It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem (Read 19446 times)

eyeeatingfish

It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« on: September 17, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/seattle-high-school-football-team-kneels-in-unison-during-national-anthem/ar-BBwhabe?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Quote
Seattle’s Garfield High School football players and staff took a knee in unison during the national anthem Friday.


Agree or disagree it is catching on.

I am wondering if a distinction should be made between kneeling and sitting?

macsak

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:51:25 PM »
Frick
My dad went to Gar


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ren

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »
In Navy Times there was a report on a sailor that sat.
Deeds Not Words

PeaShooter

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 02:58:02 PM »
Seems dangerous for a military guy. No court martial?

Quote
I am wondering if a distinction should be made between kneeling and sitting?
Or the fist raising thing.

Come to think of it, aren't the fans supposed to stand as well during these things? Any fights break out with spectators who sit?

raddoxx

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »
making a political statement out of something that should be for entertainment.  :crazy:

Heavies

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
Well good. Rome fell when the masses were preoccupied by "the games"

Maybe people will stop watching the show, and start paying attention to things that matter.

ren

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
Seems dangerous for a military guy. No court martial?
Or the fist raising thing.

Come to think of it, aren't the fans supposed to stand as well during these things? Any fights break out with spectators who sit?

for a civilian I understand.
I see your bait PeaShooter and I took it off your hook.
If you are a soldier in my ranks I won't let that happen without any consequences. There's UCMJ that overrides an INDIVIDUAL's rights.
Deeds Not Words

whynow?

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 06:17:39 PM »
If athletes refuse to stand, they should be brought out after the National Anthem is played.   The cancer is spreading. 

eyeeatingfish

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »
making a political statement out of something that should be for entertainment.  :crazy:

It might be their only avenue to raise the issue they are concerned about where someone would actually see what they are standing (or sitting) for.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:30:51 PM by eyeeatingfish »

eyeeatingfish

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 10:30:03 PM »
If athletes refuse to stand, they should be brought out after the National Anthem is played.   The cancer is spreading.

Would be difficult to control since one could not say for certain whether a player would stand or not. If he wanted to make a statement, he would make sure he made it out there.


I brought up kneeling because I thought it might be seen differently than just sitting. Kneeling can be a sign of many things, respect, humility, submit, yield, etc.

If you thought there were something seriously wrong in the government to the point that it was very corrupt, people were being denied justice, rights were falling left and right, etc., how would you protest that? What I am getting at is, at what point do you (or anyone else) stop paying allegiance to the flag of our country?

Heavies

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »
Would be difficult to control since one could not say for certain whether a player would stand or not. If he wanted to make a statement, he would make sure he made it out there.


I brought up kneeling because I thought it might be seen differently than just sitting. Kneeling can be a sign of many things, respect, humility, submit, yield, etc.

If you thought there were something seriously wrong in the government to the point that it was very corrupt, people were being denied justice, rights were falling left and right, etc., how would you protest that? What I am getting at is, at what point do you (or anyone else) stop paying allegiance to the flag of our country?

Problem is they are not protesting the "government" by doing this bull crap.  They are disrespecting America as a whole.

The concept of United States of America is "of the people, by the people, for the people" the anthem represents that in my eyes. So to me they disrespect us all, including themselves.   

I know there is argument against my opinion, but it is what it is.

PeaShooter

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 11:07:36 AM »
Hmm, so are you saying that if someone says "I hate America because <blahblah> reasons" in a TV interview, you would feel differently? Or perhaps they would have to use the word "government" as you did to be forgiven?

Quote
making a political statement out of something that should be for entertainment
They could just remove the anthem from the events entirely, if it is purely for entertainment.

ren

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
Hmm, so are you saying that if someone says "I hate America because <blahblah> reasons" in a TV interview, you would feel differently? Or perhaps they would have to use the word "government" as you did to be forgiven?
They could just remove the anthem from the events entirely, if it is purely for entertainment.

They could also remove the American flag from all their jerseys, merchandise and commercials.
Deeds Not Words

eyeeatingfish

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 08:17:30 PM »
Problem is they are not protesting the "government" by doing this bull crap.  They are disrespecting America as a whole.

The concept of United States of America is "of the people, by the people, for the people" the anthem represents that in my eyes. So to me they disrespect us all, including themselves.   

I know there is argument against my opinion, but it is what it is.

But is there a line, that if crossed, you would no longer respect the flag or it's anthem?

America can be seen many ways, by its government, by its constitution, by its people, etc. It is difficult because the flag, as a symbol, seems inseparable from the government. So how do you protest the government without disrespecting the flag?

What if someone flew the flag upside down? I see a number of Hawaiian groups that have chosen to do that with the Hawaiian flag and I don't think they mean any disrespect for the people but as a sign of distress for its people.

ren

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 09:17:52 PM »
But is there a line, that if crossed, you would no longer respect the flag or it's anthem?

America can be seen many ways, by its government, by its constitution, by its people, etc. It is difficult because the flag, as a symbol, seems inseparable from the government. So how do you protest the government without disrespecting the flag?

What if someone flew the flag upside down? I see a number of Hawaiian groups that have chosen to do that with the Hawaiian flag and I don't think they mean any disrespect for the people but as a sign of distress for its people.

The logical thing to do if I no longer respect the flag is for me to move to another country.
What makes this country great is believing in it.
Some people don't realize how comfortable they are. I remember when TV remotes were an optional accessory and air conditioning was a luxury. People protest but offer no solution to their own ills. BLM movement's pattern of behavior is disruption and widespread civil disobedience. It's comfortable for wealthy artists to give them a platform but when riots and looting happen in their own environment you think they'd still want to support this movement?
I don't know what specific path they are paving.
Deeds Not Words

PeaShooter

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 10:54:04 PM »
I totally agree with your views on Black Lives Matter...

Quote
The logical thing to do if I no longer respect the flag is for me to move to another country.
What makes this country great is believing in it.
Some people don't realize how comfortable they are.
...but these particular things are what the governments of countries like North Korea and China say.

Heavies

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 11:01:17 PM »
But is there a line, that if crossed, you would no longer respect the flag or it's anthem?

America can be seen many ways, by its government, by its constitution, by its people, etc. It is difficult because the flag, as a symbol, seems inseparable from the government. So how do you protest the government without disrespecting the flag?

What if someone flew the flag upside down? I see a number of Hawaiian groups that have chosen to do that with the Hawaiian flag and I don't think they mean any disrespect for the people but as a sign of distress for its people.
I would never lose respect for the flag nor the anthem. Because what I explained that represents The People not the government. At times the government does not do for the people what it should be. Therefore I can lose respect for the government, at the same time NEVER lose respect for those who have sacrificed so much to give us what we enjoy today.

To me, these folks are not doing this for some kind of greater good, they are self centered folks that believe they are entitled to something or another.

If they see America as the government they are ignorant.

Like I said they not only disrespect everyone, they disrespect themselves.

eyeeatingfish

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 01:06:16 AM »
I would never lose respect for the flag nor the anthem. Because what I explained that represents The People not the government. At times the government does not do for the people what it should be. Therefore I can lose respect for the government, at the same time NEVER lose respect for those who have sacrificed so much to give us what we enjoy today.

To me, these folks are not doing this for some kind of greater good, they are self centered folks that believe they are entitled to something or another.

If they see America as the government they are ignorant.

Like I said they not only disrespect everyone, they disrespect themselves.

I guess I see it a little different. I think they, some of the people sitting during the anthem, have good intentions but laid on a faulty foundation.

Not the best analogy but similarly dividing was what Snowden did. Was the patriotic thing to do what he did or was that treason? 

Built on a lie as it may be, I think a lot of them genuinely believe there is this great injustice occurring and they are making a public statement the only way they might get attention. So I just think they are misguided, unfortunately divisively so. I wonder if they don't see the flag as a symbol of the people but rather the government? But I am really just speculating here. I am sure motivations run the gambit from sincere to selfish.

I guess they could think of a different way of protesting the government without offending it's people. I don't know what would get as much attention though. I am sort of getting into the philosophical side here  or patriotism, identity and symbolism. 

Kuleana

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »
I would never lose respect for the flag nor the anthem. Because what I explained that represents The People not the government. At times the government does not do for the people what it should be. Therefore I can lose respect for the government, at the same time NEVER lose respect for those who have sacrificed so much to give us what we enjoy today.

The only group that Americans can say unequivocally "sacrificed so much to give what American's enjoy today" were the founding fathers of the US and aside from Washington and a few others, most of them were civilians who risked all their personal wealth to become TRAITORS to the Empire of Great Britain to create their own country.

Don't forget prior to declaring their independence, they used all inappropriate and politically incorrect means in both the public and private arenas to show their displeasure and contempt with their own country at that time.

Furthermore, America's military should be given their necessary due, but remember, it is always the civilian authority (i.e., those elected to represent the PEOPLE) that calls them to action, whether that action was justified or illegal.

 

To me, these folks are not doing this for some kind of greater good, they are self centered folks that believe they are entitled to something or another.

Ironically, many colonists in New England must of shared this same view when the American revolutionary separatist MINORITY were spewing their displeasure with Great Britain at that time.

I guess the Founding Fathers believed they were ENTITLED to those rights and privileges that eventually became the the US Constitution and Bill of Rights and believed going to war with their own countrymen was the only way to achieve them.

What were those ungrateful American born British citizens thinking?  Don't they know HOW GOOD THEY HAVE IT being subjects of the MIGHTY BRITISH EMPIRE?     :wtf:


If they see America as the government they are ignorant.

I am sure that the misguided British citizens Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, etc. must of been very ignorant too as they viewed Great Britain as merely an extension of King George III and his parliament.


Like I said they not only disrespect everyone, they disrespect themselves.

In the case of the Founding Fathers of America, I do not think they cared.


Kuleana
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:24:54 AM by Kuleana »

dustoff003

Re: It's spreading. Entire Team Kneels During National Anthem
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
Why do you type in bold inside someone else's quote?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk