Tom_G vs momma monk seal (Read 11658 times)

Tom_G

Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
I went down to my regular swimming hole at Kaimana beach (At least I think it's Kaimama beach... it's immediately east of the natatorium). Long story short, I got chased out of the water by an angry momma monk seal.

As many people as were there to watch the seals, surely someone took a video, and surely it will show up on YouTube or social media. If anyone comes across it, let me know!

Longer story follows:
Quote
The first thing I noticed as I walked up to my swimming hole is that there were too many people. Normally at 8am on a weekday, there are fewer than 20 folks there. Today, there were easily over 60, all clustered at the east end of the beach. Next, I noticed warning signs were out, but I was too far away to tell which signs they were. Was it a jellyfish day?

Nope, there was a momma monk seal and her pup on the beach, and they had drawn a crowd. I took note of the roped-off area, and the buoys that had been deployed to indicate where swimming was a bad idea, then went about my business.

My first lap from the seawall to the buoys and back went well, so I decided to make a second. I made it to the buoys and was plodding towards the seawall when I heard whistling and whooping on the beach. I looked up because, although people whistle and whoop all the time, one never knows. I see lots of people waving in my direction, so I look over my shoulder. No one there... they're all waving at me.

"Get out of the water!" drifts across the swells.

Got it. I look behind me, towards the protected area. There's the pup, swimming around, between me and the buoys. Guess he didn't get the memo that he was supposed to stay inside!

I quickly look around for momma. There she is, in front of me.

Shit. I'm between momma and her pup. Ans she's coming my way. She's not charging, but she's not lallygagging either.

I start sidestroking for the beach, keeping my eyes on the approaching momma. I'm not about to try and sprint in because:
1> there's simply no way I'm going to outrun her, and
2> seals are predators. Predators chase things that run.

"Get out of the water!" shrieks some helpful person. Thanks, got that memo, working on it.

I get to within maybe 10 yards of the shore, the water is maybe 4 ft deep, and she's only 10 ft away, closing fast. Her face is above the water, and she's staring straight at me. I get my feet under me, and begin debating whether presenting my leg or my arm is preferable at this point... I really don't want to be bitten in the abdomen.

"Get out of the water!" Seriously? Do you actually think that hasn't occurred to me at this point?

She swims straight at me, opens her mouth wide, making sure I get a good look at her toothies. If I'd leaned forward, I could easily have put my hand on her, so maybe 4 ft away? 3? I've decided on sacrificing the left arm, and am getting ready...

Then she turned and headed back towards her pup. I abandoned all dignity, and scrambled out of the water as fast as I could, lunging and splashing and flailing. Stood on the beach with the other spectators, watched her swimming away. I said something to the crowd like "Thank you for all the yelling and waving and such!"

I hosed off in the shower, then went to spread my towel and dry off in the sun. One man actually asked me "Didn't you see her swimming out there?" I didn't use either of the first two things that popped into my head since his young grandson was standing there, and settled for "No, if I had seen her, I would have headed in."

People. ::)

Anyway, I've heard the expression of someone's heart being in their throat many times; today was the first time I actually experienced it!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:13:02 AM by Tom_G »
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

rklapp

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »
Glad to hear you made it out in one piece. This is a prime example for the 100 foot rule. Kinda hard to do so when they're swimming at you. I had one swim by me at Sharks Cove. Can't imagine if it decided to go after me.

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

oldfart

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
KHON story from a few days ago.
What, Me Worry?

Tom_G

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »
https://youtu.be/k-1GHwOrGSw?t=8282

I show up on the live stream. At 2:18:17, you see momma and the pup heading out. At 2:18:42, you see me retreating. at 2:19:00, you see Momma following to make sure I am out of the way.

I'm also on there swimming a bit earlier, but it's not terribly compelling.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

oldfart

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »
https://youtu.be/k-1GHwOrGSw?t=8282

I show up on the live stream. At 2:18:17, you see momma and the pup heading out. At 2:18:42, you see me retreating. at 2:19:00, you see Momma following to make sure I am out of the way.

I'm also on there swimming a bit earlier, but it's not terribly compelling.
....
 :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »
Your recount of the "incident" actually had my heart rate up.   ;D  That and  :rofl:

I just with that camera had some audio on it.  I bet someone with video editing skills could add some commentary that would make that minute or so quite entertaining.   ;D

Glad that you're fine.  Seriously though, that could've been baaaad! 

oldfart

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »
Your recount of the "incident" actually had my heart rate up.   ;D  That and  :rofl:

I just with that camera had some audio on it.  I bet someone with video editing skills could add some commentary that would make that minute or so quite entertaining.   ;D

Glad that you're fine.  Seriously though, that could've been baaaad!
============
How about we do a foley session like the old radio baseball games
What, Me Worry?

zippz

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »
Nothing on the news networks yet, I'll check again this evening :D

If not, maybe oldfart can help get you your 15 seconds of fame.

aieahound

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
That story written by Tom is literary genius. IMO.

Without the story the video would NOT tell the tale.
With the story is sure does. It's harrowing.   I enjoyed both thoroughly.
The write up before the video is necessary though.

drck1000

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »
I'm gonna offer Tom use of my GoPro.  Hope it doesn't end up in a momma seal's belly. . .

Tom_G

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 01:53:16 PM »
I'm gonna offer Tom use of my GoPro.  Hope it doesn't end up in a momma seal's belly. . .

GoPro cases are tough. You'd get it back in a day or two!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
GoPro cases are tough. You'd get it back in a day or two!
How sharp are monk seal's teeth?  I dunno.  But I figured you probably got a pretty good look.   ;D

robtmc

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 07:06:18 PM »
Out on Anacapa island off SoCal coast, Sea Lions would occasionally charge us underwater if there was a pregnant female resting nearby.  Lot of displays of teeth as they charged in. then swoop away at the last instant.  Sometimes a bark and bubbles.

Mostly they were curious about divers and just hung around.  Good thing the Lions are big suckers.

Gets your attention, but they never made contact.  The little spotted harbor seals were very shy and sometimes playful.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:02:06 AM by robtmc »

ren

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 07:54:01 PM »
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
We went to see them later in the day but before the little turd crawled into the Natatorium and couldn't get out. Mom was pissed. The NOAA lady said she is the first pup born on the beach in decades and Rocky's tenth pup.

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

davgdavg

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
Out on Anacapa island off SoCal coast, Sea Lions would occasionally charge us underwater if there was a pregnant female resting nearby.  Lot of displays of teeth as they charged in. then swoop away at the last instant.  Sometimes a bark and bubbles.

Mostly they were curious about divers and just hung around.  Good thing the Lions are big suckers.

Gets your attention, but they never made contact.  The little spotted harbor seals were very shy and sometimes playful.

Reminds me in La Jolla one time a friend an I had just finished spearfishing. The surf was light so we came in at Boomer beach. My dumbass friend lost his new Riffe dive float somehow while coming in and didn't realize it until we were on shore. So we scramble up the rocks at Alligator head to see it floating with the current out towards the middle of the Cove. No problem...then we notice what looks like bunches of sea lions out there. Its mating season, but it looks like they are further away than the float. So we do an "Ill go if you do," and jump in, but without guns since we're inside the reserve now.  We made it about 50 yards out and we start to get charged by frankly huge sea lions, males I guess. Turned around and never did see the float again lol.

jonjon

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
Sorry Tom, Awesome story but how's "brigette namata" :love: the KHON reporter in the story Old Fart posted  :thumbsup:

KHON story from a few days ago.

drck1000

Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/HawaiiNewsNow/videos/10155411690095479/

Didn't see TomG though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldfart

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/HawaiiNewsNow/videos/10155411690095479/

Didn't see TomG though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...
Tom found the vid.
See reply 3
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

Re: Tom_G vs momma monk seal
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
...
Tom found the vid.
See reply 3
I meant he wasn't on this particular coverage. . .