What's Your Favorite Beer? (Read 31257 times)

GlockNewb

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »
Kinda fell off of this bandwagon since, but a big fan of Bud Light Platinum in a frozen glass...it adds that extra chill that mutes some of the beer's stronger notes.

I generally hate beer but have been exploring hard apple ciders as of recent.


Stella Artois Cidrè and Smith & Forge Hard Cider are two solid dry-ish choices. The gf swears by Ace's Perry Cider.
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

robtmc

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
Any suggestions on a good brown ale?  Samuel Smith is the only good one I know of.
Cooper from Australia made a a great brown ale, used to be hard to find.  Not seen it in decades, so that info is likely useless.

You know about Sam Smith and Newcastle.  Sierra makes a brown ale, cannot recall the name, do not see it in stores all that often.

eyeeatingfish

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
Kinda fell off of this bandwagon since, but a big fan of Bud Light Platinum in a frozen glass...it adds that extra chill that mutes some of the beer's stronger notes.

Stella Artois Cidrè and Smith & Forge Hard Cider are two solid dry-ish choices. The gf swears by Ace's Perry Cider.

I thought Ace's tasted like water. Very disappointed. Smith and Forge is not bad but it is actually just made by Coors I think. One of the big name beer companies.

Stella Artois is the next one to try. I have found a few large 24 oz size bottles of other smaller brands at Foodland and bought a few of them, just waiting to try them.

Of the mass market brands, Angry Orchard is my favorite. They have a 10% version that is quite tasty too. Costco had it for a little while.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:15:34 AM by eyeeatingfish »

stangzilla

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »
If I had to pick one, it would be Samuel smith organic lager
Also like kona brewery big wave golden ale for every day beer

I just got a 4 pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot ale from tamuras
That was some good stuff. Strong beer and good, hearty taste.
It's a Barley wine style. So it's thick. And has a bitter sweet taste.
If you like a thick strong beer, try Bigfoot ale.

Also like Deschutes mirror pond pale ale

For stout I like Murphys Irish stout.
Has a little sweetness to it.

:shaka:

OpenCarryHawaii

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2016, 10:58:02 PM »
I have to jump on the Sierra Nevada band wagon. They make a variety of good tasting beer. I like the Pale Ale, Torpedo IPA, Ruthless Rye, Hoptimum, Hop Hunter... They make a good Porter and Coffee Stout too. My good friend (Coors Light addict) even likes their Summerfest Lager!  So many beers, so little time.  These beers are higher ABV than your average Bud Light, Miller, Coors, so I try to keep it to one or two at a time. Very flavorful, so they are a treat that way.

I also like trying other small brewery beers too. On a recent trip to San Diego, we went to Ballast Point, Stone and Coronado Brewing companies. We would get a flight of five or six types of beer so we could taste as many as possible. Also went on the Taylor Guitar Factory tour, but that's another story.
In God we trust.
Legalize the Constitution!

Rocky

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2016, 09:29:53 AM »
   "I'm from Milwaukee, and I oughta knooooooow"  ::)
Born, weened and raised on Miller High Life.
I'll drink a Corona with Mexican or as a substitute and Kirin or Sapporo with my sushi.  :P
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
   "I'm from Milwaukee, and I oughta knooooooow"  ::)
Born, weened and raised on Miller High Life.
I'll drink a Corona with Mexican or as a substitute and Kirin or Sapporo with my sushi.  :P
...
So then you are a racially motivated beer drinker?
What, Me Worry?

aieahound

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
That reminds me, I love Sapporo.
Especially with my sushi.

drck1000

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
That reminds me, I love Sapporo.
Especially with my sushi.
Yup.  Japanese beer with sushi.  I like Asahi if available, but whatever.  The old Kona Kai used to bring in the Asahi that was bottled in Japan.  I would swear it was better than the ones bottled in CA, but then after the first few glasses, whatever.   :P

Echigo Koshihikari is also one of my favorites.  Used to be rare, but now seems to be available all over.  Don Quiote has sales often. 

Damn, now I want sushi. . . and beer! 

hvybarrels

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2016, 02:42:17 AM »
Old Rasputin. 9 something percent and black as the finish on my AK. I'd drink it every day, but then I'd have to buy all new surfboards because of the extra weight.


“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

eyeeatingfish

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 02:44:10 AM »
Has anyone tried Raspberry Lambic? That is some good beer. A little pricey though.

drck1000

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »
Had some Lagunitas "lil Sumpin" last night.  Good stuff.  On the stronger side at 7.5%, but smooth.  It's a sweeter ale and good with pupus.  It's a little expensive though.   :(

drck1000

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 08:34:15 AM »
Old Rasputin. 9 something percent and black as the finish on my AK. I'd drink it every day, but then I'd have to buy all new surfboards because of the extra weight.


No joke!  Many years back, I didn't drink for about 4-5 months.  During that time, I was steadily losing weight and it's not like I was dieting or anything like that. 

oldfart

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 08:51:42 AM »
That reminds me, I love Sapporo.
Especially with my sushi.
----------
speaking of sushi and stuff, yesterday I went to Ahi Assasins by Pucks Alley and obtained a rather unusual container of poke.
It was made with fresh ono seasoned like cold-ginger-chicken.
Sadly, I have no beer in the frig right now :'(
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:00:15 AM by oldfart »
What, Me Worry?

macsak

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 09:18:07 AM »
----------
speaking of sushi and stuff, yesterday I went to Ahi Assasins by Pucks Alley and obtained a rather unusual container of poke.
It was made with fresh ono seasoned like cold-ginger-chicken.
Sadly, I have no beer in the frig right now :'(

my friends have been making that cold ginger ono since the mid-90s
not sure where they got the idea from, though

Rocky

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
...
So then you are a racially culinary motivated beer drinker?
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »
Any suggestions on a good brown ale?  Samuel Smith is the only good one I know of.
I saw the Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale at Fujioka's yesterday.  I was tempted, but was heading to a friend's house for drinks and dinner and he doesn't particularly like the darker beers.  Will be sure to try this one soon.  I'm quickly becoming a fan of the Samuel Smith beers.

I've also heard of Swamp Donkey.  I've always wanted to try that one as well. 

oldfart

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 12:55:37 PM »
my friends have been making that cold ginger ono since the mid-90s
...
And yet I have never seen it at those 2a get togethers....whut, holding out on the good stuff? Lol
What, Me Worry?

TastesLikeMetal

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:34 PM »
Outside of homebrew, the most commonly found in stores and bars in Hawaii is Newcastle and I do drink it.  Other good brown ales that I like, no particular order,
Petes Wicked
Old Brown Dog
Ellies
Indian Brown

Thanks, Newcastle is not what it used to be.  I'll try some of these this weekend if Tamura's has them :thumbsup:

z06psi

Re: What's Your Favorite Beer?
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2016, 09:39:25 PM »
Favorites?

Pipeline in the winter and Taddy Castle in the summer.

You should not be able to see light through your beer and it should be chewy.