Holster recomendations (Read 12879 times)

London808

Holster recomendations
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:47:33 PM »
What are you recommendations, Share your rig pics.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

stangzilla

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:46:35 PM »
Blackhawk serpa. OWB.  comes with paddle and belt loops
smooth draw and reholster.  good retention.



safariland ALS.  similar to the serpa, good retention, but instead of index finger lock, it uses a thumb lock.  paddle and belt loops included
just as smooth to draw and reholster as the serpa

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:43:36 PM by stangzilla »

oldfart

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:16:13 PM »
What are you recommendations, Share your rig pics.
...
Depends what you trying to do and what gun.
What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »
I have a bianchi pancake holster I really like.

I also had the 5.11 serpa I liked but I lost it.

I have been looking at this company but hesitant to buy it without seeing it. Security said they might bring it in.
https://urbancarryholsters.com/size?gclid=CjwKEAiAqJjDBRCG5KK6hq_juDwSJABRm03hSRwPmcZJtAa3RU3b66xkIbaYtzQRUi4WieslVXjOZBoChpXw_wcB

macsak

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:26:38 PM »
Blackhawk serpa. OWB.  comes with paddle and belt loops
smooth draw and reholster.  good retention.

safariland GLS.  similar to the serpa, good retention, but instead of index finger lock, it uses a thumb lock.  paddle and belt loops included
just as smooth to draw and reholster as the serpa


many classes discourage and even disallow the use of SERPA holsters
you have to keep your finger straight to activate the unlock button, if you hook your finger and put inward pressure on the button, as you withdraw the firearm, your finger hooks towards the trigger
do not laugh, google it, it is not uncommon

i have one safariland ALS (cheap on amazon, and mine has a suede like material inside too) for one firearm, and have custom holsters for the rest

zippz

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:58:19 PM »
I use the standard bladetech kydex holsters which are fairly cheap and works well.  I used plastic fobus holsters at the beginning since they were cheap, but id stay away from them unless you're on a very tight budget.

whynow?

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »
First pic are Milt Sparks BN55 holsters.
2nd pic are Bravo Concealment kydex holsters.
3rd pic is Safariland ALS holster.
Will send the pics in another reply, tech difficulties on my part.

Bushido

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:28:34 PM »
Blackhawk serpa. OWB.  comes with paddle and belt loops
smooth draw and reholster.  good retention.



What is the Stainless 1911? if you don't mind me asking

whynow?

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »
First pic are Milt Sparks BN55 holsters.
2nd pic are Bravo Concealment kydex holsters.
3rd pic is Safariland ALS holster.
Will send the pics in another reply, tech difficulties on my part.

whynow?

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »
3rd time the charm hopefully.
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/wn008/media/P1000244_zpsmzorajvr.jpg.html?filters[user]=143093770&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/wn008/media/P1000247_zpsgujff5cj.jpg.html?filters[user]=143093770&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/wn008/media/P1000245_zpscjgp7tny.jpg.html?filters[user]=143093770&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

whynow?

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »
3rd time the charm hopefully.
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/wn008/media/P1000244_zpsmzorajvr.jpg.html?filters[user]=143093770&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/wn008/media/P1000247_zpsgujff5cj.jpg.html?filters[user]=143093770&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/wn008/media/P1000245_zpscjgp7tny.jpg.html?filters[user]=143093770&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3
I give up on the pics already!  Anyways the type you want depends on your intended use.

macsak

Wake27

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 10:31:57 PM »
many classes discourage and even disallow the use of SERPA holsters
you have to keep your finger straight to activate the unlock button, if you hook your finger and put inward pressure on the button, as you withdraw the firearm, your finger hooks towards the trigger
do not laugh, google it, it is not uncommon

i have one safariland ALS (cheap on amazon, and mine has a suede like material inside too) for one firearm, and have custom holsters for the rest

This. Stay away from SERPAs. Technically it is a training issue, but the design almost enables you to have an ND. It has happened more than enough. Also, they're locking systems have gotten jammed more than other retention holsters. Safariland models can be had for $30-40 on Amazon for common pistols. Suede interior, superior everything. There is no reason whatsoever to go with a Serpa. I have transitioned entirely to Safariland for overt and Raven Concealment for covert use holsters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSN172

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 10:45:51 PM »
I disabled the retention lock on my Serpa.  Didn't like the lock the first time I used it.  Front Sight does not allow the use of Serpa holsters, but they let me use mine since the lock was disabled.  I think it is a great OWB holster if you disable the lock.
Happily living in Puna

dustoff003

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
many classes discourage and even disallow the use of SERPA holsters

Does the HDF disallow the use of SERPA holsters?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stangzilla

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 11:33:52 PM »
What is the Stainless 1911? if you don't mind me asking

Ruger SR1911 CMD

I prefer the safari land over the serpa
With the serpa you must press and push with the index finger to make sure you're off the trigger with your finger
With practice, it's fine. But I can see how it can be a safety issue.
I like on the safari land how the release is on the thumb, other models can use the middle finger, but I prefer the thumb

macsak

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 11:34:45 PM »
Does the HDF disallow the use of SERPA holsters?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

previously, the were not , but they were discouraged
not sure what the policy is now, but i believe the ladies day they were disallowed
i'll ask again tomorrow

changemyoil66

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 01:05:56 PM »


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

zippz

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
I used the Serpa's in the Army, and it was a good holster back then.  They were convenient to use and had good retention that was easy to release.  Two problems I see is they aren't as durable, they tend to break because they are made of plain plastic and a weak mounting system.  I don't see the finger release as a problem.  If you have a finger problem then you shouldn't be drawing from any holster.  However there are better holsters with active retention nowadays (ie Safariland).

I would recommend not disabling the retention lever on the Serpa.  Holster will have no retention and the gun can easily bounce out of the holster.

Heavies

Re: Holster recomendations
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »