I wrote Schatz immediately after his comments in the form of slightly changing some of Schatz's words so that it applied to Schatz from me, rather than Trump from Schatz. Just got this response via email, and, of course, he doesn't really address anything that actually happened, just his made up version. What a fucking asshole (again). Trump didn't even come close to making any "moral equivalencies", he merely stated, in accord with the evidence, that both sides were responsible for violent acts.

Dear Mr. [Punaperson],
Thank you for contacting me. I have noted your comments regarding my criticism of President Donald Trump's response to the incident in Charlottesville.
I understand that President Trump was elected through a free and fair election. But an integral part of any president's job is moral leadership, to condemn hate and violence and not to make false moral equivalencies between racists and those that oppose them. It is not a Republican or Democrat issue. It is a matter of right and wrong. I believe President Trump failed in his response to Charlottesville.
Racism and bigotry have no place in our country. We must all work together to protect the hard won progress we have made as a nation and remain faithful to the promise of "a more perfect union."
Mahalo again for taking the time to contact me.
Sincerely,
BRIAN SCHATZ
U.S. Senator