Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing (Read 8374 times)

passivekinetic

"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

SpeedTek

  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4749
  • Total likes: 126
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »
Hard to beat a Lead Sled full weighted rest. or similar
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

ren

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
I have these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001AT4Q9Q/?tag=2ahawaii-20
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000G79ADU/?tag=2ahawaii-20
and served me well.
I'm not a benchrest shooter though so my experience is zeroing etc. nothing serious, no accuracy dancing, praying to reloading gods etc.
Deeds Not Words

passivekinetic

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »
I just need to zero.

I want to zero at 50 yards at Kokohead.

(Is the elevation going to affect the trajectory much? Since we are not shooting level with the target?)
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Tom_G

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
I use the Caldwell bags:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002APAWY2/?tag=2ahawaii-20
They ship as empty bags, it's up to you to fill them, so you can decide how heavy you want them to be.  Leas shot at one extreme, AirSoft bbs at the other.  Mine are filled with rice.  Light enough to be relatively easy to transport, dense enough not to get blown off the table.  Plus, in a pinch, I have emergency food!

As you can see from my posts in the competition thread, I may not be a consistent MOA shooter, but I can definitely get a rifle (and a pistol) sighted in!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Tom_G

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »

(Is the elevation going to affect the trajectory much? Since we are not shooting level with the target?)

Meh.  If you are zeroing at 50 with the plans of shooting bullseyes at 500, then you'll have an issue.  For practical purposes, no worries.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

passivekinetic

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
ok
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

passivekinetic

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
I use the Caldwell bags:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002APAWY2/?tag=2ahawaii-20
They ship as empty bags, it's up to you to fill them, so you can decide how heavy you want them to be.  Leas shot at one extreme, AirSoft bbs at the other.  Mine are filled with rice.  Light enough to be relatively easy to transport, dense enough not to get blown off the table.  Plus, in a pinch, I have emergency food!

As you can see from my posts in the competition thread, I may not be a consistent MOA shooter, but I can definitely get a rifle (and a pistol) sighted in!

Hehe, hey that is a great idea. I might truly consider this.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Heavies

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
What where you going to shoot, and how where you going to shoot it?  If you zero off a rest or bags then shoot from a bipod or from a sling, your point of impact will be different. Id recommend zeroing using the rest or method you will be using to do the bulk of shooting.  If you will be shooting all from the bench then a rest is good. If hunting and plan to shoot off your pack, use that... bipod ...  ect. 

That being said, I have a caldwell joystick rest for sale if you are interested.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/956104/caldwell-fire-control-rifle-front-shooting-rest

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/04/fire-control-joystick-rest-user-review/

passivekinetic

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »
I wanted to zero using bags, and then shoot paper targets from prone, knee, squat, sitting positions. Also those steel targets at Kokohead.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Heavies

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
Id just use the stuff they have there then.  Its free. Just use the wooden rest eith sand bags to get a good stable position, shoot for zero, then have fun plinking. ;)

Dolomite

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »
This one here is the winner....

dirsh

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »
I got the filled Caldwell bags from Amazon
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

passivekinetic

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

SpeedTek

  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4749
  • Total likes: 126
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
The main thing is have an experienced person show you how to hold the rifle. Positioning is everthing. Also having to deal with heart rate breathing are also major factors which can throw off a shot by 1/4" or more and this is with a rest.,
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

passivekinetic

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 07:56:54 PM »
OK thanks. I did the 4-day rifle at Front Sight just recently, but I definitely would love for someone to help me with it because I probably forgot most of it.

I do remember still NPOA but I am also wondering how much windage I have to deal with at Kokohead. I remember it always seemed to have a breeze.

The day I go to Kokohead, I will ask one of the RSO for assistance. Or post here and say I will be there at such and such time and see who might be also.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Hi state

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 08:25:37 PM »
OK thanks. I did the 4-day rifle at Front Sight just recently, but I definitely would love for someone to help me with it because I probably forgot most of it.

I do remember still NPOA but I am also wondering how much windage I have to deal with at Kokohead. I remember it always seemed to have a breeze.

The day I go to Kokohead, I will ask one of the RSO for assistance. Or post here and say I will be there at such and such time and see who might be also.
I'm sure u will be fine seeing that u went to front sight and understand the concept of natural point of aim just remember your breathing,exhale and pull the trigger also remember your follow through I keep my finger on the trigger and don't release till after the shot. I would also recommend sighting the rifle in the position you are going to be shooting it the most. I normally sight in with a bipod and a bag but also have a lead sled if u want to try it out?

passivekinetic

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 06:00:15 AM »
ok thanks; i will keep that in mind.

do we use the support hand to brace it gently against the firing shoulder, or should only the firing hand touch the rifle?
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

dirsh

Re: Please help me pick decent value BENCH REST for zeroing
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002APAWY2/?tag=2ahawaii-20

I have this set. Sometimes I wish the rear bag was bigger but you could always use a sandbag to raise it up
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻