Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii (Read 9907 times)

zippz

Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« on: July 31, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
I attended the Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii pistol match this weekend.  CGCH has monthly NRA and CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) pistol matches at Koko Head's bullseye pistol range once a month.  For those that don't know who the CGCH is, they're the guys in the red shirts and fancy gun boxes that take up the half of the pistol range.  CGCH is a NRA affiliate and also one of the three adult CMP clubs on the island.  You can earn your NRA and CMP marksmanship classifications and receive badges and awards for the top finishers.  CMP awards are prestigious for civilian and military shooters as they are very difficult to earn.  You earn CMP points by being the top finishers in local, regional, and national (Camp Perry and military service matches).  Military members can earn their distinguished pistol badge(through civilian and military matches) that can be worn on your service uniforms.

All of the matches are shot one handed and each stage of the match is shot 10 rounds at a time using two five round magazines.  There are 3 basic stages for the match which are repeated.  Slow-fire is done at the 50 yard line shooting 10 rounds in 10 minutes including 1 reload.  Timed-fire is done at the 25 yard line shooting 5 rounds in 20 seconds, cease fire, reload, then fire another set of 5 rounds in 20 seconds.  Rapid-fire is also done at 25 yards shooting 5 rounds in 10 seconds, cease fire, reload, then fire another set of 5 rounds in 10 seconds. 

First match of the day was the NRA 22lr 900agg (90 shots and each shot is scored up to 10 pts).  I used my stock browning buckmark pistol and CCI minimags.  My first 10 shots at 50 yards was decent, but I started to develop a small flinch after that which gave me a bunch of misses.  25 yard timed and rapid fire was okay.  Second match was the CMP EIC rimfire match which was like the previous one, but only 30 shots (50yd slow fire, 25 yard timed & rapid fire).  Lastly was the CMP EIC Service Pistol match which had the same course of fire as the previous match (30 shots), but with centerfire pistols.  I used my Beretta 92F and ended up with more misses than hits.  My scores were pretty bad as I haven't practiced for the match.  I'll do more practice and try again in October.  Everyone was helpful and helped guide me through the match.  You don't have to shoot all of the matches for the day, you can just shoot certain ones if you want.

If you want to try this competition, here are my suggestions:
1. Equipment you'll need
22lr pistol and/or centerfire pistol.
NOTE:  For CMP in past years, only US military pistols were allowed (M9/Beretta 92 and 1911s).  However the rules have changed where other pistols are allowed like Glocks.  Check the CMP rulebook for models of pistols allowed
Iron sights or optics can be used for NRA matches.  Iron sights only for CMP matches.
2 magazines
Chamber flag (plastic thing you stick in the chamber to show pistol is unloaded)
Ammo as required for the match +a little extra if you need to refire a stage.
Spotting scope on a tripod or mounted for hands free use.
Stapler
White pasters or masking tape to patch up your misses ( I used a bit more than the othershooters  :D)
Pen
Cash for match fees
NRA and CMP ID# (if you have one)
NOTE:  target frames and paper targets are provided for the match.

2.  Read the NRA and/or CMP rulebooks for handgun requirements (weight, modifications, trigger weight, etc) and match rules.
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/
http://compete.nra.org/official-nra-rule-books.aspx

3.  Practice
Practice shooting one handed at the 25 and 50 yard lines and also dry practice at home.
Practice shooting within the time limits - Timed fire 5 shots in 20 seconds, Rapid fire 5 shots in 10 seconds.
Ask people for help at the range...the guys with the wood or metal gun boxes with the scopes attached.


Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
They don't have a webpage but you can get their info from the CMP:  https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubDisplay&club=173.
2017 Schedule
(Revised 6/18/2017)
July 30, 2017 (Sun) 0800-1200 hrs.   NRA-Approved 900 (.22); CMP  EIC RF and EIC Svc Pistol Match
Sep 9, 2017 (Sat) 0800-1200 hrs.      NRA-Approved 1800 Match
October 1, 2017 (Sun) 0800-1200 hrs.   Practice Match (NMCx4)
Oct 14-15, 2017 (Sat-Sun) 0800-1500 hrs.   Hawaii State Outdoor Pistol Championship and Dist. Revolver Match (NRA-Registered), CMP EIC Svc Pistol, EIC RF Match   
Nov 19, 2017 (Sun) 0800-1200 hrs.      1800 Thanksgiving Fun Match
Dec 17, 2017 (Sun) 0800-1200 hrs.      NRA-Approved 1800 Match

The match information is posted on the bulletin board at the range.  Or you can email the club for it.


My setup for the day, nothing special.


Had a good turnout with 16 shooters.


My best 50 yard target for the day.  The others will remain hidden.



Danger Close Tactical is in the house.


Top shooters can get awards, pins, and shooting badges from the NRA and CMP.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:41:29 PM by zippz »

Inspector

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »
Being a .22 fanatic, especially .22 target pistol fanatic, I have had numerous conversations with many of the members. They are all good guys. We shared a lot of good information regarding .22 ammo and stocks (grips) for our guns, and tips and tricks.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Bushido

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
Being a .22 fanatic, especially .22 target pistol fanatic, I have had numerous conversations with many of the members. They are all good guys. We shared a lot of good information regarding .22 ammo and stocks (grips) for our guns, and tips and tricks.

I already have the the 22lr rifle sickness. I don't need the pistol sickness too. Plus I don;t think my 22/45, nor I, am worthy.

Inspector

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 04:28:16 AM »
I already have the the 22lr rifle sickness. I don't need the pistol sickness too. Plus I don;t think my 22/45, nor I, am worthy.
With the right ammo I bet the 22/45 can shoot the lights out!!!

I have the perfect solution for you. Quit your job and practice full time.  :shaka: :shaka: :shaka:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

ren

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »
I was surprised that there were few Chinese people in that club....but you dont need to be Chinese. Just wear red in support of the People of the Motherland.
Deeds Not Words

zippz

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »
I was surprised that there were few Chinese people in that club....but you dont need to be Chinese. Just wear red in support of the People of the Motherland.

Maybe it doesn't refer to chinese people, rather guns made in china hence the name Chinese Gun Club.

ren

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:07:14 PM »
Maybe it doesn't refer to chinese people, rather guns made in china hence the name Chinese Gun Club.

sacrilege! 1911s made in China!
Deeds Not Words

zippz

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:35:56 PM »

zippz

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
I already have the the 22lr rifle sickness. I don't need the pistol sickness too. Plus I don;t think my 22/45, nor I, am worthy.

Pistol is fine, just try out the match.  I suck at this one hand precision pistol thing, so I'll be getting more practice in.

WalhkIn

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
I attended the Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii pistol match this weekend.  CGCH has monthly NRA and CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) pistol matches at Koko Head's bullseye pistol range once a month.  For those that don't know who the CGCH is, they're the guys in the red shirts and fancy gun boxes that take up the half of the pistol range.  CGCH is a NRA affiliate and also one of the three adult CMP clubs on the island.  You can earn your NRA and CMP marksmanship classifications and receive badges and awards for the top finishers.  CMP awards are prestigious for civilian and military shooters as they are very difficult to earn.  You earn CMP points by being the top finishers in local, regional, and national (Camp Perry and military service matches).  Military members can earn their distinguished pistol badge(through civilian and military matches) that can be worn on your service uniforms.

All of the matches are shot one handed and each stage of the match is shot 10 rounds at a time using two five round magazines.  There are 3 basic stages for the match which are repeated.  Slow-fire is done at the 50 yard line shooting 10 rounds in 10 minutes including 1 reload.  Timed-fire is done at the 25 yard line shooting 5 rounds in 20 seconds, cease fire, reload, then fire another set of 5 rounds in 20 seconds.  Rapid-fire is also done at 25 yards shooting 5 rounds in 10 seconds, cease fire, reload, then fire another set of 5 rounds in 10 seconds. 

First match of the day was the NRA 22lr 900agg (90 shots and each shot is scored up to 10 pts).  I used my stock browning buckmark pistol and CCI minimags.  My first 10 shots at 50 yards was decent, but I started to develop a small flinch after that which gave me a bunch of misses.  25 yard timed and rapid fire was okay.  Second match was the CMP EIC rimfire match which was like the previous one, but only 30 shots (50yd slow fire, 25 yard timed & rapid fire).  Lastly was the CMP EIC Service Pistol match which had the same course of fire as the previous match (30 shots), but with centerfire pistols.  I used my Beretta 92F and ended up with more misses than hits.  My scores were pretty bad as I haven't practiced for the match.  I'll do more practice and try again in October.  Everyone was helpful and helped guide me through the match.  You don't have to shoot all of the matches for the day, you can just shoot certain ones if you want.

If you want to try this competition, here are my suggestions:
1. Equipment you'll need
22lr pistol and/or centerfire pistol.
NOTE:  For CMP in past years, only US military pistols were allowed (M9/Beretta 92 and 1911s).  However the rules have changed where other pistols are allowed like Glocks.  Check the CMP rulebook for models of pistols allowed
Iron sights or optics can be used for NRA matches.  Iron sights only for CMP matches.
2 magazines
Chamber flag (plastic thing you stick in the chamber to show pistol is unloaded)
Ammo as required for the match +a little extra if you need to refire a stage.
Spotting scope on a tripod or mounted for hands free use.
Stapler
White pasters or masking tape to patch up your misses ( I used a bit more than the othershooters  :D)
Pen
Cash for match fees
NRA and CMP ID# (if you have one)
NOTE:  target frames and paper targets are provided for the match.

2.  Read the NRA and/or CMP rulebooks for handgun requirements (weight, modifications, trigger weight, etc) and match rules.
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/
http://compete.nra.org/official-nra-rule-books.aspx

3.  Practice
Practice shooting one handed at the 25 and 50 yard lines and also dry practice at home.
Practice shooting within the time limits - Timed fire 5 shots in 20 seconds, Rapid fire 5 shots in 10 seconds.
Ask people for help at the range...the guys with the wood or metal gun boxes with the scopes attached.


Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
They don't have a webpage but you can get their info from the CMP:  https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubDisplay&club=173.
2017 Schedule
(Revised 6/18/2017)
July 30, 2017 (Sun) 0800-1200 hrs.   NRA-Approved 900 (.22); CMP  EIC RF and EIC Svc Pistol Match
Sep 9, 2017 (Sat) 0800-1200 hrs.      NRA-Approved 1800 Match
October 1, 2017 (Sun) 0800-1200 hrs.   Practice Match (NMCx4)
Oct 14-15, 2017 (Sat-Sun) 0800-1500 hrs.   Hawaii State Outdoor Pistol Championship and Dist. Revolver Match (NRA-Registered), CMP EIC Svc Pistol, EIC RF Match   
Nov 19, 2017 (Sun) 0800-1200 hrs.      1800 Thanksgiving Fun Match
Dec 17, 2017 (Sun) 0800-1200 hrs.      NRA-Approved 1800 Match

The match information is posted on the bulletin board at the range.  Or you can email the club for it.


My setup for the day, nothing special.


Had a good turnout with 16 shooters.


My best 50 yard target for the day.  The others will remain hidden.



Danger Close Tactical is in the house.


Top shooters can get awards, pins, and shooting badges from the NRA and CMP.

How do they help to ensure lawful firearms owners keep their 2A rights?! I saw a previous ding toward HRA from you, but have not seen/read anything about this club and their 2A activities.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippz

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »
How do they help to ensure lawful firearms owners keep their 2A rights?! I saw a previous ding toward HRA from you, but have not seen/read anything about this club and their 2A activities.

I'm not a member of the club so I don't know what else they do, but I'll take a guess.   They focus on the shooting competitions and not the political activities.  The part about being an NRA/CMP affiliate may have confused you.  Politics and 2a activism is the part of the NRA that makes the headlines and when people think NRA, they automatically think fighting for gun rights.  But it's actually a very small part of the NRA.  The NRA has (erased...see my other thread "What does the NRA do") and a lot more.

So CGCH is affiliated with the NRA & CMP focusing on the competition part.  By getting people to practice and compete in matches, they draw in more shooters and more NRA membership, which in turn strengthens the 2a community to fight for gun rights.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:19:25 PM by zippz »

ren

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 06:15:10 PM »
How do they help to ensure lawful firearms owners keep their 2A rights?! I saw a previous ding toward HRA from you, but have not seen/read anything about this club and their 2A activities.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they promote the shooting sports
Deeds Not Words

ren

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 06:19:16 PM »
Pistol is fine, just try out the match.  I suck at this one hand precision pistol thing, so I'll be getting more practice in.

You have to come on the line with the right equipment. Same thing when you shoot highpower. Sling up. But you choose to shoot HP like a combat match - which puts you about 10 steps back from the starting line. Learn to shoot with a sling. I know. People make fun of me at the Kokohead range when I practice. I hear it. "Shoot like a fag" was the latest remark a few weeks ago from a guy shooting a DPMS 308 on a bench.
I hear similar comments when shooting bullseye pistol.
Who gives a sh!t. That distinguished badge is the goal. :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
Like this?

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Bushido

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »
Pistol is fine, just try out the match.  I suck at this one hand precision pistol thing, so I'll be getting more practice in.

You know me, I'm not afraid to try new things and step out of my comfort zone. Keep me posted.

ren

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
Like this?



No. I meant with a rifle. Zippz is a combat shooter. In the game of highpower rifle and bullseye pistol the rules are different. You want tight groups. I'm still learning BE pistol. The stance is way different than in combat.
Deeds Not Words

zippz

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »
No. I meant with a rifle. Zippz is a combat shooter. In the game of highpower rifle and bullseye pistol the rules are different. You want tight groups. I'm still learning BE pistol. The stance is way different than in combat.

I've decided to be the jack of all trades, master of none.  Combat, defensive, bullseye, highpower, rifle/shotgun/pistol, instructor/coach, legislative, organizer,.....

ren

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
I've decided to be the jack of all trades, master of none.  Combat, defensive, bullseye, highpower, rifle/shotgun/pistol, instructor/coach, legislative, organizer,.....

Deeds Not Words

robtmc

Re: Chinese Gun Club of Hawaii
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 08:26:54 PM »
Funny, saw the thread title and thought of an article American Rifleman had quite a few months ago about the Chinese "Mauser" broomhandle.

Had a great shot of some Chinese troops proudly displaying their broomhandle pistols and other arms.  You saw those grinning guys and knew you would get along with them.