Pistol Caliber Carbines - Discuss (Read 11260 times)

drck1000

Re: Pistol Caliber Carbines - Discuss
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2020, 08:15:07 AM »
If mag prices are an issue, you can get AR9 ASC colt mags for <$20.  MPX mags are around $60.
It’s a consideration for sure, but priority is the gun itself. I also heard from friends who have AR9 that there appears to be noticeable differences in mags performance/reliability.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2020, 09:50:39 AM »
It’s a consideration for sure, but priority is the gun itself. I also heard from friends who have AR9 that there appears to be noticeable differences in mags performance/reliability.

I had the same issues as your friends.  My ASC mags wouldn’t lock in my pcc due to the mag catch hole being cut too high up on the mag for it to lock.  Luckily I was able to return them.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2020, 10:15:55 AM »
I had the same issues as your friends.  My ASC mags wouldn’t lock in my pcc due to the mag catch hole being cut too high up on the mag for it to lock.  Luckily I was able to return them.
Yup. Have seen issues with the ASC mags as well with a least 2 different lowers (brand, builder, etc).

That said, seems like AR9 has a number of “finicky” issues. Trigger packages, ejectors, action spring are a few off the top of my head. Initially I was thinking possibly “builder” issues, but since I’ve seen them across different contexts, seems maybe “just how it is” and have to tweak things. That is one aspect that has me leaning toward Sig.  Hoping because it’s a single and consistent platform design. Hope because I’ve also seen Sigs have some issues in recent matches, but I was suspecting ammo issues there.

Coconut-kid

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2020, 11:51:53 PM »
DRCK1000

Hey I see your squaded with Channy and I this weekend.  If you want you can shoot PCC with me and run my MPX.   :rofl: :geekdanc:

blastoff747

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2020, 12:45:42 AM »
Yup. Have seen issues with the ASC mags as well with a least 2 different lowers (brand, builder, etc).

That said, seems like AR9 has a number of “finicky” issues. Trigger packages, ejectors, action spring are a few off the top of my head. Initially I was thinking possibly “builder” issues, but since I’ve seen them across different contexts, seems maybe “just how it is” and have to tweak things. That is one aspect that has me leaning toward Sig.  Hoping because it’s a single and consistent platform design. Hope because I’ve also seen Sigs have some issues in recent matches, but I was suspecting ammo issues there.

I got a 9mm conversion on my tavor.  The problem I had with ASC mags are with the followers rubbing too much with the mags.  I've had to file down the followers and lube the mags.

Had better luck with tavor-branded colt mags.

drck1000

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2020, 09:33:12 AM »
DRCK1000

Hey I see your squaded with Channy and I this weekend.  If you want you can shoot PCC with me and run my MPX.   :rofl: :geekdanc:
Cool.  Sounds good.  :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2020, 09:34:42 AM »
I got a 9mm conversion on my tavor.  The problem I had with ASC mags are with the followers rubbing too much with the mags.  I've had to file down the followers and lube the mags.

Had better luck with tavor-branded colt mags.
9 mm conversion?  I've shot the 9 mm version of the Tavor and I liked it.  Didn't really come to mind when I started considering PCC.  It's a little pricey and heavy, but I recall it was fun to shoot. 

stangzilla

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2020, 07:29:43 AM »
Ruger PC Charger pistol 9mm

drck1000

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2020, 08:46:19 AM »
Got a bump in pay recently (which also comes with a bump in headaches), so I have been looking at PCCs again lately.  I already have a bunch of Colt pattern mags, so likely will stick with that direction.  But I'm still open to other platforms.  However, seems like the 9 mm AR market is still badly affected by the recent run on everything firearms due to COVID, civil unrest, etc. 

I found a Noveske 9 in stock, but it was above MSRP.  Even other "usual suspect" AR9s are all out of stock. 

macsak

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2020, 08:51:42 AM »
Got a bump in pay recently (which also comes with a bump in headaches), so I have been looking at PCCs again lately.  I already have a bunch of Colt pattern mags, so likely will stick with that direction.  But I'm still open to other platforms.  However, seems like the 9 mm AR market is still badly affected by the recent run on everything firearms due to COVID, civil unrest, etc. 

I found a Noveske 9 in stock, but it was above MSRP.  Even other "usual suspect" AR9s are all out of stock.

your boss is still an asshole...

drck1000

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
your boss is still an asshole...
Which one?  I have many.  One might even be a doctor, like a real doctor. . .  :rofl:

GlockNewb

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2020, 09:03:03 AM »
Got notification that my kit is being shipped - gonna customize before testing/tracking rounds.

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

ren

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »
Which one?  I have many.  One might even be a doctor, like a real doctor. . .  :rofl:

are chiropractors Doctors?
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2020, 10:39:58 AM »
are chiropractors Doctors?
chiropractor vs dentist?   :rofl:

Heavies

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »

Picked up the CMMG 9mm upper.  The mags are interesting, they have an insert that replaces the guts of regular Magpul 30r magazines.  I like that it is a double stack feed system, not single feed like many others, very easy to load, push straight in like a regular 5.56 mag.   I need to find some time to zero the dot and irons.  I'll also have to wait for the clubs to open up again to give it a proper workout. 

I like the fact that I can us it on my regular go to lower, for training and handling purposes.  The weight distribution is a little different than my normal 5.56 upper, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.   

QUIETShooter

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2020, 06:09:10 PM »
OG PCC  :thumbsup:

I've been trying so hard to get this rifle.  So far no luck.  Gonna keep trying, though..... :thumbsup:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2020, 06:36:51 PM »

Picked up the CMMG 9mm upper.  The mags are interesting, they have an insert that replaces the guts of regular Magpul 30r magazines.  I like that it is a double stack feed system, not single feed like many others, very easy to load, push straight in like a regular 5.56 mag.   I need to find some time to zero the dot and irons.  I'll also have to wait for the clubs to open up again to give it a proper workout. 

I like the fact that I can us it on my regular go to lower, for training and handling purposes.  The weight distribution is a little different than my normal 5.56 upper, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
An USPSA/IPSC shooter (I’ve shot wit him many times) has that AR mag insert. Seems like it’s pretty reliable. Chatted with the guy a few times and he said it’s been gtg for him. Good point about the training and handling familiarity aspect. I already invested in a bunch of Colt pattern mags tho.

Maybe two PCCs?  ;D

Heavies

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »

Inspector

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2020, 02:40:49 AM »

Based on everything I’ve read and all the videos I’ve watched and the CMMG upper I own in 300 Blackout I have decided to buy the Banshee Upper with threaded 5” barrel which I’ll register as a SBR. I like the modified mags as a solution. But I’m going to wait until after the panic is over, or at least a few more months since I have so many other projects in the works right now. I’m also going to use this as a platform to test a suppressor and a binary trigger.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Heavies

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2020, 09:01:09 AM »
Based on everything I’ve read and all the videos I’ve watched and the CMMG upper I own in 300 Blackout I have decided to buy the Banshee Upper with threaded 5” barrel which I’ll register as a SBR. I like the modified mags as a solution. But I’m going to wait until after the panic is over, or at least a few more months since I have so many other projects in the works right now. I’m also going to use this as a platform to test a suppressor and a binary trigger.

Beautiful!  Must be nice to live in America now.  Shyed away from PCC here for a long time because, IMO, a 16" bbl is a waste for a pistol round.   SBR PCC makes the most sense to me, especially for such things as Home defense and vehicle back up gun in an urban/suburban setting.

Gave in and decided to jump in on the PPC game for training purposes, and the ease and cost of reloading 9mm vs 5.56