They want a solution to speeding (Read 17818 times)

ren

They want a solution to speeding
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/35369529/man-26-dies-after-crashing-into-parked-vehicle-in-nanakuli

is it me but I think the answer is to not speed, drink and drive...follow the laws etc.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/35369529/man-26-dies-after-crashing-into-parked-vehicle-in-nanakuli

is it me but I think the answer is to not speed, drink and drive...follow the laws etc.

We have a populace with the attitude "It's not illegal unless you get caught."  We need to instill integrity in children so they grow up knowing it's cool to do the right thing.

Integrity is doing what you know you should even when no one is looking.

People seem to have a situational ethics mentality, as was demonstrated in another thread.  Hard to explain ethics and good citizenship to someone who was taught "ME! ME! ME!"
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

rklapp

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:36:38 PM »
It took months until the Nanakuli children (and some parents) stopped stealing the specially made pedestrian crossing flags along Farrington. I told the organizer that they shoulda started with a crosswalk safety campaign in the schools first. They musta gone through 1,000 flags until people finally realized they weren't for private use.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

suka

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:38:33 PM »
Every time I'm on the freeway there is a backlog of traffic behind me for about 1/2 mile; and a lot of pissed off people.

Thats because I set my cruise control to the exact speed limit.

suka

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »
Lifted truck were never meant nor designed to be driven faster than 35mph......... idiots
If you can't cut a corner at 25mph you can't  do it at 55mph.

oldfart

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »
No doubt the driver was wrong.
But it also sounds like the state or city should have put in traffic calming solutions too.
Is it a coincidence that traffic calming devices are found mostly in upper middle class communities?

I love my dashcams. So many bad drivers out there.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:11:20 PM »
No doubt the driver was wrong.
But it also sounds like the state or city should have put in traffic calming solutions too.
Is it a coincidence that traffic calming devices are found mostly in upper middle class communities?

I love my dashcams. So many bad drivers out there.

I don't know.  Is it because traffic calming devices get vandalized and stolen in lower class communities more often?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

rklapp

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:10:01 AM »
Every time I'm on the freeway there is a backlog of traffic behind me for about 1/2 mile; and a lot of pissed off people.

Thats because I set my cruise control to the exact speed limit.
So that was you!!! (Kidding)

I see this posted on Stolen Stuff all the time. People believe the left lane is only for people who are speeding way over the limit. Technically, is meant for those passing while traveling the speed limit, not over. In fact when passing on a two lane road, you're still not allowed to go over the speed limit.

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

oldfart

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:15:05 AM »
I don't know.  Is it because traffic calming devices get vandalized and stolen in lower class communities more often?
.....
I was referring to road features like roundabouts, narrowed sections, speed bumps or humps.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 12:22:53 AM »
.....
I was referring to road features like roundabouts, narrowed sections, speed bumps or humps.

Plenty of humps in the low-rent districts ....

... if your standards aren't too high!   :rofl:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

oldfart

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 12:33:45 AM »
Plenty of humps in the low-rent districts ....

... if your standards aren't too high!   :rofl:
...
Personal experience? :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 12:46:16 AM »
...
Personal experience? :rofl:

I'm a documentarian at heart!   :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Inspector

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 05:46:18 AM »
Pervert at heart.  :love: :love: :love:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Inspector

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 05:48:42 AM »
In my immediate neighborhood we have a 5mph sign. Most do about 10-15mph through the neighborhood. There have been complaints of 25-30mph lately. Are people just in more of a hurry these days?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 06:34:37 AM »
In my immediate neighborhood we have a 5mph sign. Most do about 10-15mph through the neighborhood. There have been complaints of 25-30mph lately. Are people just in more of a hurry these days?
...
I just got back from town and was thinking the exact same thing. Lots of people speeding and weaving at way over the speed limit.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 07:38:19 AM »
I see we have a couple of "it's ok to drive slow in the left lane" folks here. . . :facepalm: 

ren

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 07:50:42 AM »
No doubt the driver was wrong.
But it also sounds like the state or city should have put in traffic calming solutions too.
Is it a coincidence that traffic calming devices are found mostly in upper middle class communities?

I love my dashcams. So many bad drivers out there.

State passed laws for people to obey. If the people dont obey its a societal enforcement issues. Pono. Simple.
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
Since we're on the subject of speeding....
At 530am, I drive the 2-lane zipper from Waikele to the airport. What's the speed limit? 45?

I do 55-60 in the right lane because people in the left lane are passing me like I'm standing still.
Those fast movers don't realize that an emergency situation at that speed in that concrete corridor leaves ZERO room to maneuver.
Guaranteed multi-car pile up.

I would venture a bet that a lot of those cars with the dark tinted windows in the zip are single driver cheaters.
Where's a thermal imager when you need it?

---end of rant---
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
In my immediate neighborhood we have a 5mph sign. Most do about 10-15mph through the neighborhood. There have been complaints of 25-30mph lately. Are people just in more of a hurry these days?
It is almost impossible to drive 5mph in an automobile.  15 mph is an extremely reasonable residential neighborhood speed.  I was driving my diesel truck towing my chipper in Waialae Iki one day at 20 mph (25 mph posted limit) when a woman in a group of 5 adults on the sidewalk yelled at me to slow down.  I stopped and yelled back, "I am driving 5 mph below the speed limit with no kids on the road, don't tell me to slow down idiot."  They all looked stunned and didn't say anything.  I am a very cautious driver and have been in only one accident since 1976 and that was because a driver ran a red light and hit me.  No tickets since 1986 which was for driving 35 in a 25 mph in Wahiawa.
Happily living in Puna

rklapp

Re: They want a solution to speeding
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 11:31:58 AM »
I see we have a couple of "it's ok to drive slow in the left lane" folks here. . . :facepalm:
I'm actually surprised. There's a difference between driving slow in the left lane and driving at the speed limit to pass cars. When I mention this on SSH, I get several angry replies that they are driving their own car and paying their own insurance so how they drive on the highway is none of my business. That's true until they drive by me weaving in and out of traffic going 70. Ever notice it's about $100 fine for not wearing your seat belt and about $1000 fine for littering. Why is that? (rhetorical question)
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/