I want to reload (Read 21371 times)

808gmac

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
When I first started.  I asked a lot of questions and still do.  Each weapon system is different.  I have not found the magic around round yet.  Its either not enough powder to recycle properly or over all length to long.  Just trial and error.  I always want the best of things and decided  that if I wanted a single press I would get a RCBS Rock Chucker.  Second would be Dillon 550B, Third would be Redding T7.  Then if money is not a problem get a Dillon 650 with case feeder. Buy several books.  I would get  wet tumbler with stainless steel pins.  My friends brass is super clean and shine with wet system compare to my walnut media.  Get top rated scale. Case trimmer for rifle brass.  I got the Giraud Power Case trimmer for bulk.  If small amount case trimming I picked up the CTS on a portable drill.  Or get a Sinclair Case Stainless steel trimmer.   Get case gauge for insurance. I thought I was going to save money but its adding up.  Its like buying a rifle and adding a ninja system to it.  Dillon 650 case feeder with add accessories, dies, several calibers change, will cost at around $1000.  That's just the beginning.   More you shoot, more needed brass, more powder, more primer, more bullet head, more time, and more money.  Its a hobby by itself.

yup, but it is fun and it is an integral part of shooting...you will be still be smiling when there's no factory ammo on the shelves :D

Haoleb

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »

I just want something simple but fast. If it was automated it would be even better as in press button and walk away. Does that not exist?

NO SUCH THING AS A SIMPLE FAST AUTOMATED RELOADING MACHINE
=================
If you are extremely busy or impatient, I don't recommend getting into reloading.

I would agree with this. I don't have decades of experience or even one single cartridge of experience... But if you just want to get into reloading because you want to save money and be able to make your own bullets but want to just press a button and come back 2 hours later with 5000 rounds all finished.. You probably ought to walk away now. It is a time intensive process and you need to be the kind of person who can sit down and be anal enough to do things like measure out a single grain of powder and check each and every round multiple times throughout the process. Its not a kick back on the couch with the press in one hand and a bag of potato chips in the other watching tv type of hobby.

From what you are describing wanting it to be as fast and easy as possible I get the feeling you might not really enjoy it and will be in over your head quick.

BLKDRGN

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »
I talked to a couple more people and they both said the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is better than Lee because it last a lot longer. There is no description on their site about the product.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2842&route=C04J146
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.

808gmac

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I talked to a couple more people and they both said the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is better than Lee because it last a lot longer. There is no description on their site about the product.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2842&route=C04J146

+1 RCBS presses are great, they sure last long.

Inspector

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
I've been hearing that all noobs should get a single stage. Why is that? Is it because we are not capable of learning progressive from the beginning? Is it really that complicated that we have to go single stage first? Only reason why I ask is I don't want to buy a single and then when I get the hang of things after a couple weeks I have to now buy progressive. Is progressive really only for cranking out lots of rounds really fast? I just want something simple but fast. If it was automated it would be even better as in press button and walk away. Does that not exist?
A single stage press is good to learn on because it removes the mechanical portion of reloading out of the equation. Which sometimes can be the cause of frustration and problems while reloading. Get to know reloading first then move on to the more complicated equipment. Also, if you plan to reload for rifle and you want to be as precise as possible you will want to use a single stage for this. Progressive presses are good for putting out large quantities of well prepared ammunition but for the most accurate rifle ammo you may want to weigh each powder charge. Which pretty much nullifies the advantages of the progressive press.

BTW, last week WGS had their Dillon Progressive press at the front of the store that Joe has used for years to reload for sale for $400 for everything!!!! What a deal!!!!!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Inspector

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »
I talked to a couple more people and they both said the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is better than Lee because it last a lot longer. There is no description on their site about the product.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2842&route=C04J146
Of all the single stages I think the Rock Chucker is the best all around press. Nothing wrong with the Lee it is just a little smaller and does not have the extra long stroke the Rock Chucker has.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 09:26:34 AM »
Of all the single stages I think the Rock Chucker is the best all around press. Nothing wrong with the Lee it is just a little smaller and does not have the extra long stroke the Rock Chucker has.

Opinion on a "kit" versus buying equipment separately?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBS-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading-Kit/1324071.uts
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

ren

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
With respect to this LEE Classic Cast
http://leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html
I like the Lee better. It is just as strong as my RockChucker II I had PLUS the spent primers pass through a hollow ram straight to my waste basket. The RockChucker flinged it out and was rather dirty. The LEE Classic Cast is cast iron and is as hefty as the RC. The LEE had more adjustability than the RC. I paid a little more at WGS - $150 than I could get it online shipped - just to support our LGS.
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »
Opinion on a "kit" versus buying equipment separately?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBS-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading-Kit/1324071.uts
===============
You still gonna need a lot of stuff. That kit is a fine start though. I guesstimate another $200 in stuff easily.
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
Opinion on a "kit" versus buying equipment separately?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBS-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading-Kit/1324071.uts
Nothing wrong with buying the kit. I bought the kit 25 years ago. LOL And I have spent he last 25 years replacing almost everything in the kit. For instance the first thing I replaced was the balance beam scale. There was nothing wrong with it. I just wanted a digital scale with the powder trickler attached. I also replaced the funnel with one that works better with multiple calibers. I replaced the plastic dial calipers with a metal digital model that is more accurate. Again, nothing wrong with the dial calipers. I just wanted one that reads to 3 decimal places. I still have the dial calipers and use them to measure my target groups. I got tired of trimming hundreds of cases by hand so I replaced the hand operated model with a powered one. I reloaded thousands of 9mm with that kit and a RCBS Jr press.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

808gmac

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 12:25:27 PM »
Maybe, wait until the Gun Show, sometimes somebody will be selling a reloading set-up.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:44:10 PM by 808gmac »

BLKDRGN

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 03:51:04 PM »
Good idea about the gun show. In the mean time my friend has the RCBS and Dillion that I can practice on. I'm pretty sure that he will reload soon since he did about 400 rounds today.
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.

Jbaroune

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »
I have a lee pro 1000 progressive press from amazon. It very simple and gets the job done and can reload multiple calibers. I reload .38 and .40.  Its not the best press but it is very productive producing about 500rds in about an hour while taking my time and breaks. Best of all is it didn't  break the bank. You just have go for it and buy everything you need to get goin and try it. Dont spend months thinking and talking about it just go for it. I hear alot of guys wishing they could reload and really want to start but are afraid to get started which is why im telling you to buy everything now. The faster you get the equipment the more motivated youll be to educate yourself on the process and get started. and start saving money on ammo.  But do your research so you dont get hurt. Everything you need is online and on youtube. The LEE website has tutorial videos to help you set up the press and get it started. My friend and i started shooting this past january and were reloading in febuary. Its not hard. Make the investment and go for it. Definatly worth it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:57:03 PM by Jbaroune »

Sigma

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 12:25:52 AM »
I talked to a couple more people and they both said the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is better than Lee because it last a lot longer. There is no description on their site about the product.

I'm waiting for my Rock Chucker Supreme to arrive. RCBS has a $50 rebate for any sales over $300!

http://www.rcbs.com/pdf/RC316_2013RCBSWebRebateCoupon_FNL.pdf

808gmac

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
I'm waiting for my Rock Chucker Supreme to arrive. RCBS has a $50 rebate for any sales over $300!

http://www.rcbs.com/pdf/RC316_2013RCBSWebRebateCoupon_FNL.pdf

Great! :thumbsup:

birdmove

Re: I want to reload
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
    I actually prefer the Lee Hand Press. I'm not shooting much these days, but used to shoot a lot of NRA 100 meter hunter pistol and IHMSA 200 meter metallic silhouette handgun competition, and some bowling pin matches. I used the Lee for all of my reloading including 30/30, 32/20, and .22 Hornet and a bunch of handgun calibers. I like to keep things simple and don't want a progressive. Carbide dies sets help a lot too. I reloaded for myself and a friend for these matches. Here is a youtube showing the Lee press:        I like an RCBS hand primer. Then a decent powder charger. Here is just the Lee press.         http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000NOQIFO/?tag=2ahawaii-20

   I don't care about reloading fast.   I used my first Lee press so much, I wore it out.