ATF reclassifying smokeless powder? (Read 4711 times)

ren

ATF reclassifying smokeless powder?
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
I've been reading about this over on nationalmatch.us
Not sure what it means but it may point to more stringent (costly) supply chains.

ATF was recently asked about the status of nitrocellulose under the Federal explosives laws and regulations. “Nitrocellulose explosive” is on ATF’s List of Explosive Materials. ATF has determined that nitrocellulose containing greater than 12.6 percent nitrogen is a high explosive under 27 CFR, Part 555 (nitrocellulose containing 12.6 percent or less nitrogen is generally not an explosive material under Part 555). Therefore, it must be stored in a type 1 or type 2 magazine. We are aware that the U.S. Department of Transportation may assign a nonexplosive classification to nitrocellulose when it has been wetted with water or alcohol. This is based, in part, on the diminished likelihood of explosion in a transportation accident. Because the nitrocellulose retains its explosive characteristics when the water or alcohol is removed, the wetted nitro cellulose remains a nitrocellulose explosive, subject to the licensing, safety and security requirements of the Federal explosives regulations. However, based upon the diminished likelihood of wetted nitrocellulose exploding, ATF will consider variance requests to store the wetted material under an alternative arrangement.

Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: ATF reclassifying smokeless powder?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »
So we will have to soak our powder in alcohol, ship it, then put it in an oven to dry it out before reloading.
 :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?

whynow?

Re: ATF reclassifying smokeless powder?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »
What powder, they all got deleted by wiping with a cloth, same as any future banned items. 

Big All

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
  • Total likes: 16
  • Liberalism is a Mental Disorder!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ATF reclassifying smokeless powder?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:16:27 AM »
Another way Obama is trying to do an end run around the 2nd amendment? Remember the green tip ammo ban? Same thing different color. Smells the same to me.

I hope all of you reloaders have all the powder you need for a few years. And I hope everyone here has hoarded enough ammo to last you a few years. It may be a rough ride if this does to ammo sales what I think it may.
I hate Hillary.

FBI

Re: ATF reclassifying smokeless powder?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 12:42:17 PM »
I've been reading about this over on nationalmatch.us
Not sure what it means but it may point to more stringent (costly) supply chains.

ATF was recently asked about the status of nitrocellulose under the Federal explosives laws and regulations. “Nitrocellulose explosive” is on ATF’s List of Explosive Materials. ATF has determined that nitrocellulose containing greater than 12.6 percent nitrogen is a high explosive under 27 CFR, Part 555 (nitrocellulose containing 12.6 percent or less nitrogen is generally not an explosive material under Part 555). Therefore, it must be stored in a type 1 or type 2 magazine. We are aware that the U.S. Department of Transportation may assign a nonexplosive classification to nitrocellulose when it has been wetted with water or alcohol. This is based, in part, on the diminished likelihood of explosion in a transportation accident. Because the nitrocellulose retains its explosive characteristics when the water or alcohol is removed, the wetted nitro cellulose remains a nitrocellulose explosive, subject to the licensing, safety and security requirements of the Federal explosives regulations. However, based upon the diminished likelihood of wetted nitrocellulose exploding, ATF will consider variance requests to store the wetted material under an alternative arrangement.

I spend a lot of time on sites far more political than this one( I'm always getting warned here), But ATF may have
stopped the enforcement of the new rule, certainly will be taken to court,  and will lose like they have before,
when they act outside the law.  Take this as a warning, if you play ball with people that have no moral ethics they will
hurt you,  you will be disarmed and end up in a mass grave, underneath a public outhouse.

Big All

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
  • Total likes: 16
  • Liberalism is a Mental Disorder!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ATF reclassifying smokeless powder?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »
I spend a lot of time on sites far more political than this one( I'm always getting warned here), But ATF may have
stopped the enforcement of the new rule, certainly will be taken to court,  and will lose like they have before,
when they act outside the law.  Take this as a warning, if you play ball with people that have no moral ethics they will
hurt you,  you will be disarmed and end up in a mass grave, underneath a public outhouse.
I certainly hope you are correct about this. As while it may temporarily slow or stop the flow of powder and ammo it will most certainly increase the price of these items tremendously. I don't know about the rest of you but another large increase in ammo prices might prevent one from practicing as much as one can. Or worse make items scarce to the point where some may have to do without.

Why are you always getting warned here?
I hate Hillary.

FBI

Re: ATF reclassifying smokeless powder?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »
I certainly hope you are correct about this. As while it may temporarily slow or stop the flow of powder and ammo it will most certainly increase the price of these items tremendously. I don't know about the rest of you but another large increase in ammo prices might prevent one from practicing as much as one can. Or worse make items scarce to the point where some may have to do without.

Why are you always getting warned here?


"Why are you always getting warned here?"
I despise Democrats and sometimes, I am not as politically correct
as you should be in a forum such as this.  In other words
I show disrespect towards my superiors, such as the HPD.
I'm not a "go along to get along" sort of  citizen of Hawaii.
I like this site for the local contacts (Big Island for me) and to see
and understand the pain the rest of my fellow citizens go through
just to exercise their God given and constitutional  rights.

ren

Re: ATF reclassifying smokeless powder?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 06:59:30 PM »
I spoke to the ATF chief and demanded an answer...
 :thumbsup:


thank me laters :shaka:

Power to the people yo! O0
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:07:22 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words