What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range? (Read 11205 times)

ImKu

What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
Just wondering what others have used with success.  I currently settled on 175gr SMK for my bolt R700.  I plan on shooting at Pu'uloa with that load and have high hopes.  With that said, does accuracy at 100yrds translate to accuracy at longer distances majority of the time?  I understand that there are tons of variations that come into play, but I'm just asking a general question.  I think my next load development will be with 155gr Lapua Scenars.  So what's your guys experiences with different bullets?
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

338KID

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
I like the 175 smk ... Got a box of hornady 178 tho I have never loaded any yet ...
Fast is fine , accuracy is final

powder monkey

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
use of a chronograph will help with load development ........................ :thumbsup:

also good read but it's been awhile since last post

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/p/articles-index.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:50:38 PM by powder monkey »

ImKu

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
use of a chronograph will help with load development ........................ :thumbsup:

also good read but it's been awhile since lat post

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/p/articles-index.html

Waiting for the brown truck to deliver my Magnetospeed V2 today  O0
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

338KID

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
Waiting for the brown truck to deliver my Magnetospeed V2 today  O0
lol let me know when that brown truck comes my pelican case should be on it to
Fast is fine , accuracy is final

Heavies

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
175 SMK will do fine at Puuloa.  I use 168 Berger Hybrids in matches.  High BC and stellar accuracy are a winner combination. 

Heavies

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
At longer ranges you want the least velocity deviation you can get.  Losing points because of vertical is in your control.  Your loads should have good SD and ES numbers.

ImKu

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 06:02:20 PM »
At longer ranges you want the least velocity deviation you can get.  Losing points because of vertical is in your control.  Your loads should have good SD and ES numbers.

What would you say is good SD and ES numbers?  When you work up loads what is your SD / ES threshold of what you think is an acceptable load?  I plan on using the 175 SMK for now.  Groups great at 100yrds... guess I will find out how it does at longer rangers tomorrow.

Here was my results for 10 shots:

175 SMK (hand roll)
SD = 8            ES = 28

XM118LR (factory load)
SD = 20          ES = 69
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

Heavies

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
Your load should be good to go at 600.  With an ES of 28 fps that would be approximately 1/2" deviation at 600 yards.  Well within the 1 MOA
10 ring of the standard F-class target.  Better ES can be had with careful case prep, IE neck thickness sorting,  primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburr, et cetera.

If we ever get to shoot the 1000 at puuloa then it will be critical for the loads to have ES/SD in the single digits.  Longer range will greatly magnify the error.
 
Wind reading, mirage mitigation,  and fatigue will be more of an issue than your load.  You should do fine...  ;)

Heavies

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
185 bergers are also a wind bucking beast of a projectile!   I have a load with 155 sierra palmas.  Shoots superb, however wind catches these guys a little... :)

ImKu

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »
Your load should be good to go at 600.  With an ES of 28 fps that would be approximately 1/2" deviation at 600 yards.  Well within the 1 MOA
10 ring of the standard F-class target.  Better ES can be had with careful case prep, IE neck thickness sorting,  primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburr, et cetera.

If we ever get to shoot the 1000 at puuloa then it will be critical for the loads to have ES/SD in the single digits.  Longer range will greatly magnify the error.
 
Wind reading, mirage mitigation,  and fatigue will be more of an issue than your load. 

Thank you for your input.  This was probably the case for me as I had great groupings at 200/300 and decent groups at 500 yrds (within the 9 ring) for my first time shooting paper at this distance.  As soon as we started shooting 600 yrds, IMO 2 factors played a role in my shot placement as I was in the first group of shooters and mirage was pretty minimal.  First was the cross wind, this is just something that I need to learn how to read and come up with a strategy as my guess is that the cross wind was about 5-15+ mph (dialed -1.5mils to start for an estimated 10mph wind).  Second is after the first 10-15 shots I began to see more vertical spread.  It could be me(most likely), or maybe as the temp of my barrel got higher accuracy was lost.  Not sure, but I will say I enjoyed the experience of shooting at Pu'uloa and will definately be doing that again.  One thing I did learn is I need alot more practice.  I will probably do some load development of the 155 Lapua scenars to see how that will do next time.
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

Heavies

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »
What powder are you using? Also on that range,  the winds at 600 are a little strange. It swirls, so that could be a part of the vertical too..

ImKu

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
What powder are you using? Also on that range,  the winds at 600 are a little strange. It swirls, so that could be a part of the vertical too..

For the time Varget.  The only other powder I have in my stock is IMR 8208 XBR.  I probably will be doing a totally different load down the line as I found this new "need" to find a new bolt action with a longer bbl and lose the muzzle break as I would like to enter a comp someday...  The winds were strange as not all the flags were showing strong crosswinds at times.
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

Heavies

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 05:48:40 PM »
With varget you should not have any problems with heat affecting velocity too much..  it was probably the wind.  Firing when the wind is switching would cause it.  I usually wait till all flags point to the right condition.

Unless we get to shoot 1k there, longer barrel in .308 probably wouldn't be needed.  Just get a thread proctector for your barrel and use that, if you shoot a match.  You might have to tweak your load a little sans muzzel break.  Probably just a seating depth adjustment if you are in a good node.

I built a rifle specifically for 1k target shooting, I was sorely disappointed when I found out we wouldn't be allowed.  I should have built a tactical...   at least I could have used it for hunting and other purposes...   

ImKu

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »

Too late, got a AI AE MKIII on the way  ;D.  If you don't mind me asking, why is 1k target shooting not allowed?
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

ren

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 05:57:20 PM »
Too late, got a AI AE MKIII on the way  ;D.  If you don't mind me asking, why is 1k target shooting not allowed?
From what I heard shooters using the 1k yard line have to be grads of a .mil sniper school, using .mil rifles and ammo.
Deeds Not Words

ImKu

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Was 1k ever available for those that did not meet those requirements (just wondering as it is irrelevant now)?  I can only guess that there were safety or maybe liability concerns that would have pushed that decision. 
I wish there were more venues that offer F-Class events/practices available locally as I have really enjoyed shooting at further distances.  It's kinda hard to test loads when you are limited 100yrds at kokohead.
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita

ren

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 09:54:31 AM »
Was 1k ever available for those that did not meet those requirements (just wondering as it is irrelevant now)?  I can only guess that there were safety or maybe liability concerns that would have pushed that decision. 
I wish there were more venues that offer F-Class events/practices available locally as I have really enjoyed shooting at further distances.  It's kinda hard to test loads when you are limited 100yrds at kokohead.
Nope. The only other place to shoot farther than 600 is at Schofield..I think it was KR3? But it is shooting at misc. objects so a range finder would help I don't remember any provisions at setting up targets.
Deeds Not Words

Heavies

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
Too late, got a AI AE MKIII on the way  ;D.  If you don't mind me asking, why is 1k target shooting not allowed?
Woot woot!  Should be sweet. You can do very well with that one for sure, and, a lot of functionality too in other applications. 
I have an itch for a DTA chassis with a .308 barrel...  hopefully sometime next year. . 

Something about impact area and proximity to the housing. .  Not sure of the 'real' reason,  hopefully this will change and they eventually let the club out there..

zippz

Re: What's your favorite .308 bullet for long range?
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »
Nope. The only other place to shoot farther than 600 is at Schofield..I think it was KR3? But it is shooting at misc. objects so a range finder would help I don't remember any provisions at setting up targets.

At Schofield long distance range, you can only shoot at the existing steel targets setup out there.  You cannot setup your own targets except at short range, I forgot how far, like 50 yards or something.