Camping Supply story on Oahu? (Read 12245 times)

eyeeatingfish

Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »
I am in the market to put together a camping set but now that sports authority closed down I don't really know where to go to get camping supplies. The gun stores have a few items but not really tents, sleeping bags, mess kits, etc. Am I missing something or are we out of luck for a good camping store?

Inspector

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
I am in the market to put together a camping set but now that sports authority closed down I don't really know where to go to get camping supplies. The gun stores have a few items but not really tents, sleeping bags, mess kits, etc. Am I missing something or are we out of luck for a good camping store?
It used to be many years ago that Sears was a good place to get camping gear. I am not sure about that any more. But it might be worth a look if you are in the area.

Also, try North Face in Ala Moana.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:57:57 AM »
Sleeping bags locally? Maybe North Face (like Inspector said) or Patagonia.  Not going to be cheap, but will be excellent quality. 

I know Don Quiote and Walmart has some camping stuff, but probably quite in expensive stuff.  Maybe on par with what Sports Authority used to carry. 

That's something I miss about living in WA.  Stores like REI and other outdoor activity type shops. 

zippz

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »
Costco has some tents and a few things..  Military exchanges have a good selection of stuff.

rklapp

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
Walmart has an aisle of Coleman stuff.

I was shocked when I walked into the North Face store to see pictures of snow boarders. Who travels to Hawaii to buy a ski jacket for $500? That's gotta fill up half your luggage home.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

eyeeatingfish

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:35:49 PM »
Costco has one coleman tent for sale and one sleeping bag. The tent wasn't quite what I was looking for but the sleeping bag might be an option.

Hadn't thought about walmart though, good suggestion. Windward mall had a camping store but Sports Authority ended up shutting it down. Real shame because they had a lot of high quality options and would have done well in the absence of Sports Authority. \

I was hoping a Dick's or Cabela's would open up here in the absence of sports authority.

rklapp

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
If it wasn't for Costco and Amazon Prime, this island would suck. (Mostly kidding)
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

davgdavg

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
Military exchanges have a good selection of stuff.

Dear lord, I would sooner sew my own stuff than buy military surplus camping equipment, which ime is some of the worst, coldest, heaviest, wettest equipment ever created. Rubber coated canvas that stinks like shit and gets holes if you look at it wrong? No thanks.

Just get it online. Unless you can make it to an REI or BPS or Cabellas, you'll get much better stuff for better prices online.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:09:58 PM »
Dear lord, I would sooner sew my own stuff than buy military surplus camping equipment, which ime is some of the worst, coldest, heaviest, wettest equipment ever created. Rubber coated canvas that stinks like shit and gets holes if you look at it wrong? No thanks.

Just get it online. Unless you can make it to an REI or BPS or Cabellas, you'll get much better stuff for better prices online.

He said exchanges, not surplus.  Like in NEX, AAFES, etc.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Rocky

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:49 AM »
He said exchanges, not surplus.  Like in NEX, AAFES, etc.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Agreed or Amazon.
Just another thought is put up a list of what you want and tap into the plethora of resources you have right here !  :thumbsup:
I have at least 2 of everything (1 is none and 2 is one)
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

macsak

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
I have at least 2 of everything (1 is none and 2 is one)

2 wives?
 :worship:

changemyoil66

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
With the limited selection at Costco and other stores, you're better off ordering online.  Unless you need it asap then you have no choice.

rklapp

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 01:20:43 PM »
Military surplus is awesome (mostly for the historical value).

https://www.keepshooting.com/

Who doesn't need a Soviet era hair clippers???

https://www.keepshooting.com/ussr-army-hair-clippers.html
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

London808

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »
2 wives?
 :worship:


Yeah that's what every guy wants to women bitching at him for not taking out the trash
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Bota-CS1

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 01:46:33 PM »
Sports Auth........nvm. 
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

eyeeatingfish

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 05:02:16 PM »
I just ordered a tent from Amazon,, I guess that will be my new camping store for now.

On the other hand, since costco is one of the few options on island I guess I will be the only guy who doesn't have a costco tent, making my tent easy to find.

dafrtknocker

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »
Just saw commercial on History channel for Patriot Outfitters Wahiawa.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/patriot-outfitters-wahiawa-3

Parent company website
http://www.patriotoutfitters.com/

rklapp

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »
Cool!
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Rocky

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:23 AM »
2 wives?
 :worship:
Well, I do live in Laie.   ::)

Yeah that's what every guy wants to women bitching at him for not taking out the trash
Apparently your not doing something right, my wife takes out the trash.   :thumbsup:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Inspector

Re: Camping Supply story on Oahu?
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »
...my wife takes out the trash.   :thumbsup:
Damn Rocky! That's awesome! How much does that cost you?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!