Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix? (Read 13222 times)

Mr. Farknocker

Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »
I'm headed to Phoenix for a week beginning next week to hang out with a bud and his family. My bud just so happens to be a gun nut. I was wondering if there's anything (firearms related) worth checking out while I'm there? Are there any LGS or shooting ranges out there worth visiting? If not, is there anything worth noting about it's firearm laws? CCW? Open carry? Etc.?

GZire

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »
Scottsdale gun club is supposed to have a very good reputation.  Maybe check them out...........take a class?

onewaymedia

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »
Cabelas and bass pro.  Dillion reloading press store is in Scottsdale.  Harbor freight is always fun to go into.  Up in Prescott has jgsales.com
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:51:09 PM by onewaymedia »

Mr. Farknocker

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
Awesome leads! I'll be in Prescott so I'll definitely have to visit jgsales and some of the other places.  :shaka:

Bigkahuna808

  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1609
  • Total likes: 36
  • "He's got the eye of the Jew"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »
Good deals to read im gonna be there too, not to far from Scottsdale gun club should pop in.  I googled it and in the Scottsdale area they have 129 shops in the greater Scottsdale area that sell guns

onewaymedia

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
NP...I was living there for a couple years.  There tons of gun shops in Phoenix, I would check out their websites before choosing one.    Post review/pics of jgsales store if you can, I've never been there and have been wanting to go for a while.   :shaka: 

Kingkeoni

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
In Arizona, anyone can open carry or conceal carry without any permit needed.

Arizona is the most gun friendly state in all the United states.

Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Bigkahuna808

  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1609
  • Total likes: 36
  • "He's got the eye of the Jew"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 07:31:48 AM »
Anyone know the purchase law of az.  Can i walk into to gun store or pawn shop and buy a rifle or pistol.  Or would i need a AZ or border state id?

dustoff003

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:43:06 AM »

Anyone know the purchase law of az.  Can i walk into to gun store or pawn shop and buy a rifle or pistol.  Or would i need a AZ or border state id?
not a definitive answer here, https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/arizona/ in most states you'd be able to purchase long arms but not directly purchase handguns I doubt AZ is any different. You could get a handgun it would most likely need to be transferred to an FFL here.

Mr. Farknocker

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
not a definitive answer here, https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/arizona/ in most states you'd be able to purchase long arms but not directly purchase handguns I doubt AZ is any different. You could get a handgun it would most likely need to be transferred to an FFL here.

I can't tell from that website whether a permit is required to purchase rifles, shotguns and/or handguns but since licensing is not required, I would guess the answer is, "no."  Assuming I was able to pick up a handgun, rifle or shotgun in AZ without a permit, would I be able to simply bring it back here in check-in luggage and register it within 72 hours without a problem so long as i provided HPD with a receipt or would I have to have the Arizona LGS ship it to an FFL in Hawaii?

dustoff003

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »

I can't tell from that website whether a permit is required to purchase rifles, shotguns and/or handguns but since licensing is not required, I would guess the answer is, "no."  Assuming I was able to pick up a handgun, rifle or shotgun in AZ without a permit, would I be able to simply bring it back here in check-in luggage and register it within 72 hours without a problem so long as i provided HPD with a receipt or would I have to have the Arizona LGS ship it to an FFL in Hawaii?
Handgun would have to go to an FFL here as best as I can tell. Some local FFL here will accept transfers from non FFL's. Long guns as long as you can buy them just bring back and register with in the 3 days just tell HPD they are from out of state.

Mr. Farknocker

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »
So you are saying that even If you can just buy handguns over the counter in AZ, you must still send them to an FFL in Hawaii instead of bringing them back and registering them like you would a long gun?

mauidog

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »
So you are saying that even If you can just buy handguns over the counter in AZ, you must still send them to an FFL in Hawaii instead of bringing them back and registering them like you would a long gun?

I don't think a seller can legally transfer a handgun to an out-of-state buyer unless the buyer has an FFL (Class 03 C&R is good for C&R items).

So, an AZ seller needs to ship your purchase to a Hawaii FFL if you are a Hawaii resident.

There are exceptions, but for handguns, there are very few.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Heavies

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 06:00:46 PM »
CZ Custom is in Mesa, if you go to that area.  BAdass CZ's  >:D >:D >:D


1008 S Center St

Mesa, Arizona

Kingkeoni

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
So you are saying that even If you can just buy handguns over the counter in AZ, you must still send them to an FFL in Hawaii instead of bringing them back and registering them like you would a long gun?

NO

You can not buy firearms in Arizona (hand guns or long guns) without them sending them to a Hawaii FFL.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Sodie

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 10:18:17 PM »
I AM NOT A LAWYER, NOR AN FFL HOLDER

My understanding is that federal law doesn't prohibit purchasing a long gun outside your state of residence. As long as it's legal in BOTH states, should be ok. (For example, if you live in a state where ARs are illegal, you can't buy one out of state and bring it back.  Or if you would be a "prohibited person" in Hawaii, you couldn't buy a shotgun and bring it back.)

I believe out-of-state handgun purchases were prohibited by the Gun Control Act of 1968, but the federal court ruling in Mance v. Holder has muddied those waters... Regardless, I think you'd have a hard time finding an FFL that would be willing to risk it.

Kingkeoni

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »
I AM NOT A LAWYER, NOR AN FFL HOLDER

My understanding is that federal law doesn't prohibit purchasing a long gun outside your state of residence. As long as it's legal in BOTH states, should be ok. (For example, if you live in a state where ARs are illegal, you can't buy one out of state and bring it back.  Or if you would be a "prohibited person" in Hawaii, you couldn't buy a shotgun and bring it back.)

I believe out-of-state handgun purchases were prohibited by the Gun Control Act of 1968, but the federal court ruling in Mance v. Holder has muddied those waters... Regardless, I think you'd have a hard time finding an FFL that would be willing to risk it.

You are wrong.


Because Hawaii requires you to obtain a permit to acquire, they will not sell you a rifle over the counter.

You must ship it to a Hawaii FFL.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

robtmc

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »
Not firearms related, but if you are addicted to GOOD Mexican food,  get your fill at a multitude of spots around there. 

Wife and I did when visiting a brother in Tucson.  About the only thing that made the miserable flight worth it.

sa594

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 07:54:04 PM »
Big Sandy Shoot in a couple of weeks

Sodie

Re: Anything worthwhile checking out in Phoenix?
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 08:19:29 PM »
You are wrong.


Because Hawaii requires you to obtain a permit to acquire, they will not sell you a rifle over the counter.

You must ship it to a Hawaii FFL.

Just want to make sure I understand what you're saying...  Hawaii law applies to an FFL holder that lives in a different state?