OMG an Osprey flew over Kaimuki!!! (Read 1731 times)

ren

OMG an Osprey flew over Kaimuki!!!
« on: November 23, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »
http://khon2.com/2016/11/22/osprey-spotted-flying-in-kaimuki/
Paul Klink:
That's my image (the second one that they zoom into with the streetlight and overhead wires) and I can tell you it was more than startling being buzzed by this Osprey. I was one of the first on scene at Bellows in Waimanalo when the last Osprey crashed with casualties. That's why I was shocked they would fly them over highly populated areas and directly over schools? Seemed like it would have been just as easy to fly over the ocean where they could mitigate liabilities for pilot, crew and ground population.


Fascinating that a person is an SME over witnessing ONE accident with that aircraft.
I've seen many helis fly over Honolulu: MD500s, Bluestar Tour helis (yeah those have crashed a few times). Flew in a Blackhawk and CH47 over Honolulu a few times.
No aircraft is 100% safe. Heck, Ewa Beach is directly under an approach flight path for HNL airport.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

Re: OMG an Osprey flew over Kaimuki!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
A good friend lives near St. Louis and we'll see Army helos fly over in the evenings every so often.  Apparently it's pretty common.  I think my buddy mentioned it's a common flight path for them. 

Tough to tell how low the 22 was flying in the video, but it did look pretty low and I would think unusual. But yeah, Paul Klink must have slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.   ;D

whynow?

Re: OMG an Osprey flew over Kaimuki!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:05:21 PM »
My first thought reading the title was an Osprey bird sighted (LOL).   Few years ago saw what appeared to be a statue standing at waters edge in Ala Wai canal.  Turns out it was some type of gray colored heron I've never seen before.  Across the canal another heron was looking across.  Later saw the same type of heron looking at fisherman at the entrance of Magic Island.  One of my hobbies before was shorecasting/slide bait so spent a lot of time by the water and never seen a heron on this island before.   Dunno if they're common at Kbay or Kawainui Marsh.

Anyway, that Osprey sure looks low in the photo.  Good thing it didn't cause a crash since people driving fast at that area.