What are you making for Dinner today? (Read 4056 times)

QUIETShooter

What are you making for Dinner today?
« on: December 23, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »
I going make a simple stew.  I going use thin sliced short-ribs.  Man, short-ribs along with all cuts of meat, fish, and poultry is getting super expensive!

A pkg. of thin sliced short-ribs of 5 slices cost me $17.00 and some change. :o
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

oldfart

Re: What are you making for Dinner today?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 02:45:59 PM »
Kalua pig and cabbage with poi or rice.
Mostly leftovers from a big party.
For sure,  food is expensive nowadays.
I figure cooking is critical to my economic survival and since I can control the ingredients, it's healthier too.

That being said, I always indulge in chocolate covered cherries at Christmas time because I have fond memories of those things from my small kid time by the Christmas tree.
Other bad stuff is cookies from relatives and friends... Lots of cookies.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 03:14:54 PM »
Kalua pig and cabbage with poi or rice.
Mostly leftovers from a big party.
For sure,  food is expensive nowadays.
I figure cooking is critical to my economic survival and since I can control the ingredients, it's healthier too.

That being said, I always indulge in chocolate covered cherries at Christmas time because I have fond memories of those things from my small kid time by the Christmas tree.

Kalua pig and cabbage has a mystic control over me.  I can eat tons of it. :rofl:  The interesting thing about this dish is that the kalua pig goes a long way.  It makes the cabbage so delicious I even have to add more to the pot because I'm eating more cabbage.  Even by itself the kalua pork makes me eat lots and lots of rice.  With shoyu. ;D

I also rather cook when possible.  I can control the salt and sugar content.  However, I do get a bit insecure when cooking for others because I know my food leans more bland.

And yeah, this time of year causes havoc on my blood sugar levels.  I caved and the 2 boxes of chocolate covered mac nuts in the freezer is now down to one.  And my wife had her hair done at the hair dresser and the Korean lady gave her a whole bag of Ghiradelli Assorted Chocolate snack size bars. :o

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 04:29:03 PM »
Cabbage is good to stretch your food dollar.
It's also healthy for you. My mom was a strong Mormon. I learned frugality and preparedness from the Mormon-Hawaiian influence. Mom always used cabbage to add vegetables to our diet.
I got a great story about cabbage and this lady who is a Hawaiian music legend.
short story to follow
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 04:38:36 PM by oldfart »
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 05:08:58 PM »
Diverting off to cabbage and Hawaiian music for a little while.
Around 50 years ago, I went to school in downtown on Bishop St.
I lived with my auntie in Papakolea up by Punchbowl.
Directly across the street was where Auntie Genoa Keawe lived.
Genoa, my aunt and Uncle were strong Mormons.

When my uncle passed away, Genoa and the church ladies came and brought tuna sandwiches for the funeral.
When I went to grab a sandwich, Genoa told me, "You know why these good? I add shredded cabbage to the tuna!"
"When you get plenty kids you gotta make'em stretch"

From that day on, I always add cabbage or perhaps cole slaw to my tuna sandwich.
It just tastes better and make da can tuna stretch.
 :stopjack:
What, Me Worry?

Rocky

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 06:55:56 AM »
Blasphemer !  :grrr:

Merry Christmas   :wave:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2023, 07:33:31 AM »
Blasphemer !  :grrr:

Merry Christmas   :wave:
==============
Happy Christmas to you too bro Rocky. :shaka:

Last night I went last minute shopping and bought lots of sweets to give away also.
Who am I to disrupt Christmas traditions?

For dinner I have Turkey Jook garnished with Lup Cheong, and greens from my yard.
I accidentally grew watercress so I can top my dish with that. It's great on these cold nights.

I also bought ingredients to make a batch of coquito for a family thing tomorrow.
I never made it before so if it comes out good, I'll make it again for a retirement party this Thursday.
One of my old coworkers is leaving after 22 years.

Then I'll make it again next week for a family NY gathering.

What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 08:03:09 AM »
Couple days ago I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Prepared meal from Costco. Was really good. Was $15 and makes 4 meals. Pretty good for $15
Also got stuffed bell peppers. Stuffed with a huge meatball. I'll probably cook that Christmas night. But we celebrate more with a lunch. My dad will cook a spiral sliced ham. I'm going to make some deviled eggs. I love deviled eggs. I make them with dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar for a little extra tanginess
Costco had NY steak for $9.99/lb
Sometimes they have short ribs for about same price

QUIETShooter

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 08:25:30 AM »
I thought my last night short-rib stew came out junk.  My wife said it was good but she always says that so I keep cooking dinner, lol!  But to be fair to her she always cleans up.

I like to experiment.  So I added blanched peanuts like how they put in ox-tail soup.  Then I started to get crazy and added edamame beans, corn, and daikon in addition to the traditional celery, carrots, onion, and potato.

Lol!  Couldn't tell the difference between the potatoes and the daikon radish just by looking at it.  You find out when you eat it.  Plays with your mind as you think you eating potato and then....surprise! :rofl:

My wife gave me that funny look she gives when I do something retarded.

But she said it's ok so all is good.  It's only me and her now in the house so we eat a lot of leftovers so tonight is leftover short-rib stew.

Tomorrow is Christmas.  We going my daughter's house for family gathering for pot luck dinner so I making sweet sour spare-ribs and prime weeb. :thumbsup:

astroboy

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 01:43:26 PM »
Short rib stew is one of my favorite meals.

Speaking of cheap eats made with cabbage, do you guys also remember Portuguese sausage and cabbage?
It is another single pot /pan dish that is easy and economical to make.

aletheuo137

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 02:17:28 PM »

New Jersey cheesecake!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 06:45:29 PM by aletheuo137 »

QUIETShooter

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2023, 04:36:28 PM »
Short rib stew is one of my favorite meals.

Speaking of cheap eats made with cabbage, do you guys also remember Portuguese sausage and cabbage?
It is another single pot /pan dish that is easy and economical to make.

Yes.  I grew up in a big family with humble income so that was a staple for us.  Either that or spam with cabbage.

My mom had the unenviable task of trying to feed 5 of us siblings.  Rice was dirt cheap back then and she always made sure there was plenty of rice in the pantry.  More often than not we couldn't get 2nd helpings of meat, chicken, or fish but my mom always told us that there is plenty of rice so we learned to stretch our main meat and eat a lot of rice to fill our tummies.

And that's why I love white rice to this day and have type 2 diabetes, lol!! :rofl:

stangzilla

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 05:45:24 PM »
We weren't rich either. A couple of dishes that I still like are hillshire farms sausage stir fried with sliced potatoes and onions. Or ground beef with onions and potatoes stir fried. Just add ketchup and/or hot sauce

macsak

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 05:45:58 PM »
new york steak

dogman

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2023, 06:00:30 PM »
You own steaks? :o

macsak

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2023, 06:45:52 PM »

aletheuo137

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2023, 09:07:35 PM »
You own steaks? :o
He owns New York

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

stangzilla

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2023, 07:35:37 AM »

oldfart

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2023, 07:55:51 AM »
Yes.  I grew up in a big family with humble income so that was a staple for us.  Either that or spam with cabbage.

My mom had the unenviable task of trying to feed 5 of us siblings.  Rice was dirt cheap back then and she always made sure there was plenty of rice in the pantry.  More often than not we couldn't get 2nd helpings of meat, chicken, or fish but my mom always told us that there is plenty of rice so we learned to stretch our main meat and eat a lot of rice to fill our tummies.

And that's why I love white rice to this day and have type 2 diabetes, lol!! :rofl:
=============
I grew during the plantation years, in a plantation style house built in 1942.
There were 5 of us kids too.
We also used rice to stretch the meals. That's why I make jook because we don't waste leftover rice or turkey bones.
One of my favorite old foods is canned corn beef with cabbage...with rice, of course.

And I suppose that's why I have to take an ozempic shot today. :rofl: (not joking :rofl:)
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2023, 07:29:19 PM »
Had a terrible craving for roast pork, so I hit Dicks Lechon truck at Waikele.
What, Me Worry?