Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten (Read 15161 times)

ren

Deeds Not Words

rklapp

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
I read somewhere that there are like 6,000 bills introduced into the legislature per year and they vote on like 600. Most of the bills are administrative but there are a few nasty ones that try to sneak through every year. We must be cautious!

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

punaperson

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »


Show me the data, by any measurement criteria (personal individual physical, mental, emotional harm, societal harm via medical costs, lost days working, etc. etc. etc.) comparing 1. looking at electronic devices while in crosswalks, 2. smoking with minors in vehicles, 3. legal alcohol consumption, 4. legal smoking in situations other than with minors in vehicles., 5. consuming a relatively high (saturated) fat, low fiber diet.

Now please tell me how large are we allowed to write the word HYPOCRISY?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely oppose the government involvement in any regulation of personal consumption items until they provably directly effect another person (drunk driver, etc.), but to selectively choose which are to be regulated as crimes, and then choosing those that are by any measure least harmful to be criminalized while leaving those "choices" of massively greater cost as legal... please, it's utterly preposterous.

Inspector

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »
Nanny state. Look for sugary drink cup size and white rice scoop size to be limited. Maybe limit all plate lunches to one scoop rice instead of 2+.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Jl808

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »
City needs to make up for its budget shortfall
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Inspector

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
Now please tell me how large are we allowed to write the word HYPOCRISY?
This large: HYPOCRISY
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

rklapp

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Inspector

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:20:09 AM »
City needs to make up for its budget shortfall
Oh why should they do that? Isn't their goal to turn Honolulu into another Detroit or Chicago?  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

punaperson

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
The Honolulu crosswalk-electronic-devices-looking-criminalization finally makes the national news at Reuters, Forbes, etc.

Note this from the Mayor in the Reuters article:

"We hold the unfortunate distinction of being a major city with more pedestrians being hit in crosswalks, particularly our seniors, than almost any other city in the county," Caldwell said. Honolulu data on distracted-walking incidents was not immediately available.

You'd think for some guy in his position, arguing for the law (and signing it into law), and citing "seniors" in particular as the most endangered, that he'd have at this fingertips how many seniors were injured, and what percentage of those injured seniors were looking at their electronic devices when injured in a crosswalk. I call bullshit! He's making shit up. Or he's defining "senior" as "over 21 years of age". If he had real facts and data he would have said something along the lines of "80% of those people injured in crosswalks are over the age of 65, and 75% of those "seniors" injured were looking at an electronic device at the time they were injured. Seniors, those over the age of 65, are too stupid to apparently realize that looking at their electronic device while crossing the street is dangerous, so we are passing this law to protect them by fining them out of their social security money until the learn their lesson."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hawaii-texting-ban-idUSKBN1AD2LS

Honolulu targets 'smartphone zombies' with crosswalk ban

A ban on pedestrians looking at mobile phones or texting while crossing the street will take effect in Hawaii's largest city in late October, as Honolulu becomes the first major U.S. city to pass legislation aimed at reducing injuries and deaths from "distracted walking."

Rocky

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 08:51:12 AM »


Seniors, those over the age of 65, are too stupid to apparently realize that looking at their do not own or know how to operate electronic device's and if they did, unless they have "issues", are smart enough to not use it  while crossing the street because they know it is dangerous, so we are passing this law to protect them by fining gain further control of  them and swindle them out of their social security money until the learn their lesson. we can pay for rail.


“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

zippz

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »
Do it for the children.  Nah.

Could have been solved with education instead of a law.  There seems to be an overall problem with pedestrians crossing the street and not looking while expecting cars to stop for them.  One of the consequences of passing that older crosswalk law.

oldfart

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
I think the root of the problem is not the pedestrians.  It's the drivers.
Especially drivers who consume too much red bull, monster drinks and starbucks.

It's liquid road rage.

I used to drive morning rush hour from Hawaii Kai. I have never seen so many impatient-executive-Type-A, coffee mugging-BMW driving-speeders and weavers racing into their downtown high rise office cubicles. :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

punaperson

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
Seniors, those over the age of 65, are too stupid to apparently realize that looking at their do not own or know how to operate electronic device's and if they did, unless they have "issues", are smart enough to not use it  while crossing the street because they know it is dangerous, so we are passing this law to protect them by fining gain further control of  them and swindle them out of their social security money until the learn their lesson. we can pay for rail.
Well, I was trying to be "nice". The real, honest and truthful quote from Mayor would be "I'm full of shit, and this "rationalization" and "justification" I'm giving for this new law is just another example of that fact".

zippz

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
I have never seen so many impatient-executive-Type-A, coffee mugging-BMW driving-speeders and weavers racing into their downtown high rise office cubicles. :rofl:

I notice the same thing too.  Everyone is impatient andused to instant gratification nowadays whether its receiving mail, waiting for an email response, driving, etc.  Gotta drive fast and weave around cars to save a couple minutes.

One odd thing I noted is old people tend to drive faster as they age.  My father and uncles drive like maniacs now and are impatient at everything.

ren

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »
I notice the same thing too.  Everyone is impatient andused to instant gratification nowadays whether its receiving mail, waiting for an email response, driving, etc.  Gotta drive fast and weave around cars to save a couple minutes.

One odd thing I noted is old people tend to drive faster as they age.  My father and uncles drive like maniacs now and are impatient at everything.

When your time on Earth is getting short, you don't want to waste it driving behind slow-ass road hogs!   :geekdanc:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

ren

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
When your time on Earth is getting short, you don't want to waste it driving behind slow-ass road hogs!   :geekdanc:

Exactly!. I started to feel the same way when I hit 40 :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »
I notice the same thing too.  Everyone is impatient andused to instant gratification nowadays whether its receiving mail, waiting for an email response, driving, etc.  Gotta drive fast and weave around cars to save a couple minutes.

One odd thing I noted is old people tend to drive faster as they age.  My father and uncles drive like maniacs now and are impatient at everything.
...
I disagree, I see older folks like me driving slower. What I do notice when I see speeders nowadays is that many times they are women drivers. In the past it was young men doing the racing around.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
...
I disagree, I see older folks like me driving slower. What I do notice when I see speeders nowadays is that many times they are women drivers. In the past it was young men doing the racing around.

If you're seeing women where you once saw young men, you might want to get your glasses prescription checked!   :rofl:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

eyeeatingfish

Re: Our whole City is enrolled in kindergarten
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »
I wouldn't want to be the cop who has to write tickets for this BS. I wonder if a constitutionality argument can be made against this law.

Pretty soon we will have to wear helmets whenever we are in public in case we fall.