Advice on scope.... (Read 8748 times)

mrgaf

Advice on scope....
« on: August 04, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »
Ok got a 223 Browning X-Bolt  Hunter. Present scope is a Redfield Revenge 6-18x40. Scope is ok but not real happy with the clarity and, at max power there is more "ghosting" in the rear objective than I care to deal with. Since this is just a range gun, don't think the objective needs to be more than 44mm, besides higher X-bolt rings to accommodate a 50mm is a little expensive. I got spoiled a few years back with a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest. Exit pupil had zero ghosting around the edges at full power but it was boy a 3-9. My eyes are going south so I need a really clear scope. 4-14 power is minimum but 18 power would be ideal ( like to see the his on the paper using shoot n see targets'). Vortex, Nikon, Leupold Burris or Zeiss. Budget is $800.
Clarity at all powers and good exit pupil (think that what they call it) is very important. Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions! Thanks..... :shaka:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:24:22 PM by mrgaf »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Bushido

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 10:12:05 PM »
Vortex Viper PST 6-24 is on sale at several places due to making room for the Gen 2s. I have one, great scope!! On the other hand, I've heard good things about the Athlon Argos 6-24.

dogman

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
Vortex Viper PST 6-24 is on sale at several places due to making room for the Gen 2s.
Locally? I tried ordering one online but they won't take out the battery to ship.

Bushido

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
Locally? I tried ordering one online but they won't take out the battery to ship.
Really? I have never heard of that. I have a few illuminated reticle scopes and most were bought online.The Vortex HS-T line is similar to the PST without the illuminated reticle and a couple hundred cheaper. I like the HST reticle options better. The thing is the PSTs are on sale at many places, for close to the HST prices, because the Gen 2s are out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgaf

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 12:08:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Just took a look and unfortunately the Vipers have 30mm tubes and upgrading my x bolt rings would run another $40-50. I am looking at the 4-16x42 Diamondback though. Also looking at the Nikon Monarch line. Im just punching paper @ 100. Clarity is very important. Never looked thru a Vortex but have heard good things. Do you know If they compare with Nikons or leupold s in the clarity department?
Thanks!  :shaka:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

drck1000

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »
I have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP and I really like it. I believe they are excellent for the money.

I've shot guns with Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, etc. But each brand has so many lines, it's difficult to compare unless you get them side-by-side.

FWIW, I like Nikon scopes for budget to mid-range price scopes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogman

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
Really? I have never heard of that. I have a few illuminated reticle scopes and most were bought online.The Vortex HS-T line is similar to the PST without the illuminated reticle and a couple hundred cheaper. I like the HST reticle options better. The thing is the PSTs are on sale at many places, for close to the HST prices, because the Gen 2s are out.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just yesterday morning my online order with Midway wouldn't be processed (I knew why) so I called them and asked if they could ship the PST without the battery and they said no. I had the same experience previously with Brownells. I am hoping Primary Arms will put them on sale and maybe I will have better luck with them.  I have the HST and I really like it and I agree I like the simpler reticle better. I wanted the PST to try a FFP scope out . . . if I ever get to Puuloa.

Hey mrgraf you should see if this is still available. https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=27081.0 Even if you have to get new rings I think it would still be worth it.

Bushido

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »
Just yesterday morning my online order with Midway wouldn't be processed (I knew why) so I called them and asked if they could ship the PST without the battery and they said no. I had the same experience previously with Brownells. I am hoping Primary Arms will put them on sale and maybe I will have better luck with them.  I have the HST and I really like it and I agree I like the simpler reticle better. I wanted the PST to try a FFP scope out . . . if I ever get to Puuloa.

Hey mrgraf you should see if this is still available. https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=27081.0 Even if you have to get new rings I think it would still be worth it.

FFP and SFP have theire place.Each have therr pros and cons. Keep in mind a FFP scope's retilce increases in size witht magnification. I will never range with my scope so I prefer the SFP in Mil/Mil.

Bushido

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Just took a look and unfortunately the Vipers have 30mm tubes and upgrading my x bolt rings would run another $40-50. I am looking at the 4-16x42 Diamondback though. Also looking at the Nikon Monarch line. Im just punching paper @ 100. Clarity is very important. Never looked thru a Vortex but have heard good things. Do you know If they compare with Nikons or leupold s in the clarity department?
Thanks!  :shaka:

I will be at KHSC tomorrow. Let me know if you watnt to look through a few scopes. I will probably have a few with me.

mrgaf

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:47:13 PM »
Thanks for the offer. Can't make it tomorrow. Gots some "honey do's" to get done as promised  :worship: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:52:43 PM by mrgaf »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

mrgaf

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 10:49:24 PM »
I was able to look thru my friends two new vortex scopes though, both 4-14's. One was the Viper HS 44mm with BDC, the other a Diamondback HS 42mm. Visually there was no difference that I could see. Both presented excellent clarity but the Viper was a tiny bit brighter but clarity was exactly the same to me. The windage and elevation knobs on the Viper were nicer with a louder click when rotated and return to zero was easier as well. The Diamondback turrets were more "economy" that the Viper, rotated by using a coin or a shell base. The tactile feel was nice but the clicks were much softer than the Viper; not a deal breaker for me. The length of the Viper is about an inch longer than the Diamondback. Both "looked" nice. When I compared all the specs the exterior coatings were identical as was the optics. Other than the 30"" and 1" tubes, price, performance was nearly identical to these old eyes. As a result, I've decided on the Diamondback. Since I just poke holes in paper @ 100 felt his was the best bang for the buck. Ordered one from Amazon prime, fulfilled by prime for $359 + Tax, shipped free. Could have gotten it via prime for $359 no tax, free shipping thru a vendor but if I'm not satisfied, even after I mount it, I might have trouble returning it (past experience). With prime fulfilling it, there won't be that problem.
Thanks for everyone's help. It made making the choice much easier..... will keep Alcon posted....
Special thanks to Bushido for the offer 👍🏼😄
.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

rklapp

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 06:40:38 AM »
Natchez always seems to have good deals on scopes.

https://www.natchezss.com/optics/rifle-scopes.html
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

ren

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »
optical clarity from edge to edge is important and the ability to track. Those are the 2 factors that add to the cost of a scope.
A Nightforce rep recently explained why their scopes costs as much as they do. The ability to return to zero and track.
Deeds Not Words

Shoboshi

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
In the past month, I've ordered a flashlight with lithium batteries from Primaryarms.com and a Leupold VX-R from Natchezss.com
Both shipped to Hawaii no problem.

Inspector

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
I agree with DRCK1000 about the Nikon for low to mid priced scopes. I have both Prostaff and Monarchs. The Monarchs are pretty good at max magnification. But there is slight darkening around the edges. For the price I paid I am okay with this as I don't use it at max power since 100 yards is all we usually shoot at. I also have a couple of Leupolds and I feel they perform at similar levels as the much more expensive German scopes. For what you are asking I would look at a VX-III at a minimum. Of course it is best if you can look through one before you buy it. I don't have any experience with the Vortex scopes. I did check one out at Prime Sports once and the glass was nice and clear even at max magnification. But I was looking for a target reticle or a fine reticle and the reticle did not fit my needs.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

dogman

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 05:37:02 AM »
Has anyone had experience with Sightron?

Bushido

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 05:58:33 AM »
Has anyone had experience with Sightron?
I do not but I'm planning to


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavies

Re: Advice on scope....
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »
Has anyone had experience with Sightron?

I have a Sightron 20X fixed, it is an awesome scope.  Fixed is great just for range or static target shooting.  Sucks for hunting, not enough FOV.