have quite a bit of 1lb containers of the same lot and an 8# jug as "back up".  I'll likely be focusing on 6.5 cm for a while, so prob spending less time on .308 win, therefore using up less powder.

Nice! We can do some arrangement kine trading. Hmm.. I get Lrp or Srp’s.

drck1000

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2022, 02:19:12 PM »
Nice! We can do some arrangement kine trading. Hmm.. I get Lrp or Srp’s.
Ya, just let me know if you end up needing.

I just noticed that you mentioned testing 175 gr with 8208 XBR.  That's another combo, along with Varget, that I've had good experiences with.  Though I have a lot less of that powder.  I have plenty of others to test though. When I first started gearing up to load for .308, I was all over the place.  That said, a lot of the powders that I picked up initially for .308 can also be used for 30-06.   Eventually, I want to load up for my dad's old 1903.  I have all the components, just need to do it.  I do want to chrono to see where things need to be.  Just looking for something to be able to load up and enjoy shooting that rifle. 

Rhed

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2023, 02:09:38 PM »
I was gonna experiment with 175 smk since I have a box. But I have different plans for them now. I wanted something to buck wind a little. Wanted to experiment with some berger jugs. But no can find. I did however manage to find a box of these 169 smk. I like try em. Thoughts?