Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines (Read 10930 times)

Tom_G

Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:46:01 PM »
Aloha all!

So, as an avid M1 carbine enthusiast, needless to say I have numerous magazines lying around of the 15 round variety.  I've blocked them to 10 rounds by the inelegant method of shoving a chunk of wood under the floorplate.  What I'd really like, tho, is to make a new follower, one that takes up 5 rounds' worth of space, and has a bolt hold-open notch as well.  I figure to survive any length of time, it needs to be metal, but I imagine aluminum would do.

Anyone here have the tools and skills to make this idea a reality?  We could probably sell enough of them to offset the time and materials involved.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Pit808

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
Is it official that m1 carbine mags fall into the 10 rd rule? I thought it fell into the same grey area as ar and ak mags?
chitty chitty bang bang.......

Tom_G

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »
There is a manufactured version of the M1 carbine in pistol form.  I've shot one before at Kokohead, so there's at least 1 on the island.  Not much grey about that. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Pit808

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
That sux. But there has got to be at least one ar or ak pistol on island too right? Maybe not.....
chitty chitty bang bang.......

Dregs

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »
The old man, who's been here for 30 odd years, tells me he's had friend that took him out into the rainforest to shoot full-autos, bazookas, carried grenades, etc. Although I take this with a big grain of salt, under the possibility that it isn't a tall tale (he's retired military and a farm boy, so not prone to get excited and overexaggerate about guns), I imagine there's gotta be an AK or AR pistol somewhere on the islands.

jc2721

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »
There is an AR pistol registered with PD here in Honolulu--a guy I know (who shall remain anonymous) built one years ago on an AR receiver and registered it as a pistol before the "assault pistol" ban.  He's grandfathered in, but can't sell the piece to anyone in HI.

On the subject of carbine mags, you could do what the local gunsmiths do, which is to drill the body and put in a pop rivet.  Or, just go to Security Equipment and buy a 10 rounder for $10.

GZire

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »
The old man, who's been here for 30 odd years, tells me he's had friend that took him out into the rainforest to shoot full-autos, bazookas, carried grenades, etc. Although I take this with a big grain of salt, under the possibility that it isn't a tall tale (he's retired military and a farm boy, so not prone to get excited and overexaggerate about guns), I imagine there's gotta be an AK or AR pistol somewhere on the islands.

I've seen at least three AR pistols at the silhouette range at Kokohead.  One looked to be the standard break it down to reload it (so no removeable magazine), the others I'm not so sure of.  One guy was trying awful hard to make sure he was at the end of the line and only shooting it when no one was really paying attention.  The second I started to glance in his direction, the gun was down behind a bag.

Kingkeoni

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
The old man, who's been here for 30 odd years, tells me he's had friend that took him out into the rainforest to shoot full-autos, bazookas, carried grenades, etc. Although I take this with a big grain of salt, under the possibility that it isn't a tall tale (he's retired military and a farm boy, so not prone to get excited and overexaggerate about guns), I imagine there's gotta be an AK or AR pistol somewhere on the islands.

I've seen at least three AR pistols at the silhouette range at Kokohead.  One looked to be the standard break it down to reload it (so no removeable magazine), the others I'm not so sure of.  One guy was trying awful hard to make sure he was at the end of the line and only shooting it when no one was really paying attention.  The second I started to glance in his direction, the gun was down behind a bag.

Snitch  :rofl:
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Tom_G

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
On the subject of carbine mags, you could do what the local gunsmiths do, which is to drill the body and put in a pop rivet.  Or, just go to Security Equipment and buy a 10 rounder for $10.

That's really missing the point.  What I want is to use the magazine which the gun was designed to use.  I want to do so in a manner that won't get me arrested.  And I want the modification to be reversible.  The law is vague on the subject of what constitutes "easily reversible," but case law suggests that having to disassemble the magazine means it isn't easy. 

Besides, everyone knows that only genuine USGI magazines will function properly in a US battle carbine!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Pit808

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:47:10 PM »
 
Besides, everyone knows that only genuine USGI magazines will function properly in a US battle carbine!
[/quote]

+1
I have used 10rd mags that functioned (and many that have sucked) but I wouldn't trust my life on em.  I can't see drilling/riveting mags that are pretty much collectors items either.  Must be another way....
chitty chitty bang bang.......

GZire

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »
The old man, who's been here for 30 odd years, tells me he's had friend that took him out into the rainforest to shoot full-autos, bazookas, carried grenades, etc. Although I take this with a big grain of salt, under the possibility that it isn't a tall tale (he's retired military and a farm boy, so not prone to get excited and overexaggerate about guns), I imagine there's gotta be an AK or AR pistol somewhere on the islands.

I've seen at least three AR pistols at the silhouette range at Kokohead.  One looked to be the standard break it down to reload it (so no removeable magazine), the others I'm not so sure of.  One guy was trying awful hard to make sure he was at the end of the line and only shooting it when no one was really paying attention.  The second I started to glance in his direction, the gun was down behind a bag.

Snitch  :rofl:

Only if you are Bag Man that was hiding his stuff.  If Bag Man had invited me to check his stuff out, I wouldn't have said anything because I'm sure it was all perfectly legal.......

Cpt.Englehorn

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »
some people measure and cut plexiglass and use that as a block, it meets the standard of not readily restorable, as it would require disassembly to remove, using something like a screw put in a hole drilled in the back probably wouldnt meet the standard. with the plexiglass you dont have to cut or bend your spring or screw with the follower.
High Ho Lock and Load, The Engines are Runnin We're Ready to Roll.......

Tom_G

Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »
some people measure and cut plexiglass and use that as a block, it meets the standard of not readily restorable, as it would require disassembly to remove, using something like a screw put in a hole drilled in the back probably wouldnt meet the standard. with the plexiglass you dont have to cut or bend your spring or screw with the follower.

That's what I've got going now, only with wood instead of plexiglass.  However, the "replace the follower" idea came to be because I would like my carbine mags to hold the bolt open after the last round.  That happens on the 30 round mags, but not on the 15 rounders.  The difference?  The follower.  So it seemed like a way to kill 2 birds with 1 piece of aluminum.  Or steel.  Or some hyper-strong plastic. 

But, since no one has jumped up and shouted "Hey!  I have a mill, and some scrap aluminum, and would just LOVE to spend a weekend working this up with you!" I guess I'll have to put this on top of the "get around to it" pile for now.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

SpeedTek

  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4749
  • Total likes: 126
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Want to make plug/follower for M1 carbine magazines
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »
wrong post.....
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!