anti-GMO people have no idea what GMO means (Read 16106 times)

macsak

ren

Re: anti-GMO people have no idea what GMO means
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:52:29 AM »
So it has nothing to do with the SuperFerry???
Deeds Not Words

bass monkey

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 07:58:49 AM »
nice post.
The maui county farming ban vote is coming up soon.  It will be on the ballot.  Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

yurcarmeean

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 12:05:53 PM »
LOL

o lawd...don't try to ask these people what "pro-label" is

i miss the days when "non-gmo" food was simply called "food"

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

mauidog

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 12:17:19 PM »
GMO?

OMG!  LOL!!

SMH... :(
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

macsak

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
nice post.
The maui county farming ban vote is coming up soon.  It will be on the ballot.  Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

the NO ads are very effective and well funded by big ag
my prediction is that it will be a landslide
the anti-GMO folks are a very vocal minority
same ones who were against the superferry
they did win that one, however...

bass monkey

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Yeah I checked out the site.
Lots of the workers here have vote no signs.
There's about 200 or so jobs on the line here, since there the biggest employer in town right now.
Statistically, the decision will be up to maui, they have the larger voting base.
Such how it goes in a democracy, the towns and cities vote for for the towns and those in the country.

zippz

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:02:40 AM »
I've been reading some of the GMO comments from the Maui news site, and it's eye opening.  The threats and ignorance are off the chart, just like the occupy movement or those anti-vaccination/autism crowd.   I'm not sure if these people are getting paid to do this, or if they are just complete idiots.  Lots of science supports GMO's, but anti's can't put out any solid facts.  I love it when they eat and don't know all papaya's grown in Hawaii are GMO. 

http://mauinow.com/2014/10/27/photos-anti-gmo-group-holds-rally-ahead-of-november-vote/#comment-29110
http://mauinow.com/2014/10/03/council-candidates-reveal-gmo-stance-at-business-fest/
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

bass monkey

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
Anyone got an update on the moratorium and what the result was?
Can someone post it for me when it comes out.

s15project

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
From Hawaii News Now
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/category/290975/2014-general-election-complete-results

HI MAUI: Voter Initiative: Genetically Engineered Organisms
0% OF PRECINCTS REPORTING
    NO   11,370   60%
    YES   7,655   40%

Looks like it'd take a lot to make up the difference now.

bass monkey

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
Thanks for the update

macsak

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »
Thanks for the update

second printout now in
NO NO              14,889    56%
YES YES      11,906    44%
BLANK BLANK      430   2%

Kuleana

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 12:25:43 AM »
I've been reading some of the GMO comments from the Maui news site, and it's eye opening.  The threats and ignorance are off the chart, just like the occupy movement or those anti-vaccination/autism crowd.   I'm not sure if these people are getting paid to do this, or if they are just complete idiots.  Lots of science supports GMO's, but anti's can't put out any solid facts.  I love it when they eat and don't know all papaya's grown in Hawaii are GMO. 

http://mauinow.com/2014/10/27/photos-anti-gmo-group-holds-rally-ahead-of-november-vote/#comment-29110
http://mauinow.com/2014/10/03/council-candidates-reveal-gmo-stance-at-business-fest/

Although there maybe some misguided individuals that comprise the anti-GMO movement, not everyone who are against GMOs in Hawaii resorts to threats and/or are solely ignorant of the relevant issues.  There are many in Hawaii who simply choose not to consume GMO foods .  Your blanket statement to those of this belief is very insulting.

Kuleana

zippz

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 09:55:20 AM »
Although there maybe some misguided individuals that comprise the anti-GMO movement, not everyone who are against GMOs in Hawaii resorts to threats and/or are solely ignorant of the relevant issues.  There are many in Hawaii who simply choose not to consume GMO foods .  Your blanket statement to those of this belief is very insulting.

Kuleana

It was not a blanket statement, the post was referring to those making threats, arrogance, insults, and to those trying to push their beliefs onto others who prefer to eat GMO foods, and taking jobs away from the workers based on paranoia and pseudo science.  If you are someone that wants to eat organic and make choices for yourself, but doesn't force other people to do the same or take away jobs, then I apologize and my post wasn't directed to you.  I don't care if you eat GMO foods or not.

The vote to ban GMO's is a bad law that prevents choice and forces a belief onto others and takes jobs away and may lead to higher prices and MORE environmental damage when science says they are safe.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:21:01 AM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Kuleana

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 04:04:11 PM »
It was not a blanket statement, the post was referring to those making threats, arrogance, insults, and to those trying to push their beliefs onto others who prefer to eat GMO foods, and taking jobs away from the workers based on paranoia and pseudo science.  If you are someone that wants to eat organic and make choices for yourself, but doesn't force other people to do the same or take away jobs, then I apologize and my post wasn't directed to you.  I don't care if you eat GMO foods or not.

The vote to ban GMO's is a bad law that prevents choice and forces a belief onto others and takes jobs away and may lead to higher prices and MORE environmental damage when science says they are safe.

Mahalo for the clarification.       :shaka:

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 09:15:10 PM »
The yes votes prevail. Everyday I question our future as a whole. Smh

Heavies

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 09:17:07 PM »
I hate to see what this will do to Molokai.  :(

newguy86

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
As a chef, I hated when ppl just started asking if things we cook was gmo, really ppl just blow it up, and dont understand what it really was, its like gelatin free, low salt, etc.

Q

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:35:17 PM by Q »

Heavies