What to do if you witness a crime .... (Read 931 times)

Jl808

What to do if you witness a crime ....
« on: February 24, 2024, 02:32:46 PM »
I recalled a really good advice from somewhere that I thought made a lot of sense.

If you find yourself in the scene to a crime, it is up to you if you want to get involved or not, especially if you are a CCW.

Barring extreme circumstances such as bodily harm or death to the victim, the best advice I saw from an ex-cop was: "get yourself to a safe place, call it in and be the best witness possible."

I can't think of any downsides to this one, especially if the situation doesn't involve you.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: What to do if you witness a crime ....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 04:17:30 PM »
According to one forum intellectual, just pointing a gun at someone is not "use of deadly force."

So, if you see someone pointing a gun at a 7-11 employee yelling for him to hand over all the cash, would that classify in your circumstances as "bodily harm or death to the victim"?

Seems there are a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks who prefer to wait until the trigger is pulled before judging someone's intentions.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 05:49:24 AM »

So, if you see someone pointing a gun at a 7-11 employee yelling for him to hand over all the cash, would that classify in your circumstances as "bodily harm or death to the victim"?

I would ask him, as politely as possible, “Excuse me sir, can I pay for my stuff and get out?”

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 10:16:21 AM »
I would ask him, as politely as possible, “Excuse me sir, can I pay for my stuff and get out?”
Dont forget to show the aloha spirit by throwing shaka. Then the robber will drop his gun.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 12:05:40 PM »
Dont forget to show the aloha spirit by throwing shaka. Then the robber will drop his gun.

Thus entails the awesome power of the Aloha Spirit. {sarc.} ::)
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 12:15:53 PM »
Thus entails the awesome power of the Aloha Spirit. {sarc.} ::)
If 1 shaka no work, then dual shaka. Extra aloha spirit.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 01:47:18 PM »
If 1 shaka no work, then dual shaka. Extra aloha spirit.

A double-barrel shaka-gun.
-- Melvin Udall

Jl808

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 02:22:59 PM »
I’ve been in a similar 7-11 situation mentioned earlier.  No gun involved but property crime. 

If someone pulls a gun on you and points it at you, then thats a different story.

In this particular case, female shoplifter leaves without paying.   Possible male accomplice in the store standing in line observing. 

I was in the store with my family so I asked the clerk, what are you gonna do about it?  She said that person has been there before and did the same thing. 

I asked if she was going to report it to the police. She called a co-worker to see if she could find the shoplifter.  I said you probably have camera footage to report it to the police and pull footage. Cops need footage to find out to who go after. 

I got my family out of there and didn’t stay long enough to find out what happened after.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 02:32:06 PM by Jl808 »

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 03:51:38 PM »
I’ve been in a similar 7-11 situation mentioned earlier.  No gun involved but property crime. 

If someone pulls a gun on you and points it at you, then thats a different story.

In this particular case, female shoplifter leaves without paying.   Possible male accomplice in the store standing in line observing. 

I was in the store with my family so I asked the clerk, what are you gonna do about it?  She said that person has been there before and did the same thing. 

I asked if she was going to report it to the police. She called a co-worker to see if she could find the shoplifter.  I said you probably have camera footage to report it to the police and pull footage. Cops need footage to find out to who go after. 

I got my family out of there and didn’t stay long enough to find out what happened after.
===========
Nowadays nobody wants to be a hero anymore.
I used to be superman with a cape.
Or maybe a soldier with a gun.

Us kids used to play in the yard with sharp sticks.
We actually played outside in the sun on the grass.
Nobody sitting around texting or posting on Fakebook.

Video from August 1959
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 06:16:34 PM »
We have become a "look the other way" society.  Cannot help.  Things are that dangerous nowadays.  No such thing as up and up. 

People kill nowadays if you just look at them.  Back in the day the worst thing that could happen when you look at somebody is if you happened to look at a mahoo.  He will smile and start walking towards you.....

But yeah.  Protect your loved ones and yourself and be the best witness you possibly can.  No sense trying to be the man in the red cape.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 06:22:20 PM »
We have become a "look the other way" society.  Cannot help.  Things are that dangerous nowadays.  No such thing as up and up. 

People kill nowadays if you just look at them.  Back in the day the worst thing that could happen when you look at somebody is if you happened to look at a mahoo.  He will smile and start walking towards you.....

But yeah.  Protect your loved ones and yourself and be the best witness you possibly can.  No sense trying to be the man in the red cape.

Dirty Harry wore a cape?  Hmm....
-- Melvin Udall

Jl808

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 07:14:31 PM »
I don’t think we should look the other way.  But direct action may not always be the best choice.

Being the best witness = getting as much info possible to identify and get the bad guys put behind bars. 

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 10:11:31 PM »
I recalled a really good advice from somewhere that I thought made a lot of sense.

If you find yourself in the scene to a crime, it is up to you if you want to get involved or not, especially if you are a CCW.

Barring extreme circumstances such as bodily harm or death to the victim, the best advice I saw from an ex-cop was: "get yourself to a safe place, call it in and be the best witness possible."

I can't think of any downsides to this one, especially if the situation doesn't involve you.

That advice is the safest course of action for you. It reduces the risk of harm to you and reduces chances you could get sued.

But at the same time it does feel kind of morally weak. There are many times where criminals are caught because private citizens do more than just watch and report.

In the end it is a gamble.

Jl808

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 03:36:16 AM »
Does anyone know what happened to the Maui CCW that recently held a carjacker at gunpoint?

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=52719
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 03:43:17 AM by Jl808 »

Begle1

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 09:37:15 AM »
Does anyone know what happened to the Maui CCW that recently held a carjacker at gunpoint?

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=52719

I've been wondering about this one too.

In general, my rule is to run away, never fire into somebody else's charlie foxtrot, and never get myself involved.

But in the case where you would need to get involved to keep somebody else from getting killed... I have no illusion that I'm risking my own life as well.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 11:45:12 AM »
I've been wondering about this one too.

In general, my rule is to run away, never fire into somebody else's charlie foxtrot, and never get myself involved.

But in the case where you would need to get involved to keep somebody else from getting killed... I have no illusion that I'm risking my own life as well.

The bad part is that due to our weak judicial system and politics, you will be sued and possibly jailed.  And the victim isn't likely to help pay for all this either.  This is what happens when laws protect criminals.