the truth about breaking in barrels (Read 3298 times)

ren

the truth about breaking in barrels
« on: June 26, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
From Gale McMillan
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

BLUF: so barrel makers can sell you more barrels ;)
Deeds Not Words

aieahound

Re: the truth about breaking in barrels
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
Great info. I'm a believer.

You break in a barrel by shooting it.
And cleaning it afterwards.

(Then again I don't have any $2000 guns. Or anything close. )

Heavies

Re: the truth about breaking in barrels
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »

 
You may have to modify this procedure at Kokohead a little, but the idea is the same....

TastesLikeMetal

Re: the truth about breaking in barrels
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:20:29 PM »

 
You may have to modify this procedure at Kokohead a little, but the idea is the same....

Love John McQuay, breaks things down where even I can understand it.

Inspector

Re: the truth about breaking in barrels
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 09:20:46 PM »
I read the instructions on the Internet on the Remington website as to how to break in the barrel of my 700 5R. Followed them to the letter. How would I know if I had just put a 100 rounds through it that it would shoot any different? Most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Went out to the Noveske website to find out how to break in that barrel. They basically described the procedure featured in the video Heavies posted. I have never cared about breaking in a barrel of any gun I own other than those two.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Heavies

Re: the truth about breaking in barrels
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 12:55:45 AM »
I read the instructions on the Internet on the Remington website as to how to break in the barrel of my 700 5R. Followed them to the letter. How would I know if I had just put a 100 rounds through it that it would shoot any different? Most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Went out to the Noveske website to find out how to break in that barrel. They basically described the procedure featured in the video Heavies posted. I have never cared about breaking in a barrel of any gun I own other than those two.

Lol.  If one where to go through a formal "break in" (shoot, clean, shoot) of any factory Remington 700 barrels I have come across, you would NEVER get all the copper out of the rusty pipe they call a barrel.  Somehow they shoot though, so my theory is..  if it shoots good leave it be. 

I have a custom with a Bartlein barrel, I shot 30 rounds at the range as a "break in".... the barrel is so smooth 3 wet patches, a fast scrub with a nylon brush, 3 wet patches, and dry the bore and it is spotless.  I have over 1K rounds through that bore and it still shoots 1/2 to 1/4 MOA if I do my job, probably better with a better driver.