Body camera for daughter at daycare (Read 4374 times)

monster796

Body camera for daughter at daycare
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »
Hello everyone,


I am leaving island soon, my wife is pregnant(ready to pop lol). I am going to college full time and my wife is going to work as a nurse full time and we need a daycare but, I have seen numerous videos of children being abused by these monsters. I would like to have a body cam capable of recording for at least 8 hours, I suspect there are a couple of parents at least that can provide insight. Thanks so much!

oldfart

Re: Body camera for daughter at daycare
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
I have 4 kids. Here is my opinion.
Putting a cam on your kid is paranoid.
It tells the caregiver that you don't trust them for a second.
I think you just need to visit a few different daycare places and observe the people and location.
For the most part, your natural instincts will tell you if a place is good or bad.
Furthermore, I hope you remember that kids get bumps and scratches no matter how good the caregiver is.
Kids are surprisingly rugged.
What, Me Worry?

monster796

Re: Body camera for daughter at daycare
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »
Hey,

Thank for your response, it is truly said when I say that I will NOT trust anyone with my kid, aside from friends and family. Daycare centers sometimes have cameras already installed but, as the daycare owner says in this video( ) she was afraid to realease the footage as it could have, and most likely. Ruined the reputation of the center. It does seem paranoid but, I could care less what a center thinks and I can't replace my child. Anyone in that profession should understand and not mind, I certainly would not mind at all if I ran a daycare center and a kid had a body cam. It is true that my child will have cuts and bruises as they grow. Again I appreciate your input :D

Rocky

Re: Body camera for daughter at daycare
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:38:31 PM »
I like OldFart am a father of 4 and their still alive and relatively stable aside from my parenting technique :rofl: (actually they are all doing VERY WELL).
Yes, a child will have cuts and bruises as they grow, but the should not be inflicted by whom you trust them with and actually, friends and family are more likely to be the culprits. FACT.

  This owner did the right thing with the first step being installing camera's in her work place to protect the children.
Good Job :wave:
    Facing the facts when a situation arose.
Awesome Job ! :worship:

  I think a body cam will make the kid more paranoid than the daycare workers.
Just find yourself a reputable facility, and make sure they have cameras if that is one of your requirements.
  At the FIRST HINT of abuse, ask to see the camera footage.
A reputable facility should have no  problem with that.
  If they do, call the cops and stand there till they arrive and charge child abuse .  :closed:


« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:46:13 PM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

Re: Body camera for daughter at daycare
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
Here is a thought....
If I were a parent of one of the other kids there, I would not like the idea of someone taking videos of my kid (and the others too) for 8 hours a day.
That sounds pretty weird and possibly illegal. It's not a public place.
What, Me Worry?

mauidog

Re: Body camera for daughter at daycare
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:23:30 PM »
Hawaii is a one-party consent state, so if any party being recorded is a participant in the conversation, it's legal.

The problem comes in with a couple of issues.  First, the child is a minor and cannot be viewed as having consented to being recorded.  The parent can't give consent for the minor if the parent is not a party to the conversation.  So, recording audio would be a bad idea legally.

As for video, you can't record any place in which there is an expectation of privacy.  So, recording while in a restroom would be illegal.  There may also be rules in the daycare contract about taking pictures inside the classrooms without first getting permission.

Regardless of which technology or devices you pick, do some research first on whether or not you can use it without being arrested or sued.

More and more businesses are installing cameras to protect themselves from liability claims and catch criminals.  Why not call around to every daycare in your area and make a list of those with security cameras?  Then ask if parents are allowed to access the video.  I've read where some daycares let parents view video remotely so thay can keep an eye on their children at daycare, but I don't know if any were in Hawaii.

Food for thought.....
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

monster796

Re: Body camera for daughter at daycare
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »
It is sad when you have to think about stuff like this, I wish it was all sunshine and rainbows... I forgot to mention I am relocation to Arizona, according to some of my friends, that lived there, most folks are evidently severely racist to brown folks. I am Hispanic and my wife is Asian (normally I hate being the one to talk about racists folks as I don't think it is a big problem today, but my different friends where I worked said it was bad). It is troubling because most of these folks caught abusing children had no records. I'll throw the camera idea out of the window lol. You guys are rock stars and have the best advice, I truly appreciate your assistance guys :)

Jl808

Body camera for daughter at daycare
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:26:54 PM »
Some good advice here. 

I'm a parent too and believe that the primary responsibility of protecting my kids falls on me.  If something unfortunate happened to them when they are too young to protect themselves, I would consider it my fault for not doing enough due diligence.

While a camera would be useful for after the fact, I always remember that it only takes one incident to cause damage.  So don't rely on it exclusively.

If finances allow and if the child is old enough, an established preschool might be better than daycare. At least, there are more teachers and administrators to provide oversight.

Visit the daycare -- Don't put your kid in a place with minimal or no oversight on the primary caretaker.

Get to know the caretaker, the people in charge and talk to the other parents.   Sit and observe how a day in the daycare goes.  Talk to the primary caretaker and the administrators often.

Talk to your child.  Tell him/her what is appropriate and what is not.  Give them the rules about using the bathroom.  Ask them questions.

Anyway, back to your op... what about something like this?  Seems a bit bulky for a toddler though and (disclaimer) I have no experience with this device.

http://www.pigear.com/store/Cameras/Body-Worn-Cameras/PatrolEyes-HD-1080P-Infrared-Wide-Angel-Police-Body-Camera-p1250.html

[edit] just read the other replies... Yeah, best check the legality of using a recording device.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.