Kung Fu classes on Oahu? (Read 2822 times)

Rocky

Re: Kung Fu classes on Oahu?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2024, 05:29:18 PM »
have you ever seen me and master smith in the same place at the same time?
You've never seen me and Batman in the same place at the same time.
I'm BATMAN !
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2024, 05:54:23 PM »
Ive never seen Ru Paul and Mac in the same place either. Just sayin...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

macsak

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2024, 06:31:35 PM »
but you have seen me and karl rhoads in the same place at the same time...

Ive never seen Ru Paul and Mac in the same place either. Just sayin...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2024, 08:36:16 AM »
but you have seen me and karl rhoads in the same place at the same time...

"There's a toll in the hallway"

stangzilla

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2024, 09:33:55 AM »
I think some Kung Fu techniques can be applied to defensive fighting
I think whatever training you have, it needs to be translated into a street fighting technique to be effective in self defense. how to stop an enemy quickly.  on the street is not like UFC in the octagon.  might have multiple attackers. carry pepper spray/mace. situational awareness, avoidance, de-escalation, etc.

I don't know much about Krav Maga but looks to be effective form of self defense

Muay Thai has devastating kicks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:39:48 AM by stangzilla »

changemyoil66

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2024, 11:27:26 AM »
I think some Kung Fu techniques can be applied to defensive fighting
I think whatever training you have, it needs to be translated into a street fighting technique to be effective in self defense. how to stop an enemy quickly.  on the street is not like UFC in the octagon.  might have multiple attackers. carry pepper spray/mace. situational awareness, avoidance, de-escalation, etc.

I don't know much about Krav Maga but looks to be effective form of self defense

Muay Thai has devastating kicks

Add in biting and eye gouging. Like if someone is in a rear naked choke, reaching back and finding their eye before you pass out is the only defense.  Which you cannot do in a ring. There are no rules in a street fight.

And your vids do show why Kung Fu shouldn't be the first option. Never seen a monk do ground work.

There's vids that piss off the Kung Fu people in China of a MMA guy working "experts". TBH, most of the Kung Fu masters he faught don't look like experts IMO. This isn't cause they got worked, it's how they carry themselves prior to contact being made.  The old school vid of the haole kung fu guy knocking out the cholo seems more of an expert in kung fu than these guys.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 01:19:40 PM »
Fight to survive.

Work on stamina and strength.

Do not end up looking like those guys in the Kekoa Virginia Militia.

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=52385.0

:wave:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Q

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2024, 05:35:51 PM »
Add in biting and eye gouging. Like if someone is in a rear naked choke, reaching back and finding their eye before you pass out is the only defense.  Which you cannot do in a ring. There are no rules in a street fight.

And your vids do show why Kung Fu shouldn't be the first option. Never seen a monk do ground work.

There's vids that piss off the Kung Fu people in China of a MMA guy working "experts". TBH, most of the Kung Fu masters he faught don't look like experts IMO. This isn't cause they got worked, it's how they carry themselves prior to contact being made.  The old school vid of the haole kung fu guy knocking out the cholo seems more of an expert in kung fu than these guys.

Most people (myself included) recommend Muay Thai because it's the most commonly available martial system that works effectively on the street, along with boxing (if you can find a good coach).The problem these days is all the popular systems have been watered down to art forms or sports, which means all the really street effective stuff has been removed to reduce injuries, Muay Thai included.

It you're deadset on a kung fu style, then Xingyiquan and Hung Gar are the two I like, but I'm not sure if the teachers in Hawai'i are legit though. Most practitioners I knew were more on the cultural art side; at least for Hung Gar.

If you are willing to deviate away from specifically Chinese systems, Uechi- Ryū karate is often referred to as the best karate style for self defense as it's one of the last systems to maintain both the original Okinawan self-defense applications and some of the core kung fu components that all Okinawan systems originated from (I think Uechi-Ryū evolved from a style referred to as Pan gai noon, which was an offshoot of Huzunquan, aka Fuzhou/Fujian Tiger Style). They have schools in Hawai'i but not sure if they are legit.

Forgot to mention Filipino styles. If you can find a good school/teacher, you'll be learning striking and weapon skills that are interchangeable based on the foundational movement patterns. I know we have FMA teachers in Hawai'i and can be easily found. Friends I had in 1st group (them, not me) used to train in FMA quite heavily. Good enough for SF, good enough for you.

Kempo guys were always tough. Based on the stories of old timers, they were the only guys who could go up against Master Kham 's toughest guys. Can easily find good kempo schools here.

Although often ridiculed, Kajukembo is also very legit. Also created in Hawai'i specifically to test what works on the street. Need to check on the schools/teachers though. Some of the teachers I knew went the cookie cutter karate mcdojo "family environment" route and watered it down.

RSN172

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2024, 05:45:54 PM »
One machete with one week of training is equal to at least 20 years of any unarmed martial art.

Just being sarcastic.  Carry on. 

RSN172

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2024, 08:54:33 PM »
I watched a video of this young woman who said she can get out of a RNC in less than two seconds.  So this big guy, about a foot taller than her applies a RNC on her and in 1 sec he screams in pain, releases his hold and rubbing his arm.  Her secret?  A butane lighter.  LOL.

changemyoil66

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2024, 07:34:59 AM »
One machete with one week of training is equal to at least 20 years of any unarmed martial art.

Just being sarcastic.  Carry on.

Not even a week of training.

The moral of your story is that street fights aren't fair AKA no rules like how MMA matches, boxing, BJJ, etc...have.  So training is good as a last resort, but keep tools on you so you don't have to touch the person.  And avoidance is numero uno.  Let ego go and walk away.  And look for threat indicators (don't be looking down on the phone all the time).

drck1000

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2024, 07:49:17 AM »
Similar to shooting, especially if self defence is a key consideration, get training!  Be consistent.

Hear many folks debating which is best, including martial arts and shooting.  Most never will get out and get training.  For martial arts, any training is better than none.  Would Jack of All Trades beat the Master of One?  Maybe. . . depends on if it's a true master.

I've taken many over the years.  A while back, I was taking one class with an instructor who had a lot of technical and practical skills and good at instruction.  A bunch of my friends got into it and got really involved with the school.  However, it was apparent that this person's ego was tremendous, often needing to beat their own drum of how good they are.  That drove people away.  Since the class that my group of friends got into was separate from the main discipline, we didn't notice much at first, but it eventually bled over.  We all eventually left, and with some regulars that were there prior, started training together on our own.  That was some of the best training I've ever had.

Most recently, I got into BJJ.  One of my best friend's kids got into it first, then eventually he and his wife too.  The professor is a real deal, multi-time high level champ.  His skill is apparent, even 2-3 years removed from competition. Yet he is very humble, using his personality and welcoming and family environment to bring folks in, which is why I stuck with them. 

Is BJJ the best for SD?  I think need some level of striking is needed.  I know a few folks that train at the muay thai place mentioned.  I thought most of them were pretty darn cool. 

QUIETShooter

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2024, 08:04:33 AM »
Some form of self defense training is essential, I think.

I also study the art of non-confrontation.  Under the radar techniques.  Also mindset training.  One must know when to switch from kumbaya to all-out kill mode.

That's the hardest skill to master but essential for survival.  Hesitation can be your demise.

macsak

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2024, 08:18:29 AM »
i've met "a friend" of yours
brings into doubt your ability to pick friends...

Similar to shooting, especially if self defence is a key consideration, get training!  Be consistent.

Hear many folks debating which is best, including martial arts and shooting.  Most never will get out and get training.  For martial arts, any training is better than none.  Would Jack of All Trades beat the Master of One?  Maybe. . . depends on if it's a true master.

I've taken many over the years.  A while back, I was taking one class with an instructor who had a lot of technical and practical skills and good at instruction.  A bunch of my friends got into it and got really involved with the school.  However, it was apparent that this person's ego was tremendous, often needing to beat their own drum of how good they are.  That drove people away.  Since the class that my group of friends got into was separate from the main discipline, we didn't notice much at first, but it eventually bled over.  We all eventually left, and with some regulars that were there prior, started training together on our own.  That was some of the best training I've ever had.

Most recently, I got into BJJ.  One of my best friend's kids got into it first, then eventually he and his wife too.  The professor is a real deal, multi-time high level champ.  His skill is apparent, even 2-3 years removed from competition. Yet he is very humble, using his personality and welcoming and family environment to bring folks in, which is why I stuck with them. 

Is BJJ the best for SD?  I think need some level of striking is needed.  I know a few folks that train at the muay thai place mentioned.  I thought most of them were pretty darn cool.

drck1000

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2024, 08:23:33 AM »
i've met "a friend" of yours
brings into doubt your ability to pick friends...
all my friends own guns, and train. . .

macsak

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2024, 08:31:45 AM »
heads

QUIETShooter

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2024, 08:44:36 AM »

Those are the best type of friends to have. :thumbsup:

changemyoil66

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2024, 08:50:09 AM »
Also important than just learning any technique, is going against an opponent to somewhat get a feel of what it's like to go against a bad guy.  Kung Fu doesn't really do this compared to BJJ.  Muay Thai and boxing has sparing, but you're not going full speed and mostly it's hitting pads someone is holding.  And to get into a ring won't happen for most people.

I bring this up because I have a friend who was being trained by an Olympic boxer.  He had very good technique against a bag. But then they went to spar and she only went 1/4 speed on him and when he got that first hit by her, he was scared shitless and gave up boxing. 

Like battle, the plan can change once the bullets start to fly.

stangzilla

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2024, 08:59:58 AM »
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth

changemyoil66

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2024, 09:23:42 AM »
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth

It's not the size of the dog, but the fight in the dog.

I know guys who are super tiny and not afraid to get knocked out. Crazy fakkas.