Poll

Without researching or phoning a friend, based solely on your memory: Who was John Wayne Gacy?

A democratic candidate for Congress in 1982.
The "Killer Clown," a serial killer and rapist who performed community service as a clown.
Second baseman for the New York yankees who was injured and benched before their victory in the 1962 world series.
A recurring tertiary character in the television series "MacGyver."
The real name of a Hollywood legend known for his tough guy persona.

Esoteric Poll #1 (Read 7784 times)

Tom_G

Esoteric Poll #1
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:21:51 PM »
It's relevant in a way that just doesn't matter.  At least, it just doesn't matter to you.  It's moderately significant to me!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

eyeeatingfish

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Not totally positive but I think I know, now to research if I am right! I won't say though, so as not to spoil your poll.

So how is it relevant?

Tom_G

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:37:53 PM »
It's the basis for a joke in a web series I'm working on.  So far, I think it's the most esoteric joke of the series, and I'm curious how many people will get it.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:21 PM »
Not totally positive but I think I know, now to research if I am right! I won't say though, so as not to spoil your poll.

So how is it relevant?

I think you could really use one of these ....   :rofl:

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

dustoff003

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 03:00:03 AM »
Sounds familiar from my youth or before my time without researching, SPOILER ALERT!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:09:21 AM by macsak »

oldfart

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 05:31:30 AM »
It's relevant in a way that just doesn't matter.
...
Good one.
Too many mint juleps last night?
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »
It's the basis for a joke in a web series I'm working on.  So far, I think it's the most esoteric joke of the series, and I'm curious how many people will get it.
Looks like there are quite a few esoteric folks here. . .  :thumbsup:

Rocky

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
Can't see how this could be tied to humor.  ???
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

dustoff003

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
Sounds familiar from my youth or before my time without researching, SPOILER ALERT!
Why for the edit? I just researched and I was right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macsak

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
Why for the edit? I just researched and I was right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because you invalidate the poll by giving out the answer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtmc

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 05:47:40 PM »
Made my choice, then verified it .

passivekinetic

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 05:51:54 PM »
Hey when are we going to get results of this poll?

I don't mean the poll itself.

I want to know what this poll is supposed to help generate.

Seems kinda screwed up so far if it's for humor! Just saying (and I'm not the only one saying LOL).
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

dustoff003

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 06:56:57 PM »
Because you invalidate the poll by giving out the answer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I only indicated what I picked and why I didn't know the answer until researched it later. Not your poll.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom_G

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 01:06:33 PM »
Can't see how this could be tied to humor.  ???

Your lack of imagination isn't part of the poll, just your knowledge of history.   :geekdanc:

I want to know what this poll is supposed to help generate.

Data. 
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

passivekinetic

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 01:09:56 PM »
Yes I know that dude! Data!

What is the data for?!

Can you not let us in on the joke?

Or is that the joke? On us? LOL
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Tom_G

Re: Esoteric Poll #1
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »
Yes I know that dude! Data!

What is the data for?!

Can you not let us in on the joke?

Or is that the joke? On us? LOL

Well, the good news is that nearly 90% of the people here, and over 80% of the people on another forum where I'm running the same poll, would "get" a joke that required knowledge of who John Wayne Gacy is.  And there is such a joke in the pilot episode.  As far as letting you in on the joke, you'll just have to wait until we publish the pilot.  Right now, we're holding while a composer works on an original score.  As soon as that's delivered, I'll share the link!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.