Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people (Read 3977 times)

ren

Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
because some are caught up being a spectator than being a person of action.
at the guy filming a fire on his phone instead of evac or helping put the fire out

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/34321715/shoppers-evacuated-after-fire-breaks-out-at-mililani-walmart
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »
because some are caught up being a spectator than being a person of action.
at the guy filming a fire on his phone instead of evac or helping put the fire out

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/34321715/shoppers-evacuated-after-fire-breaks-out-at-mililani-walmart

I was wondering about all those firetruck sirens last night. 
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

drck1000

Re: Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »
Or the thinking that someone else will take action, or a "why should I get involved" attitude.

A few days ago, I was headed back to my car after getting my hair cut.  I was actually planning on heading to the hospital to visit my dad who has been hospitalized for the past almost two weeks, as in I definitely had somewhere to be.  Anyways, a lady in her car at the intersection I was crossing looks at me and points out that a woman was lying there on the sidewalk and that she was going to come back around and assist.  Anyways, as I make my way in the direction the lady indicated, I see a younger guy/kid on his phone, walk up to the person, look at her and then make his way toward where I am at.  He approaches me and asks if I was going to call 911.  Well, why didn't you call 911? Sigh.  There were also a few others at the intersection, all looking at each other in a "what shall we do" kind of look.  At least I didn't notice anyone on their phone videoing it. 

The lady was unresponsive.  Eyes half open and just lying there on the side walk and breathing heavily.  No response to anything verbal and I see what I thought was blood on her teeth.  I call 911 and while I am figuring out how to describe there we were to EMS, the lady sort slowly gets up and staggers away.  EMS says that at that point, they can't do anything.  A lady who owned a shop nearby came out and asked what had happened and after that, we lost track of the woman that had been on the ground. 

whynow?

Re: Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
The above reasons why 2A doesn't resonate with some are true.  All I know for me, I grew up in a time when westerns were big on TV and movies.   When men were like those on the screen wearing guns.  Some men good and some bad, as in life. 

oldfart

Re: Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »
I think people wo are raised in an urban environment are less likely to be interested in guns.
What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

Re: Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:16:15 AM »
because some are caught up being a spectator than being a person of action.
at the guy filming a fire on his phone instead of evac or helping put the fire out

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/34321715/shoppers-evacuated-after-fire-breaks-out-at-mililani-walmart

Maybe they are a journalist?
Maybe they told him to stay back?

You touch on a deeper topic of what the human brain does in reaction to certain events. Some freeze and watch, some flee, some try to help.

I don't think this is that great a parallel to the second amendment.
Many don't follow politics and many don't care. This is true about any number of issues, it is often small portions of the population that bring about changes.

stangzilla

Re: Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »
ignorance

drck1000

Re: Why the 2A doesn't resonate with some people
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:44:39 AM »
ignorance
That and misinformation.

Seems like many anti-gun or even neutral people are easily swayed by the emotionally based stuff spewed by anti-gun folks.  In many cases, that "information" is at minimum largely exaggerated to even decidedly false and against proven statistics.  Seems like anti-gun folks can spew all sorts of BS and people (anti-gun and neutral) eat it right up.  When a pro-gun person/organization tries to counter, they are all of a sudden held to a high standard of proving facts. 

For example, anti-gun people often bring up Australia as a model for why gun confiscation "works".  They quote data that appear to show gun deaths are down.  Depending on what data you find, that may have been true at first.  Why?  Well, because less guns. Then other data shows that gun deaths weren't zero and were actually rising for a while.  Then to me, the key data was that violent crime overall was on a steady rise after gun confiscation.  Home break-ins, assaults, etc.  Try to bring that data up with an anti-gunner, they'll write it off as skewed or false data, even if the data was gathered by various neutral parties.