Think .380 Auto is an acceptable self defense caliber? Think again.... (Read 5225 times)

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Everything Around a Pigs Ass is Pork
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
.22 is the caliber "hit men" prefer (quieter and the bullet becomes deformed on impact, making it difficult for ballistic matching).
.22 is the most popular caliber for plinking, target practice, young shooters, etc due to price, noise and manageability.  That changed somewhat during Obama's tenure as .22 was difficult to find.  Some upgraded to 9mm just to have ammo to practice with.
.22 is among the "Saturday Night Special" calibers (.22, .25, .32).  Lots of little derringers and pocket guns are carried and concealed illegally.
.22 is not taken as seriously as other weapons by many.

As you mentioned, suicides also skew the caliber stats, since a .22 is going to be more common, more accessible, less messy and more familiar.

I'd really like to know how many actual DGU incidents include what caliber handguns.  People without a gun will usually back down when facing a gun -- any gun.  So, even a .22 can defuse an attack without facing the question on effectiveness.

Unfortunately, since most DGUs are unreported, we'll probably never see those stats.
Flapp, doing this from memory and I don't have time to Google anything right now. Just catching up as I brought my wife home from the hospital Thursday evening.

I remember reading that the .22 cartridge (LR and Mag, they never mentioned short and long) is the most popular cartridge in the U.S. I think they based it on sales. But over in Europe it is not as popular. It is not to say that it isn't popular over there. Rather we Americans shoot more .22 than any other cartridge (stats based on sales). I don't remember what the popular cartridge is over in Europe as they have different limitations on guns and cartridges in different countries that civilians can shoot.
Retirement Plans in the Works!!!

oldfart

As I read some of the comment I wonder how many in Hawaii have really carried a gun, outsides there bed room. I'm not a local guy but have lived here a while.
 I have carried a loaded gun 24/7. I have fired 10. of thousands of rounds of ammo.

If you buy a 380 and try shooting it at 25 yrds a good shooter will keep them on the target, Most people will never hit the target.,
But again the 380 is not a 25 yrd gun. It is a self defense gun 5-7-15 yards. with lots of practice.

If your shot with a 32,380.22mag at 15 yrd you will feel the pain. Will some one fall dead like in the movies, probably not, I have alway's told my customers and students After you shoot, there still might be a fight, But they will know some one fire a gun at them, and if hit they will know it.,
 its not like the movies or game boy. Most 380 are small pocket guns easy to carry while wearing short,

I managed a gun store, we had 2000+ guns in the shop. I could carry and did carry lots of different guns over the 15 year I was there. In the winter of fall with a coat on it was easier. When I carried in the summer. Like Hawaii  I carried a Kel Tec 32 with a 10rd mag.
Oooooooh No a 32acp At 10 yrds I could put all 10 rds on a pop can top., 10 rds in your head your dead... I had 1 malfunction with over 700 rds thru this gun.
These are close range in your face self defense guns. 380 has ample power. If your going to war fighting for your life. Carrie a bigger gun.

If you thing your going to be shooting across a room or parking lot You better get a lawyer you'll need 1. The gun is for self protection

Read what you want, in the real world books just tell you someone option, just like I just did. Been there done that,If your  not going to war, just carrying for self protection. 32,380, 22mag will work. Its better than a stick
=============
nobody carries here unless they are LEO.
That would be illegal.
What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

You all can argue with me on this but I feel the .22 Magnum is a better self defense round than the .380. Is it acceptable? Not in my opinion. But if you have someone who is recoil adverse, why not get them a .22 magnum which has better stopping power and about the same or less recoil.

Personally, I feel the 9mm and .38 SPL are a minimum for self defense. But as a backup to your main defense weapon, a .22 magnum is a better choice over a .380 IMHO.

Interesting. I did read an article about .22mag and you need a certain barrel length to get up enough velocity for the bullet to expand. In a 1" barrel the bullet didn't mushroom but once you got to a 1.75 inch barrel it started to mushroom. As the barrel got longer the mushroom improved. Not sure how the .380 compares in terms of mushrooming on a short barrel but something to think about. Not a lot of 22mag options out their either. I keep looking at getting the Ruger LCR in 22 mag.

I can see the 22 mag being easier to shoot as well.

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Everything Around a Pigs Ass is Pork
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
Interesting. I did read an article about .22mag and you need a certain barrel length to get up enough velocity for the bullet to expand. In a 1" barrel the bullet didn't mushroom but once you got to a 1.75 inch barrel it started to mushroom. As the barrel got longer the mushroom improved. Not sure how the .380 compares in terms of mushrooming on a short barrel but something to think about. Not a lot of 22mag options out their either. I keep looking at getting the Ruger LCR in 22 mag.

I can see the 22 mag being easier to shoot as well.
From what I have read Hornady is making a good .22 Mag self defense round. Well, about as good as a .22 Mag can be. I would think the LCR in .22 Mag would make a great backup gun to your main self defense gun or a house gun when shared between two people and one person might be adverse to recoil. I think revolvers and people who are not strong with their hands such as older people and maybe small statue women would benefit greatly from the LCR in .22 Mag.
Retirement Plans in the Works!!!

Pit808

I think the 380 with the right load is adequate IMO.  I won't say its the best, but its where I wound up when choosing my caliber, comfort level and concealability.  I only carry mine with XTP's as they are easily found on the shelf here in UT and are one of the few loads with adequate penetration and have some expansion.  My daily carry is either a LCP or a LCP II because they are small, light, and I litteraly forget they are there in my kydex AIWB by concealment express. 

Glock 29 in a Hill Peoples Gear Snubby when hiking tho  :thumbsup:
chitty chitty bang bang.......

zippz

There are a couple ways to look at the effectiveness of 380auto.  It's very effective when used against normal criminals...robbers, rapists, etc, probably close to 100% that you'll defend against an attack with the pistol.  Normal criminals will run when faced with a gun, even if they have a gun, or it'll buy you time to get away yourself.

Against determined criminals like terrorists, vengeful spouses, exemployees going postal, crazy people, druggies, and other criminals that may not run...380auto has a low probability of bringing them down.  But that's true of most defensive pistol calibers like 9mm and 40SW.  You'll need a rifle or shotgun to have a high probability of bringing a criminal like that down.  Hit placement is key with a handgun and that requires a lot of training that majority of gun owners don't have.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu