Scratches on upper receiver (Read 2814 times)

aaronc5362

Scratches on upper receiver
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:13:12 PM »
So I Google fu'd it and no direct answer can be found.

Just wanting your guys opinions or possible experience.

I have a spikes upper receiver that's been laying around for quite some time. Maybe 3-4 months old. Finally took it out of the package today and noticed 2 scratches or gouge on the upper receiver unerneathe the barrel nut threading. I didn't install any barrel. I just was oiling it because I noticed the inside looked white ish. Maybe the anodizing isn't well applied. Anyways, do you think it's safe to use? I used a toothpick and plastic cleaning pick and there is a noticeable difference. If it were anyplace else I'd use it, but being under where the barrel extension goes, idk... Lol I mean the anodizing is completely off. Some threading (closer to muzzle end) looks flat. Doubt anyone tried to use it before cause the anodizing on threads is still there. Bought from aim surplus I think... I got a dud lol

Thanks for any input.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Scratches on upper receiver
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:10:17 AM »
Did you buy this as a blemished item (discounted?).  If so, those are likely the blemished areas and are okay.  Spikes Tactical would have inspected it already and found only cosmetic issues.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Scratches on upper receiver
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:39:21 AM »
I just checked my Spike's flattop upper that's been sitting in the safe for over 2 years, along with a Spike's Zombie lower.

The finish on both are perfect.  No scratches or gouges.  Also, no white-ish-ness ...   :D

Have you stored the receiver in a safe with humidity control?  In an A/C cooled room?  If it's stored in a shoebox in the closet and subjected to Hawaii temps and humidity without any kind of protectant, there's no telling what could cause the finish to look that way.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Scratches on upper receiver
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:51:06 AM »
Just checked my receipt.  Bought the upper from Primary Arms in 2014 for $79.99.

Checked their site today, and the same item is selling for $103.50.

I was double-checking I didn't order a blemished item, and I didn't.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

aaronc5362

Re: Scratches on upper receiver
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:18:31 AM »
Thanks flapp.

Uh once in a while the ac turns on in the room but other than that it sat in one of my safes with silica packs. One safe for guns the other for parts and ammo. Lol. Yeah I think it was 103-104 I paid for. I don't think it was a blemished item haha. I guess I'll try give them a call today and ask. Yeah I got a few spikes lowers and all seem pristine. First time I seen this white ish coating. It looks like gray or like a faded/peeling clear coat on a car. It's not a super smooth feel to it but I guess I could live with that. I pretty much only use niB bcg anyways for ease of maintenance. Lol I lazy.

Yeah my only concern was the marks scratches inside. I do understand that the barrel extension and chamber takes all the psi, but that's where it connects to receiver. It's not a super deep scratch but the anodized finish is missing and it doesn't appear to go deep or appear to be a cracked receiver. At least I hope not.

But thanks again