How to sell & ship a rifle to another state (Read 3907 times)

ren

How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »
Anyone have experience with this? Can you outline the process? Thanks :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words

JHanawahine

Re: How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »
I use gunbroker. I only accept USPS money order.have them send FFL(some FFL won't send license to individual ) or what ever FFL they want you to send to ezcheck the FFL on the atf website.pack in unmarked box and send USPS priority.state that it is and a long gun & no ammunition in package and purchase insurance.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:29:06 AM by JHanawahine »

Colt808

Re: How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »
Anyone have experience with this? Can you outline the process? Thanks :thumbsup:

I've done this many times. The selling method is whatever you're comfortable with.

Have the buyer send you payment, a copy of the their ID, and a SIGNED copy of the FFL you're mailing to.

Send unloaded (I run a zip tie through the chamber) via USPS registrered mail or Priority Express or a commercial carrier to the FFL with a copy of my ID and bill of sale with information from the buyers ID included.

(Items in red are REQUIRED)

**Getting a copy of their ID and including yours with a bill of sale is optional, but I believe in covering yourself.**

Keep copies of everything.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine


And I still see stupid people.

JHanawahine

Re: How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
An FFL is not required to give a signed copy of license(unless you are a FFL dealer)shipping USPS "express" is just faster priority,registered is recommended.Always buy insurance!

suka

Re: How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »
Get a copy of his FFL (fax, email, paper, any is OK). Check online with ATF web site that the FFL is valid.

send rifle via USPS (cheapest) with your info and FFL info on the inside.

Done!

ren

Re: How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »
I asked the PO clerk and she said it wasn't acceptable and pointed me to a sign that says it is against the law to possess any type of firearm in the post office. Do I need to declare the rifle to them?
Deeds Not Words

mamalukino

Re: How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
Many of the people working in both the PO and other shipping companies such as UPS and FEDEX have no clue as to legality and proper procedure.
Even some of the Postmasters are ignorant to legal procedure of shipping a firearm thru the mail.

Both the ATF and the PO have legality and proper procedures online if you due a search.

I would advise making copies of these resources to take with you to PO when shipping.
Life Member NRA

mamalukino

Re: How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »

Even some of the Postmasters are ignorant to legal procedure of shipping a firearm thru the mail.

Both the ATF and the PO have legality and proper procedures online if you due a search.

I would advise making copies of these resources to take with you to PO when shipping.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm
Life Member NRA

JHanawahine

Re: How to sell & ship a rifle to another state
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »
Yes declare the rifle.USPS may ask you to open parcel to check if not loaded or ineligible to mail.I usually take a copy of USPS policy & copy of FFL if I have one(the last rifle I sent I just printed the main page of the website of FFL I was sending to). I've never actually had to use them though.