Split unit AC (Read 9223 times)

whynow?

Split unit AC
« on: September 11, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »
I'm in the market to get couple split unit AC's for my home.   Anybody have preferences between Mitsubishi and Fujitsu?   Also what ac contractors do you recommend for installation, price and service?  I'm thinking of getting a quote from Air Masters and looking for another company to compare.
Mahalo.

ren

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 08:35:33 PM »
in the market too :shaka:
Thinking about just going with a through wall
Deeds Not Words

Jl808

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 08:42:56 PM »
Me three.  But still on research stage.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

suka

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 09:10:51 PM »
We have installed ,fixed and replaced about 15-20 split AC units between our place of business,  rental apt. and home.

They all break, leak freon, or become problematic.

We have learn just to get what is on sale and replace the unit in a few years. nominally 4-6 years.

Only 2 units have lasted for more than 20 years (Daikin) but the unit and remote looks so outdated (1980/90 design).
another Daikin unit , the compressor died right after the warrantied 7 years.

s15project

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »
Not sure if they're still manufactured the same or all units are like this but when we moved into our office the existing fujitsu unit installed in 2008 needs to be dismounted from the wall to service and clean the coils.  The 2 Mitsubishi units in the other sections of the office do not need to be dismounted for service.  They can hook up a bag and wash the coils and fan blades with the unit mounted.  If paying for service instead of doing it yourself it takes the techs the same amount of time to service both Mitsubishi units as the one Fujitsu.

We've had good service from Quality Air Conditioning and Nu Era Air Conditioning.  We just go with whoever has the soonest appointment available when we need service.

whynow?

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »
So far researching Mitsubishi Diamond contractor listings, Air Source A/C seems to have the best reviews.   Apparently the Diamond label means more mfg. training and longer warranty periods.
Shobu AC also has good reviews but my be more for commercial than residential.  My wife's family were neighbors with the Shobus so may give them a call.
Air Masters uses more Fujitsu units and also installs Mitsubishi but not a Diamond contractor as I can tell.  A window unit is acting up and is 4 yrs. old and still under warranty but the earliest appointment is 2 weeks from now.   Figure once that's fixed, will get the split units and keep the window ones for backup.

suka

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »
AC units are relatively easy to fix, but sometimes not worth the time or money.

common problems are:

if its not cold but cool, its low on freon (nominally 134a) if the unit is less than 10 years old.
if no click the relay is stuck or capacitor is dead  (cheap fix)
if it clicks and nothing happens the compressor is dead.


I do have the HVAC meter,  gauges and 20lbs of 410 freon handy

whynow?

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 10:18:04 PM »
AC units are relatively easy to fix, but sometimes not worth the time or money.

common problems are:

if its not cold but cool, its low on freon (nominally 134a) if the unit is less than 10 years old.
if no click the relay is stuck or capacitor is dead  (cheap fix)
if it clicks and nothing happens the compressor is dead.


I do have the HVAC meter,  gauges and 20lbs of 410 freon handy

Maybe  a switch or sensor.   If you start in cool mode the compressor don't start, if you start in fan mode first then switch to cool, the compressor starts and the air is cold.  After about 5 min. the compressor shuts off and does not cycle on again once the temp rises.
My unit is still under warranty to fix or replace till December.
Suka thanks for the advise and offer.

whynow?

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 10:26:15 PM »
Forgot to add this issue happened last Sunday after Hurricane Lester winds.   Because of the dirt/powdery substance on the units vents and my carpet below the unit, I think dirt got into the system from outside.   Next storm with high winds, I will cover the A/C exterior.

Big All

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
  • Total likes: 16
  • Liberalism is a Mental Disorder!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »
Please keep us updated with your research as I am also looking to have a split unit installed and came up with the same results you have regarding Mitsubishi and Fujitsu.
I hate Hillary.

robtmc

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »
I do have the HVAC meter,  gauges and 20lbs of 410 freon handy
That Freon must be worth some $ by now.

To the OP, we had two Fujitsu Halcyon units installed last winter, with ceiling discharge, one of them feeding two rooms with independent controls.  We really only use the bedroom A/C when it gets too hot to sleep comfortably with the ceiling fan.  We do not try and cool the whole house, just the individual rooms as needed. 

Installer is on the BI, so no use to you.  Great work, but the country permit inspection circus was the biggest farce I have seen.  No wonder so many say to hell with getting a permit.  Our HOA demanded it unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:14:28 PM by robtmc »

drck1000

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 03:34:39 PM »
I went with American Air Conditioning for my through wall A/C.  They've also done a number of split A/C installations in my building as well.  In my research leading up to going with them, they generally do good work, but scheduling may be a challenge and getting quotes, follow-up information, etc.  If you end up going with them, just have to be patient. 

whynow?

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 08:02:28 PM »
Called Air Source AC today and was told they're not giving estimates now since they're booked into Dec.   Will call 2 other Mits. Diamond Contractors tomorrow but get the feeling this might be the wrong time.  Maybe Jan-Feb might be better for homeowners.   Most of these Diamond contractors also do commercial and with the construction boom on Oahu, things might be tight for us homeowners.
Plan b is to call smaller companies that might not be Diamond rated but still carry Mits. or look into Fujitsu.   However I rather have Mits.
Thinking of getting a 18K btu for the living room and 10-12K for the main bedroom.   With the 18K it's probably another 220 line and not sure if my home can handle.  A deciding factor for me is looking at yelp ratings, BBB and state RICO complaint history.

whynow?

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
Called 2 other Diamond contractors and one will have the estimator contact me in a week.  The other, the estimator is busy and they requested pics of the area and dimensions so he can get an idea before coming out.
I've decided if they can't support this year, I'll wait till winter.  Didn't realize split unit AC was so popular.

omnigun

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 10:48:48 PM »
I use wall AC's easy to clean, cheap and work room for room. 

ren

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 11:17:21 PM »
estimate for in wall AC? any quotes? Ball park figure
Deeds Not Words

ren

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
I have an estimator from Affordable Home AC coming in the next week I couldn't find any online reviews or presence other than their website. Owner is Brian Borges. Anybody with experience with this company feel free to post or IM.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 03:14:18 PM »
estimate for in wall AC? any quotes? Ball park figure
Are you looking at "through wall" AC or window unit?  What BTU?

I went with 12,000 BTU and my unit ran about $800 for the "through wall" unit plus $300 install.  If I had been able to wait for Home Depot to bring one in, I could've saved about $100-200 or so. 

One thing that I learned the hard way is that for many AC units, you have to order them in the spring and summer time if they aren't readily available on-island.  You can fine window units in stock everywhere, but not so for the through wall units.  For those, if you wait too long, apparently they stop producing them in the late fall and winter time since no demand on the mainland (where they are produced).  My unit failed around last October and was only able to get a new one installed around April. 

I found out later that a friend who works for a company that installs commercial AC probably could've found a unit for me.  And for quite a bit cheaper, but that would've involved pulling of strings and calling in favors type of deals. 

ren

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »
Are you looking at "through wall" AC or window unit?  What BTU?

I went with 12,000 BTU and my unit ran about $800 for the "through wall" unit plus $300 install.  If I had been able to wait for Home Depot to bring one in, I could've saved about $100-200 or so. 

One thing that I learned the hard way is that for many AC units, you have to order them in the spring and summer time if they aren't readily available on-island.  You can fine window units in stock everywhere, but not so for the through wall units.  For those, if you wait too long, apparently they stop producing them in the late fall and winter time since no demand on the mainland (where they are produced).  My unit failed around last October and was only able to get a new one installed around April. 

I found out later that a friend who works for a company that installs commercial AC probably could've found a unit for me.  And for quite a bit cheaper, but that would've involved pulling of strings and calling in favors type of deals.

through the wall. They will need to make the cut and frame the unit. Estimating a 5000 BTU for a small bedroom and a larger ? for the master.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

Re: Split unit AC
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »
through the wall. They will need to make the cut and frame the unit. Estimating a 5000 BTU for a small bedroom and a larger ? for the master.
5000 is pretty small. I think my old unit was 8000 and it died after 7 years. Based on room size, 8000 should have been enough. My bldg manager recommended going up at least one step. That way, low setting is good for majority of the time and the really hot days you can use the med and even high. So far, I'm finding that to be true. Will have to wait and see about longer term. Makes sense tho. The unit doesn't have to work on med or high just to maintain temps.

You will likely need to factor in the cost for the wall sleeve too. Prob about 70-150 ish more. I already have the sleeve installed.