Question for CCW (Read 7526 times)

noir.stella.cadente

Question for CCW
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »
I know Oahu CCW was (or still is) not friendly about issuing conceal carry. I've looked up that X-ray range or something like that can issue you a Arizona CCW licence. Are you able to use that on the island or only applicable states? I'm a bit weary of crimes happening on the island and ever since my father passed away about 2-3 years ago, I pretty much became "the man of house" over my mother and sister. I have been pondering about CC because I have bilateral injured shoulders from service that probably might hinder me when defending myself/family with my conceal knife during physical strength(if when such untimely event were to occurre). I know, rather a lame reason but, it is a honest one. Is there any light to be shed on this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ren

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:42:54 PM »
Here in Hawaii there is no CCW reciprocity what so ever. Unless you are LEO.
Best thing to have is 911 on your mobile phone.
Even buying pepper spray you have to fill out some type of City form.
Deeds Not Words

zippz

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »
Arizona is a popular CCW to get nowadays due to it's very liberal training requirement, they'll take a DD214.  I still highly recommend taking a CCW course and additional training beyond that to cover skills, laws, and liability.

No chance for CCW in Hawaii anytime soon unless Congress passes the CCW reciprocity act.

noir.stella.cadente

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:08:17 PM »
I am currently majoring in Administration of Justice, so I actually am studying into law. Considering I like to be well documented in a positive way. I'll happily take the course/training on my summer break or whenever fits during semester

I appreciate all your response. I'll start calling them up and hear more for myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

oldfart

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »
Here in Hawaii there is no CCW reciprocity what so ever. Unless you are LEO.
Best thing to have is 911 on your mobile phone.
Even buying pepper spray you have to fill out some type of City form.
...
Or get a big dog
What, Me Worry?

noir.stella.cadente

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »
...
Or get a big dog
I'd love a GSD, unfortunately, owner won't let me own any pets. Paying 1200 a month for rent itself is already hassle for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rklapp

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »
You can carry all you want in your own home. You can also defend yourself in your home if you can prove self defense.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/vol14_Ch0701-0853/HRS0703/HRS_0703-0304.htm

§703-304  Use of force in self-protection.  (1)  Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 703-308, the use of force upon or toward another person is justifiable when the actor believes that such force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself against the use of unlawful force by the other person on the present occasion.
     (2)  The use of deadly force is justifiable under this section if the actor believes that deadly force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping, rape, or forcible sodomy.
     (3)  Except as otherwise provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section, a person employing protective force may estimate the necessity thereof under the circumstances as he believes them to be when the force is used without retreating, surrendering possession, doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do, or abstaining from any lawful action.
     (4)  The use of force is not justifiable under this section:
     (a)  To resist an arrest which the actor knows is being made by a law enforcement officer, although the arrest is unlawful; or
     (b)  To resist force used by the occupier or possessor of property or by another person on his behalf, where the actor knows that the person using the force is doing so under a claim of right to protect the property, except that this limitation shall not apply if:
          (i)  The actor is a public officer acting in the performance of his duties or a person lawfully assisting him therein or a person making or assisting in a lawful arrest; or
         (ii)  The actor believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily injury.
     (5)  The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section if:
     (a)  The actor, with the intent of causing death or serious bodily injury, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or
     (b)  The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:
          (i)  The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling or place of work, unless he was the initial aggressor or is assailed in his place of work by another person whose place of work the actor knows it to be; and
         (ii)  A public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties, or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape, is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform his duty, effect the arrest, or prevent the escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom the action is directed.
     (6)  The justification afforded by this section extends to the use of confinement as protective force only if the actor takes all reasonable measures to terminate the confinement as soon as he knows that he safely can, unless the person confined has been arrested on a charge of crime.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

noir.stella.cadente

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »
You can carry all you want in your own home. You can also defend yourself in your home if you can prove self defense.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/vol14_Ch0701-0853/HRS0703/HRS_0703-0304.htm

§703-304  Use of force in self-protection.  (1)  Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 703-308, the use of force upon or toward another person is justifiable when the actor believes that such force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself against the use of unlawful force by the other person on the present occasion.
     (2)  The use of deadly force is justifiable under this section if the actor believes that deadly force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping, rape, or forcible sodomy.
     (3)  Except as otherwise provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section, a person employing protective force may estimate the necessity thereof under the circumstances as he believes them to be when the force is used without retreating, surrendering possession, doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do, or abstaining from any lawful action.
     (4)  The use of force is not justifiable under this section:
     (a)  To resist an arrest which the actor knows is being made by a law enforcement officer, although the arrest is unlawful; or
     (b)  To resist force used by the occupier or possessor of property or by another person on his behalf, where the actor knows that the person using the force is doing so under a claim of right to protect the property, except that this limitation shall not apply if:
          (i)  The actor is a public officer acting in the performance of his duties or a person lawfully assisting him therein or a person making or assisting in a lawful arrest; or
         (ii)  The actor believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily injury.
     (5)  The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section if:
     (a)  The actor, with the intent of causing death or serious bodily injury, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or
     (b)  The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:
          (i)  The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling or place of work, unless he was the initial aggressor or is assailed in his place of work by another person whose place of work the actor knows it to be; and
         (ii)  A public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties, or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape, is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform his duty, effect the arrest, or prevent the escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom the action is directed.
     (6)  The justification afforded by this section extends to the use of confinement as protective force only if the actor takes all reasonable measures to terminate the confinement as soon as he knows that he safely can, unless the person confined has been arrested on a charge of crime.
Haha, thank you. I understand this already. I am already permitted to own pistol. It's just a matter of hoping it won't have to come to the action of using it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

stangzilla

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 07:02:24 AM »
I know Oahu CCW was (or still is) not friendly about issuing conceal carry. I've looked up that X-ray range or something like that can issue you a Arizona CCW licence. Are you able to use that on the island or only applicable states? I'm a bit weary of crimes happening on the island and ever since my father passed away about 2-3 years ago, I pretty much became "the man of house" over my mother and sister. I have been pondering about CC because I have bilateral injured shoulders from service that probably might hinder me when defending myself/family with my conceal knife during physical strength(if when such untimely event were to occurre). I know, rather a lame reason but, it is a honest one. Is there any light to be shed on this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

if you'd like an Arizona CCW license, you can simply apply by mail.  you can check requirements online.  certain requirements are needed to apply, NRA certified safety course is one of them, which any Hawaii NRA safety course will work.
then you set yourself up for if/when national reciprocity comes about.

noir.stella.cadente

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 07:05:40 AM »
if you'd like an Arizona CCW license, you can simply apply by mail.  you can check requirements online.  certain requirements are needed to apply, NRA certified safety course is one of them, which any Hawaii NRA safety course will work.
then you set yourself up for if/when national reciprocity comes about.
I took a pistol safety course already, I believe. Would a permit itself be enough?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

stangzilla

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:23:59 AM »
I took a pistol safety course already, I believe. Would a permit itself be enough?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I forget their exact requirements.  would have to go back and read their requirements on their website.
iirc, you are Marines, correct?  not sure if that would work.  it might.

https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp

zippz

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:28:02 AM »
I took a pistol safety course already, I believe. Would a permit itself be enough?

Arizona will take just about any type of firearms training.  I still recommend a CCW course.  Military training is completely different from CCW training.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
Arizona will take just about any type of firearms training.  I still recommend a CCW course.  Military training is completely different from CCW training.

Check the individual state's laws.  They may have a time limit for the training.  When I applied for Maine CCW non-resident, they needed a training certificate within the last 5 years.  My Hawaii handgun training affidavit worked fine.  If a DD214 is also accepted,, it should not fall under the time limit.

I chose Maine because they were the easiest and was honored in the states I planned to travel in at the time.  No fingerprints needed, no special CCW training class, no specific range tests -- just fill out the forms, provide required copies of ID and training, and include your check.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

noir.stella.cadente

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »
Check the individual state's laws.  They may have a time limit for the training.  When I applied for Maine CCW non-resident, they needed a training certificate within the last 5 years.  My Hawaii handgun training affidavit worked fine.  If a DD214 is also accepted,, it should not fall under the time limit.

I chose Maine because they were the easiest and was honored in the states I planned to travel in at the time.  No fingerprints needed, no special CCW training class, no specific range tests -- just fill out the forms, provide required copies of ID and training, and include your check.
Appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

Re: Question for CCW
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
Google USA CCW Resiprocity.  You click what permit you have and it will tell you what states honor it.  So if you choose to get a Utah instead or other states, this map will help you.