Looking for local gunsmith (Read 6149 times)

mauiboi9

Looking for local gunsmith
« on: December 22, 2015, 09:00:43 PM »
Hi, im wondering if anyone recommends any local gunsmiths before i decide to ship my rifle to the mainland. I have a tikka t3 lite stainless. I want to get the barrel threaded and install a micro bastard muzzle break. From my knowledge the break i want comes in one bore size only .250. Then the break has to be timed. https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/micro-bastard/
lmk thanks.
Im a recoil junkie

808Hunta

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »
Howzit MB,

Wayne at Pacific Custom Rifles can thread and time your brake for you. He's located here on Oahu so you may have to ship it here if you're on Maui.  I have quite a few of Jered's brake's and they work great! if you are one to not care to much for nice flowing lines he offer's brake's that you can time yourself.  Only thing is that it uses a jamnut style setup so it isn't nice and blended with the barrel like his Gen 1 brake's.  also .250 is a std offering and can be opened up to .338 but you will need to specify this when ordering.  You must also mic your barrel and see what threads you can have done. Hope this helps and you are getting a great product I have quite a few of his rifles and products and dont hesitate to recommend them.

Aloha!

mauiboi9

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 12:58:14 AM »
Howzit MB,

Wayne at Pacific Custom Rifles can thread and time your brake for you. He's located here on Oahu so you may have to ship it here if you're on Maui.  I have quite a few of Jered's brake's and they work great! if you are one to not care to much for nice flowing lines he offer's brake's that you can time yourself.  Only thing is that it uses a jamnut style setup so it isn't nice and blended with the barrel like his Gen 1 brake's.  also .250 is a std offering and can be opened up to .338 but you will need to specify this when ordering.  You must also mic your barrel and see what threads you can have done. Hope this helps and you are getting a great product I have quite a few of his rifles and products and dont hesitate to recommend them.

Aloha!

I come to oahu often. Im there either every week or every other so getting the rifle down there isnt a problem. I like the look of the gen 1 better then the gen 2. When it says shipped in the white what does that mean exactly? I ordered a stainless rifle just to have it match the break pictured on their site. So would wayne have to open the break to 338 or does APA do this? I seen a video on youtube and this break sounds wicked lol.
Im a recoil junkie

Inspector

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:23:17 AM »
That was impressive!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

808Hunta

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »
I come to oahu often. Im there either every week or every other so getting the rifle down there isnt a problem. I like the look of the gen 1 better then the gen 2. When it says shipped in the white what does that mean exactly? I ordered a stainless rifle just to have it match the break pictured on their site. So would wayne have to open the break to 338 or does APA do this? I seen a video on youtube and this break sounds wicked lol.

Thats good then if you come here often you can setup a mtg with Wayne etc.  Yeah most people prefer the Gen 1 style for a dedicated rifle have one on a 7 wsm. I have multiple rifles in the same calibers so I got a few Gen 2's so I can interchange them when I'm switching rifles i.e. from a 6.5x284 to a 260 to a 6.5x47 Lapua etc.  In the white means it isnt coated and for the caliber you just let APA know what you want so if you have a 300 win mag you would request it for a 30 cal and so on.

Yes, his brakes is very effective and efficient actually if you look up the PRS Series they have an awesome test that they did for muzzlebrakes.

Hope this helps, Aloha!

mauiboi9

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 12:14:04 PM »
Thats good then if you come here often you can setup a mtg with Wayne etc.  Yeah most people prefer the Gen 1 style for a dedicated rifle have one on a 7 wsm. I have multiple rifles in the same calibers so I got a few Gen 2's so I can interchange them when I'm switching rifles i.e. from a 6.5x284 to a 260 to a 6.5x47 Lapua etc.  In the white means it isnt coated and for the caliber you just let APA know what you want so if you have a 300 win mag you would request it for a 30 cal and so on.

Yes, his brakes is very effective and efficient actually if you look up the PRS Series they have an awesome test that they did for muzzlebrakes.

Hope this helps, Aloha!

Thank you for all the info. Greatly appreciated.
Im a recoil junkie

mauiboi9

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
Oh BTW are those brakes really that loud? Idk if in the video the spot they are shooting at is semi enclosed? Or the video doesn't do it justice? Or it's just that loud?
Im a recoil junkie

808Hunta

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
No problem glad to help!  Heres a link you can check out and read its not the micro but it has the fat and little bastard brakes.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

SpeedTek

  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4749
  • Total likes: 126
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 07:31:48 PM »
I have installed many brakes on tikka T3's let me know if you need help.  What caliber?

I index the brake without a jamnut. I slowly machine the rear of the brake until it gets close and then torque it on.

These are brakes I designed for .308" diameter bullets.  Tames a 300 Win Mag like a 556.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:17:49 PM by SpeedTek »
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

808Hunta

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 10:53:18 PM »
300 Win Mag to 556 recoil reduction is a pretty efficient brake being that your design is 5 ports it helps.  The Micro is a 3 port brake and very efficient for its size.  Good to have options that work

mauiboi9

Re: Looking for local gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. MIght hold off on this project because an unexpected deal came up and lost some funding. So the tikka build will be postponed till i recoup some funds.
Im a recoil junkie