Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences (Read 33124 times)

drck1000

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »
I will agree that slaving the red dot to your irons and leaving as is is wrong for a "zero." I would compare it to bore sighting a rifle. Gets you on paper so adjustments can be made easily.
I can see using the “bisecting the dot” method to get close prior to initial zero.  I did come across many who shoot that way as well.

RSN172

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
If you leave a red dot sight turned on, how long would the battery last?   Several months or several days?

drck1000

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »
If you leave a red dot sight turned on, how long would the battery last?   Several months or several days?
The Trij RMR Type 2 is rated for 4 years of continuous on at 4 setting (out of 8). But I’ve read that most batteries much less if left in 8. Seems like most common recommendation is to change the battery once a year. The Type 2 has an “auto” function that dims the dot to save battery, but I haven’t tested out that feature yet.

RSN172

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 07:32:29 PM »
I have a Burris Fast Fire on AR15 and I always turned it off because I shoot it only once or twice a year.  It uses a CR1632 battery which I just changed today.  I pulled out the AR and the 4 year old battery was dead, even though I always turned off the sight.  In the 4 years I don't think I have even 4 hours on that battery.  I almost exclusively shoot handguns.

jase90

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2019, 08:43:30 PM »
I have a Burris Fast Fire on AR15 and I always turned it off because I shoot it only once or twice a year.  It uses a CR1632 battery which I just changed today.  I pulled out the AR and the 4 year old battery was dead, even though I always turned off the sight.  In the 4 years I don't think I have even 4 hours on that battery.  I almost exclusively shoot handguns.

I change my RMR batteries every year. Just to be safe. What I've been doing is once I have my red dot zeroed. I use my bore laser and record where my red dot should be when the laser is pointed at the X-Ring of a sticky target about 10ft away on a wall. I do it at home with my pistol in a vice. It's been spot on every time. Just gotta make sure when you measure on the target you're using the smallest increments you can. I use my 6" calipers.

EDIT: I still confirm zero at the range cause I'm OCD. But if I can't make it right after I change batteries. It's much better than slaving the dot to zeroed iron sights.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:50:08 PM by jase90 »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:23:25 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2019, 10:10:05 PM »
Tried my friends MRD and it was fun. Huge diff. 5 yards rapid fire. With red dot, grouping was duck egg. With iron sights, grouping is jabone.

Target acqusition was a huge improvement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jase90

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2019, 08:12:04 AM »
Tried my friends MRD and it was fun. Huge diff. 5 yards rapid fire. With red dot, grouping was duck egg. With iron sights, grouping is jabone.

Target acqusition was a huge improvement.

Hard to go back when you can start shooting the 100 meter human size rectangular targets on the silouhette side with "boring regularity." I was even able to hit that stupid chicken twice in one magazine with the other shots not being too far off if I do my part.

Oh and those tiny 22lr targets at 50 meters. I try to beat everyone to them right after a reset lol. I need to play nicer for the kids.

drck1000

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2019, 12:56:06 PM »
Had a short training session with handguns this past weekend, so used that time to put work in with the 17 with RMR.

Context of the training session was fundamentals for a wider range of shooters.  So started off with some one-hole drill type stuff starting at 5 yards and then moved back.  First time doing that with the 17/RMR wasn't that impressive, but was able to shoot out pretty much all of the 1" square after 10 shots at 5 yards.  The "dot dance" was still noticeable, but not as bad previous sessions.  Or maybe I either didn't notice or didn't bother me. 

Next drill that I noticed much improvement was when we moved to the cadence drills.  6 in 6 seconds, then 6 in 3 seconds, then 6 in two seconds.  Tracking and picking up the dot in successive shots was something that frustrated me previous sessions, but I think the cadence drills really helped me as when we got to the 6/2 string, I was able to keep all shots in the 6" circle and pace was almost spot on (1.97s).  I would have liked to have spent a little more time to see what I could get the time down to before throwing shots out, but there were a couple of newer shooters that we were helping.  When I was shooting a lot, I could get down to about 1.6-1-7 with standard/iron sights, so I would like to see if I can get close or match with the RMR. 

There was another shooter who was shooting his 22 with RMR for the first time.  He's a really good shooter with standard sights, so it was interesting hearing his initial feedback along the way, which was pretty close to mine first time I shot the 17/RMR in a session "beyond" the 25 yard bullseye range.  There definitely is a learning curve and it can be helped along by getting feedback from those who have gone down that path before.  While I consider myself still on the beginning section of that path, it was really helpful to see those both ahead of the game than I am as well as those who are just starting down that path. 

Overall, I am happy with the 17/RMR enough that I am considering setting up a 19 with an RMR as well. 

drck1000

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2019, 06:28:43 PM »
Here’s a good video from Sage Dynamic on RDS and improving performance with iron sights.

I haven’t had a chance to shoot my handgun with RDS in a while, but I did notice a lot of what he describes. I also found that dry fire with RDS showed more than I would notice dry firing with irons.

drck1000

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
Had an open shoot session followed by a short training session with a new Glock 19 based setup with RMR this past weekend. I also spent a while on the pistol range end of last week testing the new gun as well as zeroing the RMR and checking the suppressor sights.  This is my second handgun with a red dot, so I've invested quite a bit.

Starting to see a LOT more folks on the range with red dots on handguns.  Both experienced shooters as well as newer shooters.  Even spoke with a seasoned instructor that helps a LOT of folks new to guns in general and he mentioned many of this students ask about handguns with red dots.  My original thoughts remain generally the same that there is a definite learning curve and seems like maybe 50/50 as to whether or not folks stick with it or write it off as "not for them".  I'm in the former.

For the training session, two other shooting buddies were shooting handguns with red dots.  One has had his for a while and the other was his first session with one.  Same trend as noted above as one seemed to love it and the other is strongly debating whether or not to stick with it.  Both see the benefits, but it varies how quickly folks pick it up as well as having an open mind to try and make the adjustments needed.  One also mentioned he tried the "slave the dot to the front sight" method and it works for me. 

For me, this second setup is slightly different in that it's on more of a "Gucci Glock" as well as taller iron sights than my 17 based setup.  I like the lower height of the iron sights on my 17 setup, but will give this one a go for now.  I didn't notice the taller sights during the shooting drills. 

For the shooting drills, I definitely need to work on the draw.  Both speed, making sure I don't give up a quality grip when I push it, and most importantly, picking up the dot quicker and consistently.  Had a conversation about differences in past experience picking up front sight on handguns and transition to red dots.  I had also been shooting my CZ a lot lately and doing a lot of dry fire and draws, so I think the difference in grip angles between the two led to some adjustment. 

Picking up the dot in between shots was better during this training session.  As the sun was lower in the sky later in the day, two shooters with RDS handguns noticed that the glare caused some difficulty picking up the dot.  I didn't really notice.

Overall, going to be dedicating a lot more time to this setup.  The hope is that this will become my CCW setup.  Got about 500 rounds of mixed range fodder (mostly 115 and 124 gr bulk FMJ ammo) and some Gold Dots. 

Inspector

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »
I’m still on the fence if I want to have a red dot on my CCW and/or SD gun.

I don’t have a good repeatable index so it takes a lot for me to get back on sight after recoil. And for me, I tend to pick up the front sight quicker than I do a red dot after recoil because of my lack of a good repeatable index. This is probably due to a lack of proper training. Which I intend to to get after I move. I have trained all my life for target shooting near and far targets. I have more recently trained for shooting DA pistol since SA is more for target shooting. But still, I watch videos of guys who have a good strong repeatable index and they can get back on target so quickly my head spins just watching them. As bad as my eyes are a red dot makes more sense. But like I said I find myself picking up the front sight a little quicker than a red dot. It seems like it takes less effort for me get back on target with standard irons. For accuracy or distance shots a red dot can’t be beat. But whatever sight system you choose it needs to be flexible enough for most or all situations.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

robtmc

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2019, 07:44:22 PM »
Wonder what it would be like if we had chameleon vision.  :P
Dunno, maybe see if this guy ever shot much pistol?

rpoL98

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
i'm having a little problem with reacquiring the red dot after each shot, darn muzzle flip.  MRO works a little better, but weighs more.

Inspector

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2019, 08:25:54 PM »
i'm having a little problem with reacquiring the red dot after each shot, darn muzzle flip.  MRO works a little better, but weighs more.

I’ve shot that gun in 44 Mag and 50. Never with a red dot, tho. If I had shot one with a red dot, I might have been able to hit something with it!  :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

changemyoil66

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »
Im a fan of red dots. The pick up was way faster. At 7 yards, rapid fire grouping without was about basketball. With RD, it was jabone.

Im just to pake to buy a RD, mill slide, new holster, new irons.

Are red dots on pistols becoming the same as red dots on rifles? No one really uses irons on rifles anymore.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2019, 08:44:51 PM »
Im a fan of red dots. The pick up was way faster. At 7 yards, rapid fire grouping without was about basketball. With RD, it was jabone.

Im just to pake to buy a RD, mill slide, new holster, new irons.

Are red dots on pistols becoming the same as red dots on rifles? No one really uses irons on rifles anymore.

I've seen many CCW with red dots.  Any advantage in a gun fight is a bonus. 

Maybe we'll all be safer once police departments start issuing them.   They can really stand to improve that ~30% hit ratio. :shake:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2019, 08:52:43 PM »
I’m still on the fence if I want to have a red dot on my CCW and/or SD gun.

I don’t have a good repeatable index so it takes a lot for me to get back on sight after recoil. And for me, I tend to pick up the front sight quicker than I do a red dot after recoil because of my lack of a good repeatable index. This is probably due to a lack of proper training. Which I intend to to get after I move. I have trained all my life for target shooting near and far targets. I have more recently trained for shooting DA pistol since SA is more for target shooting. But still, I watch videos of guys who have a good strong repeatable index and they can get back on target so quickly my head spins just watching them. As bad as my eyes are a red dot makes more sense. But like I said I find myself picking up the front sight a little quicker than a red dot. It seems like it takes less effort for me get back on target with standard irons. For accuracy or distance shots a red dot can’t be beat. But whatever sight system you choose it needs to be flexible enough for most or all situations.
Didn't you try mine at the silhouette range a while back? 

I shoot my 17 and 34 pretty flat already.  I'll show you a video of some of my matches when we finally meet up for that happy hour beer.  When I first started with the red dot, I was concerned about how quickly I'd pick up the dot in the draw and between shots.  When I was shooting with the red dot more, I was getting to the point where there were similar times. I think I'm slower now since I've been shooting mostly irons lately.  I found the cadence drills really helped.  I was chatting with a shooting instructor when he was in the starting part of his learning curve with handgun/RDS combo and he had just gotten to the point where his shot times were equalizing.  His tips on the draw really helped me.  I just gotta get back to practicing consistently. 

The bad or aging eyes aspect was one that we were discussing this weekend.  Two of the shooters are about the same age as I am.  When I was at the pistol range, a father and son pair was shooting next to me and the father was going on about how he was having trouble focusing on the front sight with his bifocals.  I had him try my handgun with red dot and that really helped him.  So there are some "life practical" applications for sure. 

Forgot to add that the "dot dance" that people tend to notice when they first start out is something one of my shooting friends just can't seem to get over.  He can blow out a pastey at 5-7 yard pretty consistently in less than 5 shots with standard sights, but the dot dance messes him up pretty bad trying the same with red dot.  I definitely noticed the dot dance, but something that I have mostly gotten over. 

drck1000

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »
Dunno, maybe see if this guy ever shot much pistol?
SNIP
Improved peripheral vision!

:rofl:

SNIP
How long did "your" red dot last on that setup?   ;D

drck1000

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »
I’ve shot that gun in 44 Mag and 50. Never with a red dot, tho. If I had shot one with a red dot, I might have been able to hit something with it!  :rofl:
I've shot both as well.  First time was in one of those gun clubs in Waikiki.  I think my molars are still loose from that experience.   ;D