Old Motorcycle (Read 4426 times)

hvybarrels

Old Motorcycle
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:39:35 AM »
A couple of years ago I got this 1980's Honda 750 for free on Craigslist. Brought it home, paid the back registration, cleaned up the carbs and got it running ok but when I started riding it around noticed that it constantly pulled to one side. Long story short I  did a bunch of measuring and figured out the frame is bent so I put the plates in storage and it's been sitting ever since. Not sure what to do with it now, as I'm already $500 in the hole and don't want to make it worse. TLC stopped accepting bikes and I was considering cutting it up and trying to get some cash for the scrap metal, but not sure how that works.

In a perfect world I'd take it apart and try straightening the frame myself with a torch and an couple bottle jacks, but that has the potential to become a huge waste of time and more importantly I don't want to be tripping over bike bits in my tiny garage when there are more important things to attend do. Not sure if I can get anything for it on Craigslist and nobody wants to take it as a donation.

Any suggestions?
“A Communist system can be recognized by the fact that it spares the criminals and criminalizes the political opponent.”   -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

edster48

Re: Old Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 05:21:37 AM »
That's too bad, those older 750's are starting to become collectible if they're in good shape. I used to have one.

Wish I had kept it sometimes, along with the 550/4 and 400/4 I used to have. Classics.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

Inspector

Re: Old Motorcycle
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:54:28 AM »
A couple of years ago I got this 1980's Honda 750 for free on Craigslist. Brought it home, paid the back registration, cleaned up the carbs and got it running ok but when I started riding it around noticed that it constantly pulled to one side. Long story short I  did a bunch of measuring and figured out the frame is bent so I put the plates in storage and it's been sitting ever since. Not sure what to do with it now, as I'm already $500 in the hole and don't want to make it worse. TLC stopped accepting bikes and I was considering cutting it up and trying to get some cash for the scrap metal, but not sure how that works.

In a perfect world I'd take it apart and try straightening the frame myself with a torch and an couple bottle jacks, but that has the potential to become a huge waste of time and more importantly I don't want to be tripping over bike bits in my tiny garage when there are more important things to attend do. Not sure if I can get anything for it on Craigslist and nobody wants to take it as a donation.

Any suggestions?
If I were still in my 20's or 30's I would take it on as a project. Now, I would sell it as is. It would be too big a project for me to take on. I am sure you could easily get $200 or $300 and be done with it. JMHO
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

bass monkey

Re: Old Motorcycle
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 10:49:08 AM »
Too bad you didn't post this earlier this week, I would have jumped on it.
You trying to sell it or give it away?  Ill take it.

robtmc

Re: Old Motorcycle
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
Back in the day when we would test our stock class road racing bikes out at Willow Springs racetrack in SoCal, we would see some crazy go-karts.  Powered by all manner of motorcycle engines.  If you are handy with fabrication, maybe build a radical go-kart?

All_rice

Re: Old Motorcycle
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 01:03:11 AM »
Are you positive the frame is bent?  A lot of people are making cafe racers out of those bikes, so there is a market for them.
Land of the free, because of the Brave!

Heavies

Re: Old Motorcycle
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:22:07 AM »
I've been working on a 1981 CB900 as a cafe for a while now. Looks like it'll be a while since I have ZERO extra time.  LOL.