Storing lead projectiles (Read 11353 times)

stangzilla

Storing lead projectiles
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »
Usually I store my ammo and bullets in air tight containers, but there was a box that I left out for maybe a year and it has some white oxidation on it now and it's hard to get off
Are these no good anymore?
What's the best way to store lead bullets?

Inspector

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
Usually I store my ammo and bullets in air tight containers, but there was a box that I left out for maybe a year and it has some white oxidation on it now and it's hard to get off
Are these no good anymore?
What's the best way to store lead bullets?
I usually store my lead and jacketed bullets in air tight containers. I shoot my lead if they oxidize and I have not noticed a difference. I have never tried to remove the oxidation. There is nothing wrong with shooting oxidized bullets, except how they look.

Choot 'em!!!!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

rklapp

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »
Are these copper jacketed bullets or uncoated lead bullets?
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

ren

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »
Are these copper jacketed bullets or uncoated lead bullets?

boolits
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:55:40 PM »
Are they powder or Alox coated? The coating should protect the lead from oxidation but maybe not.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

stangzilla

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:40:33 PM »
Are these copper jacketed bullets or uncoated lead bullets?

uncoated lead bullets
I also have some copper plated bullets but these look good still, they are in a container.  does copper plated oxidize differently?

Are they powder or Alox coated? The coating should protect the lead from oxidation but maybe not.

I'm not sure

rklapp

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 11:10:54 PM »
I believe so. I have both powder and alox coated boolits and was wondering if these are at risk in the short term.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

oldfart

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »
White stuff on lead is not oxidation.
Lead oxide is yellow colored.
That white stuff is probably lead carbonate.
Which means the lead that was used might have some car battery in it.
Where these cast boolits made locally?
Good boolit casters know not to use car battery lead. Too much chemical contamination.
However it's possible that the caster used salvaged fishing weights.
Guys who make fishing weights are not picky about their alloy.

The lead carbonate won't hurt your gun as the steel bbl is much harder than that stuff.
My only concern would be airborne lead carbonate particles.
If there aren't too many I wouldn't worry. ....If it is thousands, I would get paranoid.

Questions.
1.How many you got?
2. Can you show me a picture of the boolits?


What, Me Worry?

rklapp

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »
That's what I was wondering. I've seen both white and yellow corrosion on bullets but could be from the photography.

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

stangzilla

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 07:21:28 AM »
White stuff on lead is not oxidation.
Lead oxide is yellow colored.
That white stuff is probably lead carbonate.
Which means the lead that was used might have some car battery in it.
Where these cast boolits made locally?
Good boolit casters know not to use car battery lead. Too much chemical contamination.
However it's possible that the caster used salvaged fishing weights.
Guys who make fishing weights are not picky about their alloy.

The lead carbonate won't hurt your gun as the steel bbl is much harder than that stuff.
My only concern would be airborne lead carbonate particles.
If there aren't too many I wouldn't worry. ....If it is thousands, I would get paranoid.

Questions.
1.How many you got?
2. Can you show me a picture of the boolits?

its about 300 projectiles from xtremebullets
i'll get a picture later when I get home

stangzilla

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »
That's what I was wondering. I've seen both white and yellow corrosion on bullets but could be from the photography.



that's what it looks like

oldfart

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 09:13:29 AM »
On 22 ammo I think that white stuff is dried lube.
I have relubed dried up 22 before. It needs it.
You need something in the knurled section. That is the bearing/driving band surface.
What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 09:28:58 AM »
mine could be dried lube.  it has that waxy lube on them, and it does get on the bullets.
i'll be sure to get a pic later

rklapp

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
Maybe use a liquid lube to try and take the white substance off? What product do you suggest, alox?
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

oldfart

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
Maybe use a liquid lube to try and take the white substance off? What product do you suggest, alox?
....
Maybe Lee liquid alox. But you can't get it on the brass.
I threw some ammo in a plastic bag and squirted a little oil inside.
But only lube what you going to use right away.

By the way, ALOX and Lee liquid ALOX are 2 different animals.

Real ALOX is a heavy brown grease like brown Vaseline. See pic.
LLA is something else. I tried it and did not like it.
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
I guess pour some liquid alox onto a rag and wipe the heads down without getting it on the brass until it dries.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

ren

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
I guess pour some liquid alox onto a rag and wipe the heads boolits down without getting it on the brass until it dries.
Deeds Not Words

stangzilla

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 04:52:44 PM »
the bullets in question haven't been reloaded yet, so they're not in the brass yet.
i'll give it a try tonight, although I don't have any alox
i'll just try see if it'll clean off with some ballistol or something for now

oldfart

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »
the bullets in question haven't been reloaded yet, so they're not in the brass yet.
i'll give it a try tonight, although I don't have any alox
i'll just try see if it'll clean off with some ballistol or something for now
...
Curious to see what you're talking about.
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

Re: Storing lead projectiles
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
I saw a bottle of it for sale at SEC. It might protect the lead "boolits" from further corrosion compared to Ballistol or both might work fine.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/