My Oh, $h!t moment today... (Read 4016 times)

monster796

My Oh, $h!t moment today...
« on: May 16, 2016, 04:27:37 PM »
Okay, just received new handguards in the mail for my AR15... Installed them went to put one in the chamber (Condition 1) like how I always keep her and I notice the round ejected (now sitting in the magazine ready to be reloaded) has a depress! Consistent with that of the firing pin! I am afraid to reload that round or any other round for that matter, The weapon was kept on safe and locked inside of my safe... The only thing I can think of is a defect with my BCG. Any thing like this experienced before? Recommendations on what to do? It is a DPMS panther AR15, I purchased new in 2008. Thanks!

WTF?Shane

Re: My Oh, $h!t moment today...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »
That doesn't sound very safe. You should get it checked out by a competent gunsmith.  :thumbsup:

asinapple8805

Re: My Oh, $h!t moment today...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 04:44:51 PM »
that's normal.  That's just how ARs are with their floating firing pins.

monster796

Re: My Oh, $h!t moment today...
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 04:46:57 PM »
Awesome! I appreciate the feedback!

zippz

Re: My Oh, $h!t moment today...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:16:13 PM »
Almost all AR15's do that.  You have to rotate your rounds once in a while as the primer can get damaged and possibly fire.  I haven't heard of it happening to anyone, but I wouldn't want to find out.

Teichi

Re: My Oh, $h!t moment today...
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
I had a slam fire when I used Federal small rifle match primers. They are much too sensitive for semi autos with floating firing pins. That was 10 points I lost at 600 yards.

robtmc

Re: My Oh, $h!t moment today...
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »
Okay, just received new handguards in the mail for my AR15... Installed them went to put one in the chamber (Condition 1) like how I always keep her and I notice the round ejected (now sitting in the magazine ready to be reloaded) has a depress! Consistent with that of the firing pin! I am afraid to reload that round or any other round for that matter,
Did you  think this had something to do with a new handguard? 

This post confuses me.................